Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an e-mail from Z1 today (it's after midnight, so yesterday) introducing this Oil Cooler for the Q50/60 (RWD). At first, I thought $600 - $740 (depending on options) was very pricey (which I guess it is) but, after watching the video, there is quite a bit of engineering that went behind it, especially a design that works with the Red Sport and the non-Red Sport, low profile sandwich plate, custom mounting bracket, etc.

I'm done with mods that require the front bumper cover to come off and on yet again, so I think I am out. Plus, not sure how this will affect the heat exchanger and radiator by continuously stacking in front? But it's an option for those looking for a quality oil cooler. I'd recommend the Thermostatic $40 option. Most of us can forgo the $100 25 row exchanger, 20 row should be fine.

Reactions: Alto101

·
Registered
93 Posts
I posted on Facebook to their product announcement and asked about an AWD version. They said it is coming but no date yet. I will likely go down this route when before I get tuned since I track the car but I think the Red Sport stock cooler is decent (looking for data on that if you have any).

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted on Facebook to their product announcement and asked about an AWD version. They said it is coming but no date yet. I will likely go down this route when before I get tuned since I track the car but I think the Red Sport stock cooler is decent (looking for data on that if you have any).
I agree. I am happy to know that the RS400 has a cooler and that it is a thermostatic system. It looks like the non-RS design is a bad one, trying to use engine coolant to cool the engine oil. But that's all I know. I, too, would like to know the efficiency of the stock RS cooler.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I have a Red Sport, and although it has a small oil cooler, it still has one.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Hmmm feels a bit pricey still even with the engineering work and mounting bracket, would expect this to be $400 or $500 at the most.
May ping Z1 to see if they can post some performance figures for before/after mod.

Reactions: Alto101

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,379 Posts
I have a Red Sport, and although it has a small oil cooler, it still has one.
Most men won't admit to having anything "small". You are to be commended on your honesty.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,266 Posts
It looks like the non-RS design is a bad one, trying to use engine coolant to cool the engine oil. But that's all I know. I, too, would like to know the efficiency of the stock RS cooler.
It’s pretty good in regards to aiding warm up.
Unless you can identify it contributing to oil pressure issues, which I doubt is an issue. I would not want to delete it. Only add a cooler in conjunction with it.

You can essentially make this kit and use on rwd/awd for $300 or less. Oil coolers and catch cans always have large mark ups for something so simple.

And if you already have the stock factory real cooler then this is useless unless you are having overheating issues on the track.

Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hun¿ like a gorilla...

I'm hung like a newborn baby boy....................

8 pounds, 18 inches long baby!

But, in all seriousness, it's about 2"........................

from the ground!

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I'm hung like a newborn baby boy....................

8 pounds, 18 inches long baby!

But, in all seriousness, it's about 2"........................

from the ground!
I was wondering where this was going...

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
659 Posts
BonnieClyde Racing is selling an Oil cooler kit, you can find them on instagram.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
659 Posts
No regular website?
I checked their website, and for some odd reason it is not listed! It is, however, available upon request on instagram as far as I am aware

·
Registered
RWD 2016 Q50 Premuim 3.0t
70 Posts
I was debating adding this kit to my Q later down the line or after I’m tuned. Hopefully after someone else has tested it.

I have the premium so no oil cooler. I change my oil every 5k and drive in stop and go traffic in LA highways for around an hour. Then cruising at around 2k above on the RPMS on my way home in 7th gear for around 20 min. Needless to say I find my oil very black at that interval. I was curious if adding the cooler would help protect my oil better from breaking down. I’m sitting around 90k miles and I just barely added a catch can. Still yet to hit 1k miles with it to check the oil condition.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I was debating adding this kit to my Q later down the line or after I’m tuned. Hopefully after someone else has tested it.

I have the premium so no oil cooler. I change my oil every 5k and drive in stop and go traffic in LA highways for around an hour. Then cruising at around 2k above on the RPMS on my way home in 7th gear for around 20 min. Needless to say I find my oil very black at that interval. I was curious if adding the cooler would help protect my oil better from breaking down. I’m sitting around 90k miles and I just barely added a catch can. Still yet to hit 1k miles with it to check the oil condition.
Don't sweat the color of the oil. It being black just means it is doing its job of collecting contaminants from the engine. My oil is usually black long before I get to my 5000 mile change interval.

Reactions: Q50_joaquin

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I have the premium so no oil cooler. I change my oil every 5k and drive in stop and go traffic in LA highways for around an hour. Then cruising at around 2k above on the RPMS on my way home in 7th gear for around 20 min. Needless to say I find my oil very black at that interval.
What brand of oil are you using and what viscosity?

Also, have you incorporated the shorter dipstick to provide an additional 1/2 qt of measured capacity? The dipstick is applicable to pre-MY2019 VR30s, when it was introduced as a mid-year update.

I would also get a UOA done to see how much life is left in your oil @ 5k mile OCIs, considering the daily stop-and-go driving you've described.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What brand of oil are you using and what viscosity?

Also, have you incorporated the shorter dipstick to provide an additional 1/2 qt of measured capacity? The dipstick is applicable to pre-MY2019 VR30s, when it was introduced as a mid-year update.

I would also get a UOA done to see how much life is left in your oil @ 5k mile OCIs, considering the daily stop-and-go driving you've described.
I just started using around Valvoline High Mileage 5W-30 around 75k before I had been using the advanced 5w-30 option. I still use advanced when I don’t find the high mileage one the day of the oil change. Mobile 1 filter with each oil change.

I did do the shorter Dipstick.

i have never looked into doing a UOA I’m actually kinda scared it will come up with something.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I just started using around Valvoline High Mileage 5W-30 around 75k before I had been using the advanced 5w-30 option. I still use advanced when I don’t find the high mileage one the day of the oil change. Mobile 1 filter with each oil change.
So I have been using Valvoline Modern Engine Oil 5W30 for about 17k miles w/5k OCIs. Valvoline discontinued the Modern Engine formulation, however, they replaced it with the Extended Protection version, which is supposed to have a similar formulation, which includes dispersants to manage soot in the oil, a byproduct of direct injection, which contributes to turning the oil black.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...-Synthetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-QT/362333163

I'd recommend trying it for your next OCI (I will be doing the same).

Reactions: Q50_joaquin

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I have been using Valvoline Modern Engine Oil 5W30 for about 17k miles w/5k OCIs. Valvoline discontinued the Modern Engine formulation, however, they replaced it with the Extended Protection version, which is supposed to have a similar formulation, which includes dispersants to manage soot in the oil, a byproduct of direct injection, which contributes to turning the oil black.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...-Synthetic-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-QT/362333163

I'd recommend trying it for your next OCI (I will be doing the same).
I read the description of the oil and it’s better than the high mileage. A year ago or so I went to valvoline to see what they recommend for my car and they said high mileage. At the time I don’t think extended protection was on their website. Today I did the same valvoline product search and they recommended Extended Protection over high mileage with advanced formula following high mileage. So I will be doing the switch to Extended protection. Thank you

Product Recommender

1 - 19 of 19 Posts