Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Article is over 3 months old...
Infiniti Q50 outsold the IS even for November and December.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
That article seems a little factually dubious, but whatever floats their boat. They seem to actually think that the G37 was "supersized" (less than 1 inch longer than a V35 G sedan), and that the Q50 competes with the GS and CTS (it's much smaller).

And how many sales could Lexus be stealing from BMW? 5? The 3/4 series were up 20% in 2013. Sure, the IS is up 26.4%, but they weren't moving many until the new model came around. In 2012, 2,500 was a good month, while the 3's worst was 6,206, and it nearly doubled that performance in its best months. They weren't even a blip on BMW's radar. I was also under the impression that real BMW enthusiasts crave manual transmissions. Where's the IS's?:eek:

Even the Audi A4 was up 7.6% in 2013. One wonders if this is simply growth in the entry luxury market, what with more buyers being younger and an improving economy post-Boosh.

It's more likely that they are stealing sales from Infiniti, but again, the Q50 is outperforming the old G37 sedan totals from last year, so is this really happening? Acura sedan sales are down dramatically, so there may be more truth in that than in any other points.

Article is over 3 months old...
Infiniti Q50 outsold the IS even for November and December.
That might explain it. :) In November, it wasn't even close between the Q50 and IS. The Q made up a lot of ground in that month.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Lexus is grabbing younger buyers. Quite a feat when you look at the price of the car.

Infinti did this with the affordable G series. But it looks like Infiniti is about to pull an Acura.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Lexus is grabbing younger buyers. Quite a feat when you look at the price of the car.

Infinti did this with the affordable G series. But it looks like Infiniti is about to pull an Acura.
I don't think so. Call me when Q50 sales are down 30-50% from where they were last year. That's the reality of where Acura sedans are at the moment. The RLX shot up briefly as an exception, because RL sales were near single-digits at the end of its life cycle.

·
Registered
148 Posts

We all hate to say it, but Lexus seems to be flip-flopping with Infiniti in regards for sportiness vs luxury value. I think the Q50 is the start of a lesser version of "Inspired Performance" (even though the Q50S most likely hangs just fine with the IS350 F-Sport). And younger buyers are drawn to that....price or no price.

Now, if they were buying Avalons and Camrys, THEN I would be really worried.

I dont think Infiniti is about to pull an Acura, but without a redesigned coupe in the mix (and at least another day or two without the power-monster Eau Rouge announced), it seems like Infiniti may take back seat (no pun) to Lexus in the sport(ier)-luxury market.

And I dont think Infiniti is going to roll over and let that play out either, so just wait until they announce their performance branding and then the redesigned coupe. I have a feeling (and hope) they will surprise us.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Chris, well stated, and as you alluded, if the Eau Rouge makes production with the GT-R power train, then Infiniti will regain the sportier image over Lexus instantly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Chris, well stated, and as you alluded, if the Eau Rouge makes production with the GT-R power train, then Infiniti will regain the sportier image over Lexus instantly.
Well, almost positive it wont have the GT-R drivetrain. Its been stated by one of the Infiniti execs close to the project that it will be an all new drivetrain *to Infiniti*.

Personally the "to Infiniti" part leads me to believe its going to be something coming from their information/tech-share with Mercedes.

I dont think it will be as powerful as the GT-R, unless they want to turn the Q50ER into a car that costs 80 or 90K....while its great to say they would, the reality is you put this thing at 80 or 90K, and I walk across the street to the Porsche dealer and buy a 911 (or Panamera)

I wouldnt be surprised to see a turboed 4 banger (dare I say it), but the exhaust sound tease from last week sure didnt sound like 4 cylinders. If Im wrong about the new to Infiniti part, it could very well be a twin turboed 3.7L.....most aftermarket solutions have proved its possible, but Im not sure about reliable.

Does Mercedes have anything in the way of turboed 6 cylinders? I know they have the AMG CL-A but thats not putting out THAT much more HP than a stock Q50. Unless they market it as "+70HP AND even better mpg!"

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Well, almost positive it wont have the GT-R drivetrain. Its been stated by one of the Infiniti execs close to the project that it will be an all new drivetrain *to Infiniti*.

Personally the "to Infiniti" part leads me to believe its going to be something coming from their information/tech-share with Mercedes.

I dont think it will be as powerful as the GT-R, unless they want to turn the Q50ER into a car that costs 80 or 90K....while its great to say they would, the reality is you put this thing at 80 or 90K, and I walk across the street to the Porsche dealer and buy a 911 (or Panamera)

I wouldnt be surprised to see a turboed 4 banger (dare I say it), but the exhaust sound tease from last week sure didnt sound like 4 cylinders. If Im wrong about the new to Infiniti part, it could very well be a twin turboed 3.7L.....most aftermarket solutions have proved its possible, but Im not sure about reliable.

Does Mercedes have anything in the way of turboed 6 cylinders? I know they have the AMG CL-A but thats not putting out THAT much more HP than a stock Q50. Unless they market it as "+70HP AND even better mpg!"
De Nysschen said it would have over 500 hp and 600 lb.-ft. torque. That's definitely over the current GT-R. My guess is that both the Eau Rouge and the next GT-R will be getting a new power train, especially since they heavily implied the new GT-R would be a hybrid. If anything, I think we're going to see something not unlike the Essence power train. My hope is something of an evolution of the GT-R, but it could just as easily end up being something from Benz; although, I hope they don't go that route. It's not impressive to build a new performance car and say, "By the way, we didn't have the resources the build the power plant." I hope the MB engines will be restricted to more efficient models until Nissan/Infiniti can properly refine their own turbo 4.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Luckily we should be finding out this week, right?

I still think its going to be a turboed version of the current 3.7L. One of the latest articles about the car has a bunch of people commenting on how the engine sounds like a turboed G37 sounds. And those cars are putting out close to the numbers he is talking about

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lexus IS is not better than Infiniti Q50, but it is a success. The point of the article is that it shut the critics up. The way some critics were bashing the IS looks made it seem as if the IS will sell around 900 units a month or something. That's the point.

The other point I personally thought was impressive is that Lexus have created another volume seller. That's three volume sellers for one Brand(IS/ES/RX). Do I think Lexus will regain the Luxury Crown over Mercedes? No. Do I think they will take 2nd place this year over BMW? Yes.

IS is a great success compared to the PREVIOUS model and it is undeniably desirable and different. It stands out.

Best deal in it's segment? Of course the Q50(it is a direct competitor to the 3 Series/IS/ATS, not GS).

I'm sorry. I don't mean to diss any BMW Fans, but come on there is no freaking way the 328I looks better or more unique than the IS or Q50. BMW is really looking out dated with the 3 Series. It just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lexus IS is not better than Infiniti Q50, but it is a success. The point of the article is that it shut the critics up. The way some critics were bashing the IS looks made it seem as if the IS will sell around 900 units a month or something. That's the point.

The other point I personally thought was impressive is that Lexus have created another volume seller. That's three volume sellers for one Brand(IS/ES/RX). Do I think Lexus will regain the Luxury Crown over Mercedes? No. Do I think they will take 2nd place this year over BMW? Yes.

IS is a great success compared to the PREVIOUS model and it is undeniably desirable and different. It stands out.

Best deal in it's segment? Of course the Q50(it is a direct competitor to the 3 Series/IS/ATS, not GS).

I'm sorry. I don't mean to diss any BMW Fans, but come on there is no freaking way the 328I looks better or more unique than the IS or Q50. BMW is really looking out dated with the 3 Series. It just doesn't do it for me.
I hear you on BMW....I was just at the local shopping mall today and seeing a brand new 3 series just doesnt do what it used to for me. The basic design seems old and overused at this point.

While Im not a huge fan of the front end on the Q50, you have to admit it stands out at least a little bit.

I still have trouble differentiating between it and...guess what? the Lexus IS, when the car is being driven straight at me

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was recently parked next to a new BMW 328. The owner drove off in such a din of unrefined clatter, that I had to look to see if it was a diesel. It wasn't.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Surge in 2014 Lexus IS sports sedan sales defies critics - Torque News

This is really impressive, considering that BMW/AUDI/INFINITI'S primary money makers are the 3/A4/G/Q Series. Lexus never relied on the IS to make money, that's their 'niche' segment. Now the IS is becoming one of their new money making lineups.

Something not being factored in was IS sales were dropping big time.
Dec 2012 2,497 ( vs 2012 3,629 -25% y-over-y)

They built a nice looking car with the re-fresh.
So a jump in sales should be expected.

You may have also had people putting off buying/leasing to wait for the new model.

I'm not sure about all the "sport" car talk either being thrown around in this thread.
I don't consider an IS-250 really a sport car.
It's not really a fast car.
It's definitely a nice and good looking car of course.
I see way more 250's than 350's in the bay area.
I would hate to generalize there are way more 250's than 350's, but it does look that way at least where I live.

But it looks like Infiniti is about to pull an Acura.
Idiotic comment like usual.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Just saw this after posting my last comment.
It does look like a success.
It's a sharp looking car.
But I guess we'll have to see how the sales go for the rest of the year to see for sure.
Per my prior comments trailing sales were falling so badly.
A re-fresh did them well. ;)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Right now the only one I'm aware of is the twin-turbo V6 that just came out in Europe with the new E400 and C400 models. This engine is to replace the current 3.5-liter M276 (an underrated jewel, I absolutely adored it in my E350 rental! Sound, character and power delivery reminded me of a smoother VQ!), as well as the E550's M278 4.6-liter V8. It's rated at roughly 330 hp and 354 ft/lb peak torque, and a assume a nice, fat, broad torque curve similar to BMW's turbocharged I-6 engines. But that's not nearly powerful enough to be the rumored Q50ER motor with the stats JdN hinted... at least, not without major surgery. The engine does sound very nice, albeit quite different from what we heard in the ER clips. Then again, this is in the ultra-hushed, refinement-first E-class application.

They're supposed to return to inline-6 engines with the next E-class, due in 2016 or 2017. That will be pretty cool to see after their 20 year hiatus from the configuration. It also will really make BMW sweat.:D Maybe Nissan will get with the program and develop one of their own... nah, Ghosn is too cheap.:p

The CLA AMG engine is a turbocharged inline-4, and a sweet and beastly one at that. But that's not enough for the ER, which shall have to contend with turbocharged I-6 (M3) and V8 (C63, RS4) powerplants. I could see an ER version of the upcoming Q30 using the CLA45 engine, if they choose to make one, as the platform is shared with the CLA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.