Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
There would be a restriction in the upper rev range but it wouldn't be much. I can't give real world number because I haven't tested it but my wildly inaccurate guess would be something like 10-15rwhp/tq at 6000rpm+ once you get past 425rwhp and go up exponentially from there. There would be no noticeable difference in everyday driving.

If the shop doesn't have access to a mandrel bender, you can buy two 90s and two ~15° bends for about $150-$200 to replicate the exhaust shop version above. They would just cut n weld up. Those welds won't last as long as normal because they probably won't fill the tube with a nitrogen before welding. It will still last many, many years though.
Exactly my point. All you're paying for is "scene points" spending thousands on an exhaust system.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,154 Posts
❤❤❤. That was my youngest daughter. Came out to check on me due to hearing the cars start and garage open this morning.. lol
CUTE! Someone should have asked on your warm starts though...any time someone is starting the car with a closed garage someone should ask that!

• Haha
Reactions: 95nBlown

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
One's been engineered and tested, the other is a bunch of welded pipe.
Then you never had Joe at Joe's muffler weld up 2.5" pipes. No bending pipes whatsoever.

Unfortunately, Joe closed down about 4 years ago. He was an old timer.

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I am very happy with my performance improvements so far, but I wanted to come here and see what mods/changes I should do next to improve my results. I feel I am currently just above stock RS levels, and I really want to push a bit past that. Curious if my current plan looks okay.

I have about $2,500 set aside that I can comfortably blow on mods so I was thinking spend this $500 now and then sell the JB4 (~$300) down the road and buy a Racebox tune/LPFP/AMS FF kit. Taking baby steps for now until warranty ends next month. That's why I am skipping EWG wires.

What do y'all think? Should I make any changes? Any better use of my cash?

Current Mods
Buying this weekend
  • JB4 w/Fuel Wires (installed)
  • Megan Racing Lower Downpipe
  • Axle-back Muffler Delete
JB4 Map 6:
  • 1500 = 3.0
  • 2000 = 4.0
  • 2500 = 6.0
  • 3000 = 6.5
  • 3500 = 6.5
  • 4000 = 7.0
  • 4500 = 7.0
  • 5000 = 6.5
  • 5500 = 6.0
  • 6000 = 5.0
  • 6500 = 3.0
  • 7000 = 3.0
  • BMS Heat Exchanger
  • Drop-in air filters
(I will then redo my map 6 using the logs from map 3/5 after mods installed)
So I take it that the current consensus is to get a CBE after the HX, then follow that up with WMI. Certainly doable. My biggest concern is just getting Ethanol ready before my tune.

Follow up question: is there a significant reason to get a prefabbed exhaust over getting one made at a shop?
Don’t waste your money on jb4

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Why do you say that? I’ve been very happy with my JB4 for the last year. Sure, a full on tune gets you better performance. But the JB4 has its place.

so again, I’m just curious about your point of view and why you think it’s a waste of money?

Reactions: jcb

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Been here six months and that was your first post? It's a perfect logical steppingstone while you accumulate the necessary bolt-ons towards a tune. You can always sell it for most of what you paid for it and put that towards a tune anyway. Some people find that a JB4 fits their needs and are happy with that. Not everyone wants to go the tuning route and risk warranty claims being denied due to a flashed ECM.

·
Super Moderator
3,849 Posts
Not everyone wants to go the tuning route and risk warranty claims being denied due to a flashed ECM.
Yup, I've been rolling the dice since October 2018 when Seb flashed my Q with an Ecutek tune. And with my Powertrain warranty timing-out in 4Q2022, decisions, decisions...

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,647 Posts
Yup, I've been rolling the dice since October 2018 when Seb flashed my Q with an Ecutek tune. And with my Powertrain warranty timing-out in 4Q2022, decisions, decisions...
I'll consider a tune when my powertrain warranty expires next October. Until then, I'll stick with the JB4.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I disagree. My warranty ends next month and I just got a brand new engine. Very happy with my JB4. Even if it isn't the most polished product, I can resell it when I get my tune, and I can improve my build before I blow 1700 on a tune.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'll consider a tune when my powertrain warranty expires next October. Until then, I'll stick with the JB4.
Exactly what I'm doing. Warranty ends next month, and I have my shopping cart ready for a BMS HX, LPFP, and maybe an oil catch can. Didn't want to order early because I was worried about having potentially faulty parts sitting out their warranties. Also, don't have access to my buddy's shop bay until late September.

Once those parts are in, I will chill with the JB4 another couple months and then pull the trigger on a tune when I am ready. Mostly standing by hoping for some HPT announcements after the MPVI3 drops. Really want FlexFuel support.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is a better pic of the ProXS. Not sure why the image didn't come up on the other screenshot. Side note, 4in is not the piping size, it is the oval height.
Product Font Tool Technology Auto part

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Here is a better pic of the ProXS. Not sure why the image didn't come up on the other screenshot. Side note, 4in is not the piping size, it is the oval height.
Thanks! What is the rest of your exhaust setup? I.E. downpipes?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I only did the LDPs, not the uppers.
PLM-V37-DP-TP
PLM Infiniti Q50 Q60 Downpipes Test Pipes 2016+ (All Models)

Not sure they make these anymore, but I believe they are clones of Megan LDPs.

Everything else was customer 2.5" piping.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I only did the LDPs, not the uppers.
PLM-V37-DP-TP
PLM Infiniti Q50 Q60 Downpipes Test Pipes 2016+ (All Models)

Not sure they make these anymore, but I believe they are clones of Megan LDPs.

Everything else was customer 2.5" piping.
Makes me wonder how quiet it would be with my FDPs. Or if I stop being lazy and just install the E cutout I ordered.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Makes me wonder how quiet it would be with my FDPs. Or if I stop being lazy and just install the E cutout I ordered.
My guess would be that it would be pretty damn quiet, relatively speaking, and have a great time at WOT. Probably be a hair louder than mine, but with my set up, you have 3 points of a resonator. The ProXS, the 2 mufflers, and the tails are also resonated.

All just a guess on my part with your set up though.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts