Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a really good deal on a set of Niche M142 Lucerne wheels in 19x8.5, i think ET42. How is the quality of their cast wheels? I would really like to get the Touring T01, but they are almost $1000 each and I do not feel this car justifies that price. DOes anyone have any experience with these wheels?

Here is a pic for reference.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have niche on my q50, I got compliments daily. I love them and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm kind of confused about changing out the wheels. I understand why some people change out the tires, but other than moving to a larger size, why change out the tire.

Is it purely cosmetic, or are there also performance gains? If you go to a bigger wheel, do you have to go to the dealer to have anything reset in order for the speedometer, odometer, etc. to work correctly?

I know if you make a slight increase (say 18 to 19" wheels) that there are calculators that will determine what size tire you need to come close to the other size (I have 18" winter tires on my Nox and 19" summer tires - .03 difference). It would seem if you went from something like 17" to 21" that something would have to be reset in the car. Is that right?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I'm kind of confused about changing out the wheels. I understand why some people change out the tires, but other than moving to a larger size, why change out the tire.

Is it purely cosmetic, or are there also performance gains? If you go to a bigger wheel, do you have to go to the dealer to have anything reset in order for the speedometer, odometer, etc. to work correctly?

I know if you make a slight increase (say 18 to 19" wheels) that there are calculators that will determine what size tire you need to come close to the other size (I have 18" winter tires on my Nox and 19" summer tires - .03 difference). It would seem if you went from something like 17" to 21" that something would have to be reset in the car. Is that right?
Not really. As long as the outer diameter remains the same, you are just going for a lower profile tire, i.e. a smaller sidewall. Smaller sidewalls also contribute to ride harshness because there is less give between the wheel and the outer edge of the tire. Riding in a car with 14" wheels will be significantly different than the same car with 18" wheels.

Technically, lower profile tires are quicker to react to track conditions during cornering because there is less squirm due to the shorter sidewalls, and this fact has contributed to low profile tires being used in sports sedans for years. Wheels keep getting bigger while the tire's outer diameter rarely increases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Niche is a really great product. I have seen some on Tim Duncan's GT-R here in SA. I wanted some of those for my G37. Maybe Ill get some for the Lady Q

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.