Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bulletin released this morning!

Part number is 16576-RNV37, fitment is only for the VR3.0TT!

Many thanks to my local buddy, Jason C., for bringing his car by and allowing me to help with the install!

Un-boxing video here: https://youtu.be/q_FzMAc8HY8

After reviewing pricing on these, this is one item I'm not able to follow my normal discounts. It is $499 and free shipping to the 48 states.

Benefits?

Direct fit!

• No tune required!
  • No transmission jerking issues (like Stillen)
  • Measurable increase in power (as posted by AMS)
  • Backed by Infiniti!
  • Notable build quality
  • Uses the stock MAF housings and MAF sensors
Reach out to us at [email protected] OR visit our site here: https://www.discountinfinitiparts.com/p-infiniti-ams-red-alpha-cold-air-intake-kit-vr30tt-q50-q60-16576rnv37

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to see they managed to have infiniti sticker, though i’d still prefer the Alpha sticker. Would that be an option? I’m guessing it’s not and probably a question for [email protected]

Hey sir! It's a bit more than a sticker and more of a acrylic emblem. BUT, yes, specific AMS badging will mean purchasing the intake from AMS directly.

BTW, out of stock for at least two to three weeks at this point. All of my kits sold in less than 5 hours.

Official word is no other Infiniti dealership has these in stock at this time either.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Hey sir! It's a bit more than a sticker and more of a acrylic emblem. BUT, yes, specific AMS badging will mean purchasing the intake from AMS directly.

BTW, out of stock for at least two to three weeks at this point. All of my kits sold in less than 5 hours.

Official word is no other Infiniti dealership has these in stock at this time either.

Oh man that sticker adds 20 whp more lol

I’d have to defer it for now as looking at the gains i wouldn’t get much perf per dollar compared to alpha tune, and alpha tune is the way to go if i would want to make the most gain off of the intakes. Per graph of the delta hp, i would lose a few hp on the low-end while the gains are mostly on the top-end.

I’m getting the drive shaft and tune soon. I’d be happy to buy the driveshaft from you though, if in case it’d be adopted by infiniti.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man that sticker adds 20 whp more lol

I’d have to defer it for now as looking at the gains i wouldn’t get much perf per dollar compared to alpha tune, and alpha tune is the way to go if i would want to make the most gain off of the intakes. Per graph of the delta hp, i would lose a few hp on the low-end while the gains are mostly on the top-end.

I’m getting the drive shaft and tune soon. I’d be happy to buy the driveshaft from you though, if in case it’d be adopted by infiniti.

Understood!

My hopes is more will be adopted by Infiniti/Nismo, but, there is no guarantee of that and most items are last minute pop-ups in bulletins.

BUT, I'm comfortable enough to mention having submitted an application to be a vendor with AMS. Last I knew, there is no AMS vendor in my area. This would be a plus because they also offer Subaru performance items (which is the other brand I work with) and GT-R items (which there is a healthy GT-R community here). This would also allow those who like to have a "one-stop-shop" if purchasing other items from me.

If no one has researched AMS, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I'm actually surprised AMS isn't selling their Red-Alpha badges on the side for owners with plans to mod, they are very premium looking
so I'm sure they'd fly off the shelves.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I'm actually surprised AMS isn't selling their Red-Alpha badges on the side for owners with plans to mod, they are very premium looking

so I'm sure they'd fly off the shelves.

Ha! I think if they did it’ll easily get to the hands of the ricers. They have a brand to protect

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Ha! I think if they did it’ll easily get to the hands of the ricers. They have a brand to protect
Hah well the Q50/60 are still pretty up-market for most ricer's so I don't they they have to worry about that for another 7 or 8 years.
Besides it's not like any of these cars are slow, well 2.0T motor not withstanding. lol

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
From their website and log trends, it would appear the gains are only with the intake AND alpha tune.

The red alpha intake versus stock intake trend shows losses at low rpm, with increases at higher range. It appears to be mislabeled as the previous table stating 17whp gains.

Looks to be maybe a minor gain, if any, without any tune done. Am I seeing this wrong?

(Edit - corrected some typos)

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,390 Posts
Looks to be maybe a minor gain, if any, without any tune done. Am I seeing this wrong?
I took the plunge and purchased one of the initial Infiniti-branded AMS Intakes offered by Sid. While I share your concern for the slight loss in low rpm range, I have an EcuTek tune scheduled in September, so I should be able to get whatever gains afforded by the Intakes via the dyno-tune @ SpecialtyZ.

In addition, while the dyno results are important, it will be real-world driving conditions will be the ultimate discriminator for me. Fortunately, while I wait to get the EcuTek tune, I have the BT JB4 that will give me a preview of how the AMS Intakes respond to higher-than-stock level boost conditions.

If the AMS Intakes are better than the stock airboxes at insulating the intake air from the underhood temperature as well as good for an additional ponies, it's worth it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I took the plunge and purchased one of the initial Infiniti-branded AMS Intakes offered by Sid. While I share your concern for the slight loss in low rpm range, I have an EcuTek tune scheduled in September, so I should be able to get whatever gains afforded by the Intakes via the dyno-tune @ SpecialtyZ.

In addition, while the dyno results are important, it will be real-world driving conditions will be the ultimate discriminator for me. Fortunately, while I wait to get the EcuTek tune, I have the BT JB4 that will give me a preview of how the AMS Intakes respond to higher-than-stock level boost conditions.

If the AMS Intakes are better than the stock airboxes at insulating the intake air from the underhood temperature as well as good for an additional ponies, it's worth it.

Same. This is my daily driver (only car) and hobby. With 2 kids under three years old, I don’t care about final whp numbers anymore. I want it to sound nice (Nismo axel back) and still enjoy being thrown back in my seat (JB4)...all while keeping the car reasonable which means passing emissions and staying under warranty (another can of worms I’m not opening up).

10 years ago, very different story.

It’s all about the enjoyment you get spending your money and where you are in life. If I hear the turbo spool and my son asks me what that whistle sound is...money well spent explaining it to him for 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Same. This is my daily driver (only car) and hobby. With 2 kids under three years old, I don’t care about final whp numbers anymore. I want it to sound nice (Nismo axel back) and still enjoy being thrown back in my seat (JB4)...all while keeping the car reasonable which means passing emissions and staying under warranty (another can of worms I’m not opening up).

10 years ago, very different story.

It’s all about the enjoyment you get spending your money and where you are in life. If I hear the turbo spool and my son asks me what that whistle sound is...money well spent explaining it to him for 2 minutes.
Sure I can see that... I’m at the same stage basically, I don’t really want to risk warranty for more WHP, just looking to give more refined and sporty sound to the car.

Does this have a noticeable improvement in audible sound over the standard intakes? I have K&N right now because they improved sound a bit, wondering if this is an improvement yet.

If anyone has audio clips that would be nice.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Sure I can see that... I’m at the same stage basically, I don’t really want to risk warranty for more WHP, just looking to give more refined and sporty sound to the car.

Does this have a noticeable improvement in audible sound over the standard intakes? I have K&N right now because they improved sound a bit, wondering if this is an improvement yet.

If anyone has audio clips that would be nice.
This guy has got you covered, he does have blow off valves which is mainly what you'll hear. But then again Youtube isn't great for audioclips like that
so it can be a bit tough to hear sounds recorded from within the cabin.

https://youtu.be/SoWcrfKs2e4?t=3m43s

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
This guy has got you covered, he does have blow off valves which is mainly what you'll hear. But then again Youtube isn't great for audioclips like that

so it can be a bit tough to hear sounds recorded from within the cabin.

https://youtu.be/SoWcrfKs2e4?t=3m43s

I believe yunier’s car was also the car in z1’s promo video for hks bov. Hence, anyone who claims he has golden ears can probably make deductions which sound are coming from bov lol

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've been waiting for these to be released, I'm now asking myself do I want to pay $500 for a slightly better sound. I know aftermarket intakes really don't do much but the least I'd like to get out of them is a nice spooling sound. These almost cost as much as a blow off valve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts