Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story broke on Autoblog yesterday it seems Nissan is actively working on the Z for release sometime over the next 20 months , biggest take away
from the article are below which fall in line with the forums speculation for both the Z and redesigns of the Q50/60.

• Confirmed 9-speed automatic (Mercedes Unit) will be replacing the 7-speed Jatco transmission for RWD/AWD Applications.
  • Manual Transmission will be offered for the Z (Possibly for the Q as well).
  • Updated Exterior , Infotainment, and interior.
  • Higher Powered Nismo Variant of the VR30 motor producing upwards of 500HP.
Full story is below, but what is everyone's thoughts on this? Given the information provided it all but confirms the FM platform will be sticking around for the next generation
and we should see the car make an appearance around Q4.

Story:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It'll just be either a Yes (buy) or No for me. But I'll defer until I see one in the dealership. Personally I'd like to see a 500-hp nissan (non-GTR) vehicle that's more upscale in materials (and sportier) than the current Z generation. Price point would also be a factor. I don't care for manual though, had enough driving manual for ~20 straight years.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,058 Posts
It'll just be either a Yes (buy) or No for me. But I'll defer until I see one in the dealership. Personally I'd like to see a 500-hp nissan (non-GTR) vehicle that's more upscale in materials (and sportier) than the current Z generation. Price point would also be a factor. I don't care for manual though, had enough driving manual for ~20 straight years.
I want a DCT, dammit!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well on a positive note we should see the 9-speed automatic from Mercedes which is apparently excellent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LOL, dang you @BigHeadClan J/K. That certainly throws some uncertainty in the '20 model I just ordered. Would be nice to have a 9AT that fixed all of the sins of the 7AT, along with true overdrive ratios like .5:1 top gear. No reason for them not to include that for cruising speeds. Those tidbits seem to suggest that the Z and the the possible Q redesign will be for MY22. I could be wrong though. Does anyone know if the forthcoming QX55 is going to debut as a MY20 or MY21?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, dang you @BigHeadClan J/K. That certainly throws some uncertainty in the '20 model I just ordered. Would be nice to have a 9AT that fixed all of the sins of the 7AT, along with true overdrive ratios like .5:1 top gear. No reason for them not to include that for cruising speeds. Those tidbits seem to suggest that the Z and the the possible Q redesign will be for MY22. I could be wrong though. Does anyone know if the forthcoming QX55 is going to debut as a MY20 or MY21?
Hah I did warn you!

I think your okay the refresh isn't likely till 22MY for the Q50, QX55 should debut as MY21 with it being unveiled first half of this year most likely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I read the article...looks like the Z will be MY22. So much confusion and uncertainty given that Infiniti is saying basically everything will be electrified sans the QX80. They don't seem to be talking about series hybrids with e-Power. They keep a tight lid on leaks and notoriously use a lot of vagueness in telegraphing what their future intents are in interviews.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hah I did warn you!

I think your okay the refresh isn't likely till 22MY for the Q50, QX55 should debut as MY21 with it being unveiled first half of this year most likely.
True! You did, and it's much appreciated. Perhaps I don't purchase the '20 and lease it instead, with the option to buy out the lease if things look unfavorable (for my personal preferences) for the refresh. The design might be fugly to me, who knows. If I purchased, I would hang onto the car for 10 years probably, as I've done with my 2010 G Sedan. Looks like the current bodystyle will live on at least for another model year, if what the article is telegraphing is true.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read the article...looks like the Z will be MY22. So much confusion and uncertainty given that Infiniti is saying basically everything will be electrified sans the QX80. They don't seem to be talking about series hybrids with e-Power. They keep a tight lid on leaks and notoriously use a lot of vagueness in telegraphing what their future intents are in interviews.

True! You did, and it's much appreciated. Perhaps I don't purchase the '20 and lease it instead, with the option to buy out the lease if things look unfavorable (for my personal preferences) for the refresh. The design might be fugly to me, who knows. If I purchased, I would hang onto the car for 10 years probably, as I've done with my 2010 G Sedan. Looks like the current bodystyle will live on at least for another model year, if what the article is telegraphing is true.
Infiniti will be transitioning to electric/potent hybrid models but their performance cars don't have a dedicated platform yet which is why they are likely sticking with the FM platform.
The QX80 shares its bones with the Titan and other trucks however and is why it will be sticking around for a bit longer.

I'd definitely recommend a lease and then just trade up after your done with the lease, you have the added benefit of being 1-2 years into the redesign as well
and most of the bugs will be worked out by then as well. I agree though I don't think the exterior style will change much, I think Infiniti is taking the German approach
for this refresh... Which I'm fine with the Q50/60 are the best looking cars of their respective classes I think.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 9 speed would be a version of the 9 speed that is in the new Titian. A Jatco unit. The Benz partnership is over.

I would expect the Q's (50/60) to get the new transmission for 21 and 22 model years and final year being either 22 or 23 MY.

May be a case to keep the Q60 away from the e power if the Z sells in good numbers. But my guess is the platform would be the FM still. Don't see them investing in a new platform for low volume cars. They will just milk it until they can't any more.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 9 speed would be a version of the 9 speed that is in the new Titian. A Jatco unit. The Benz partnership is over.

I would expect the Q's (50/60) to get the new transmission for 21 and 22 model years and final year being either 22 or 23 MY.

May be a case to keep the Q60 away from the e power if the Z sells in good numbers. But my guess is the platform would be the FM still. Don't see them investing in a new platform for low volume cars. They will just milk it until they can't any more.
The 9-Speed unit in the Titan is of Mercedes design and was licensed from them but yes it will be assembled in a Jatco Factory.
https://www.alliance-2022.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/89933.pdf

Nissan will not be leaving the Alliance any time soon, there are too many joint projects (future EV platform in particular) being worked on between the companies and Nissan
is financially in no position to leave or they risk going bankrupt in short order. Nissan, Renault and Mercedes have all confirmed the rumors floating
around are unfounded.

As for the FM platform it also underpins the GT-R so in terms of performance capabilities there is still plenty of headroom
left in the design. We will not see it replaced until a new GT-R is ready to be released and that won't be for another 3-4 years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Eh, I could always wait for a '21 model if it's supposed to get the 9-Speed transmission. I think I'd be pissed if I got the '20 and then boom, new trans for the next year. From the article below, it seems snappier with downshifts.

KBB did a review on the 2020 Titan with the 9AT and had this to say about it:

"It’s a pleasurable experience, driving the new 2020 Nissan Titan. The direct-injected V8 engine is quiet and refined, with enough power on tap to make freeway onramps a relaxed affair, even while towing a 5,000-pound trailer carrying a couple of quads. The new 9-speed automatic is a smooth gearbox, and it will downshift two or sometimes three gears when the driver is aggressive with the throttle and looking to pass somebody on a 2-lane highway. Even with a new lower final-drive ratio of 3.69:1 (last year’s truck had a 2.93:1 rear end), the Titan engine stays relaxed on the highway, running at about 1500 rpm at 60 mph, 1700 rpm at 70 and only 1900 rpm at 80."

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh, I could always wait for a '21 model if it's supposed to get the 9-Speed transmission. I think I'd be pissed if I got the '20 and then boom, new trans for the next year. From the article below, it seems snappier with downshifts.

KBB did a review on the 2020 Titan with the 9AT and had this to say about it:

"It’s a pleasurable experience, driving the new 2020 Nissan Titan. The direct-injected V8 engine is quiet and refined, with enough power on tap to make freeway onramps a relaxed affair, even while towing a 5,000-pound trailer carrying a couple of quads. The new 9-speed automatic is a smooth gearbox, and it will downshift two or sometimes three gears when the driver is aggressive with the throttle and looking to pass somebody on a 2-lane highway. Even with a new lower final-drive ratio of 3.69:1 (last year’s truck had a 2.93:1 rear end), the Titan engine stays relaxed on the highway, running at about 1500 rpm at 60 mph, 1700 rpm at 70 and only 1900 rpm at 80."

The transmission is also used in Mercedes C-class sedans if anyone is looking for more info.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
Might be better to just buy a new Titan as it will probably hold its resale value better than a Q50.

·
Registered
83 Posts

second rendition looks like a mazda rx8 sort of. things it should come with:
-twin turbo v6 vr30, 450hp+
-6speed manual OR DCT
-RWD with an AWD option
-akebonos
-LSD

i believe they will slack on certain items/materials to keep cost relatively down

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

second rendition looks like a mazda rx8 sort of. things it should come with:
-twin turbo v6 vr30, 450hp+
-6speed manual OR DCT
-RWD with an AWD option
-akebonos
-LSD

i believe they will slack on certain items/materials to keep cost relatively down
Not sure where your getting the information from but a DCT will not be on offer with the Z, it will be a 9-speed transmission.
The only Dual clutch Nissan currently produces is from the GT-R and is far too large to fit in the current generation of car.

It barely fit in the Q50 which is significantly larger than the Z.

As for AWD it is possible but it would fly in the face of the Z being a traditional sports car, those looking for AWD
can always grab a Q60.

Lastly for interior quality the interview I posted above notes it will have an interior quality similar to the current gen Altima,
which lines up with the previous generation of car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure where your getting the information from but a DCT will not be on offer with the Z, it will be a 9-speed transmission.
The only Dual clutch Nissan currently produces is from the GT-R and is far too large to fit in the current generation of car.

It barely fit in the Q50 which is significantly larger than the Z.

As for AWD it is possible but it would fly in the face of the Z being a traditional sports car, those looking for AWD
can always grab a Q60.

Lastly for interior quality the interview I posted above notes it will have an interior quality similar to the current gen Altima,
which lines up with the previous generation of car.
i was wishful thinking for the DCT. but, however, the size of the DCT trans i'm confused. the smaller GLI, Golf R, S3, even hyundai has DCT trannies and these cars are smaller than the Q50. maybe i'm missing something. now i know the actually size of the GTR DCT is big and different.

the AWD option i personally wouldn't care/want.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was wishful thinking for the DCT. but, however, the size of the DCT trans i'm confused. the smaller GLI, Golf R, S3, even hyundai has DCT trannies and these cars are smaller than the Q50. maybe i'm missing something. now i know the actually size of the GTR DCT is big and different.

the AWD option i personally wouldn't care/want.
Ahh gotcha that makes more sense.

As for the size difference between VW DCT and Nissan's there are a few reasons, the biggest reasons being Engine & Drive-train layout, power of the respective cars, age of the design and cost.

The GT-R's transmission was designed in the early 2000's, the AWD system is RWD biased and more complicated than the Haldex system used in somethign like a Golf R. It has a drive shaft sending power to the rear through a transfer-case with then has a return-shaft hanging off it to send power back to the front of the car when needed.

It also makes 2-3x more power which requires a more capable transmission which can lead to a larger size, but at the end of the day Nissan's DCT was designed for a low volume
Super car (The GT-R) and not to accommodate it's entire lineup like it was with VW.... So the packaging requirements for the design phase are vastly different.

Just to give you a sense of scale here is the GT-R's transmission vs the Q50/Q60 transmission.

Nissan GT-R Dual Clutch Transmission : Nissan Jatco 7-Speed Automatic. (Z & Q50/60)

As for getting AWD option on the new Z? I personally wouldn't mind so long as it was just an option.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
@BigHeadClan we can't discount that if Renault and Nissan are serious with equal platform sharing, then Renault has a pretty good DCT in the Megane RS and Alpine A110. Nissan is already using a version of that same DCT in the overseas Nissan Qashqai (Rogue here in the states). So there is potential for a re-purposed DCT to make it into the upcoming Z.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts