1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Hmm got an other notable quotes from the Autonews site? It requires a paid subscription to read the article.
But the 2nd article you included sounds very promising and is the direction the company needs to go.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm got an other notable quotes from the Autonews site? It requires a paid subscription to read the article.
But the 2nd article you included sounds very promising and is the direction the company needs to go.
From AN:
"We will be putting maximum energy into the U.S." one person involved with the planning said. "The problem is that we expanded too far everywhere else. If you look at it like that, it's very easy to rescale.
"It's about products," the person added. "Better products, new products and on-time products." end quote.

The language is similar throughout most of the articles published today on the subject.

Here is another from Carscoops and from The Truth About Cars

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
From AN:
"We will be putting maximum energy into the U.S." one person involved with the planning said. "The problem is that we expanded too far everywhere else. If you look at it like that, it's very easy to rescale.
"It's about products," the person added. "Better products, new products and on-time products." end quote.

The language is similar throughout most of the articles published today on the subject.

Here is another from Carscoops and from The Truth About Cars
Thank ya kindly sir, always good to read a view articles on the subject to see if there is more/less too the story that what one article says. :)

Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC from a year or so ago, Nissan will shutter the Datsun brand. This should be formerly announced later this month when Nissan pronounces its mid-term plan.

As was stated earlier, Nissan will be placing the utmost interests in the Japanese, Chinese, and the U.S. markets....with an ulterior goal of revitalizing the INFINITI brand in the U.S.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
IIRC from a year or so ago, Nissan will shutter the Datsun brand. This should be formerly announced later this month when Nissan pronounces its mid-term plan.

As was stated earlier, Nissan will be placing the utmost interests in the Japanese, Chinese, and the U.S. markets....with an ulterior goal of revitalizing the INFINITI brand in the U.S.
Nice~

Hopefully that manifests in a new transmission for the Q50/60. :)

Reactions: brazza

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Dual-clutch would be nice.
Aye really unlikely though, the new 9-speed from Mercedes they used in the Titan is most likely.
Which is fine it's nearly as good as the ZF-8sp transmissions which are honestly fantastic automatics.

If the 370z gets redesigned we may also see a manual return to the Q50/60, although that is pretty unlikely
even if the Engineers at Nissan have gone on record saying they begged upper management for one. lol

Reactions: brazza and Q602B

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nissan announces new leadership for INFINITI, who will be charged with executing the brand's revitalization plan: Peyman Kargar.

Don't know much about him other than he appears to be a company man with an engineering and business background. He's fairly young at 53, and IMO, at a good age to make a positive impression that he could use to finagle a more prominent role, either with Nissan or elsewhere in the auto industry.....Godspeed Mr. Kargar!!!

From INFINITI May 14, 2020

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nissan Motor Co., Ltd announced the appointment of Peyman Kargar to senior vice-president and chairman of INFINITI Motor Company effective June 1, 2020. Reporting to Christian Vandenhende, vice-chief performance officer and chief quality officer, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Kargar will step into the role of chairman as INFINITI begins a product renaissance from its new headquarters in Yokohama, Japan.

"Peyman is a proven, global leader joining the INFINITI team in a very exciting time for the brand. I look forward to seeing how he will usher in the next chapter for INFINITI," said Vandenhende.

Kargar has more than 23 years of experience in the auto industry, primarily with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. He has held various positions spanning many facets of automotive industry. His roles have included engineering, manufacturing, project management, quality, sales, marketing and business development giving him a holistic perspective on the business. Most recently, Kargar was chairman and senior vice-president of Africa, Middle East and India Region for Nissan, where he worked with more than 80 countries and unique markets.

Kargar replaces Mike Colleran who is appointed as senior vice president, Nissan marketing and sales, U.S. Colleran served the INFINITI organization for more than two years working on laying the groundwork for a brand reinvention and the organization's move to Yokohama, Japan in early April.

Kargar, 53 years old, holds an MBA from London Business School and an engineering degree from, Institut National des Sciences Appliquees de Lyon in France.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aye really unlikely though, the new 9-speed from Mercedes they used in the Titan is most likely.
Which is fine it's nearly as good as the ZF-8sp transmissions which are honestly fantastic automatics.

If the 370z gets redesigned we may also see a manual return to the Q50/60, although that is pretty unlikely
even if the Engineers at Nissan have gone on record saying they begged upper management for one. lol
I should hope they are wise enough to at least use the new 9-spd tranny. Given the close relationship between the Z and Q-cars, recent reports are stating that the upcoming Z will use a 7-spd tranny...(no further info on this tranny).

Which for Pete's sake, it better not be the same dang on (J10/J11) tranny in use now......if the posted report is accurate. I am hoping it's not. I have to go with @IridiumRS400 on this....we need a DCT. And with Renault and Nissan apparently approaching shared manufacturing, Nissan can hopefully pull the 7-sp DCT from the Alpine a110. Let the 9-sp run on the non-sport lineup and put the DCT into the sport lineup.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can add reliable turbos/seal and serpentine engines and you have a winner!
Are the post MY16/17 models still having these issues?

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Are the post MY16/17 models still having these issues?
For sure the 2018 shreds belts. I can't say for the turbo yet...fingers crossed.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
210 Posts

Agreed, the current transmission in my 2020 RS AWD is not that bad ( although the Jetco built
transmissions tend to be real crappy overall) from what I understand they have been re-programed in
the 2020 MY and have a improved torque converter . Better TCU programing is still needed for faster
shifting and rev/speed points though.

Perhaps going to a ZF or Aisen transmission will most certainly help with reliability and longevity or
even the MB designed 9 speed versions as some others have mentioned would also be a great
improvement.

While it is true that the various DCT trannies out on the market (mostly on German brands) definitely
shift much faster and smoother compared to the Infiniti/Jetco trannies, the DCT trannies are more
sensitive to higher torque loads which could be a issue for those who want to tune their cars past the
500 to 600 ft/lbs of wheel torque threshold...

The turbo's and turbo seals need to be addressed for sure...as does the serpentine belts/AC compressor alignment...and finally the fuel injectors while they are at it.

We can only hope Infiniti does the right thing for there loyal customer base...nothing leaves a more
bitter taste in a customers mouth than poor reliability and/or poor warranty service...

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
New turbos are for the 2019 model so I'm suspecting as well as a new belt design so I'm suspecting all of those issues are going to
be included on the Z out of the gate.

The q50/60 community pretty much ended up as early adopters , which sucks because if they just refreshed the Z at the
same time they could have tossed a bit more money at both platforms and we wouldn't likely run into this issue. lol

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
New turbos are for the 2019 model so I'm suspecting as well as a new belt design so I'm suspecting all of those issues are going to
be included on the Z out of the gate.

The q50/60 community pretty much ended up as early adopters , which sucks because if they just refreshed the Z at the
same time they could have tossed a bit more money at both platforms and we wouldn't likely run into this issue. lol
I hope when they go to a 3.0TT Z they don't drop the 6 speed.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I hope when they go to a 3.0TT Z they don't drop the 6 speed.
Well work through the grape-vine suggests the manual will be sticking around for the new Z, the club-car late last year seem to support
that idea as well and even the Q50/60 nearly got the manual as an option based on interviews with some of the engineers.

So we may actually see the manual return to the Q50\60 platform, which I think would go along way to pleasing the
fans. There is a lot of demand for a manual as none of the cars in this segment actually offer one for their top trim cars.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Well work through the grape-vine suggests the manual will be sticking around for the new Z, the club-car late last year seem to support
that idea as well and even the Q50/60 nearly got the manual as an option based on interviews with some of the engineers.

So we may actually see the manual return to the Q50\60 platform, which I think would go along way to pleasing the
fans. There is a lot of demand for a manual as none of the cars in this segment actually offer one for their top trim cars.
If I see a manual AWD Red Sport (assuming they have fixed the turbo and belt issue) I will trade my Q50 in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
If I see a manual AWD Red Sport (assuming they have fixed the turbo and belt issue) I will trade my Q50 in a heartbeat.
I would consider that also.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Aye you wouldn't be the only one, most of the people I talk to who are shopping for a manual in this segment are all-or-nothing buyers. They flat out walk away from a car and strait to the brand that does.

I was talking to the SM at the Infiniti dealership a few months back and he said that a Manual transmission was actually the number one ask from owners and prospective buyers. Hah

The other top asks were apparently #2 - Updated infotainment &
#3 - Better stock tires.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts