Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Just read this story before hopping on here...seen the hi-po fossil fuel burning quote and my mind immediately went to......ah, I won't say it!
We gettin’ black edition-Eau Rouge’d again, right?

It’s Dé Eau Rouge all over again!

Reactions: Q602B and jodedor

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Just read this story before hopping on here...seen the hi-po fossil fuel burning quote and my mind immediately went to......ah, I won't say it!
Dé Eau Rouge, all over again!

My Q40 was definitely more engaged. If only I could have kept that same feel but slip on the the sexy Q50 sheet metal and updated interior.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
We gettin’ black edition-Eau Rouge’d again, right?

It’s Dé Eau Rouge all over again!

It was always a coin-flip if we would get the Black edition, if the economy remained strong we might have well seen it enter production. Alas
nothing but a test bed for the R36 most likely.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Engaged versus numb.

It is that simple.

If you are a car enthusiast, you will regret selling it.

Sort of like that girl you wish you didnt let go.....
My Q40 was definitely more engaged. If only I could have kept that same feel and sound but have slipped on the sexy Q50 sheet metal and updated interior.

Sort of like having a passionate, sweet hearted girl, while coveting the coquette, sleek, shiny seductress, that just doesn’t have that same fire inside.

It can feel a bit empty-but you enjoy having her glittering on your arm when you’re out on the town, but when you get home, she leaves you cold inside, pining away for your lost, soulful, kindred spirit.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It was always a coin-flip if we would get the Black edition, if the economy remained strong we might have well seen it enter production. Alas
nothing but a test bed for the R36 most likely.
I hear ya. It debuted in 2018 though. The economy was looking okay then and many, including me, were skeptical even when it was first announced.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I hear ya. It debuted in 2018 though. The economy was looking okay then and many, including me, were skeptical even when it was first announced.
Aye, although who knows maybe we will see a VR30 paired with a hybrid motor which would make for a pretty dang potent combo only time will tell though.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Aye, although who knows maybe we will see a VR30 paired with a hybrid motor which would make for a pretty dang potent combo only time will tell though.
Yeah, seems like a shoo-in. Infiniti has over promised and under delivered a lot lately.

I’m not holding my breath for the next gen Q50 with or without electrification. I am curious but not all that interested, since I plan on holding on to my 50 until the generation after next at least.

Infiniti after the G reminds me of Acura after the Legend.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
Legend...how do you abandon such an awesome name?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Infiniti really should have kept the G instead of renaming it with Q.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Infiniti really should have kept the G instead of renaming it with Q.
Having had a G37IPL I disagree. The Q50/60's are not anything like a Z and the G37IPL was almost a Z. The Q50/60's are nothing like a Z now.

The Q is heaver, bigger, and handles completely different than the G's did. They also dumped the LSD and manual transmission.

I think changing to the Q50/60 was OK as it's a very different car. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
164 Posts
Having had a G37IPL I disagree. The Q50/60's are not anything like a Z and the G37IPL was almost a Z. The Q50/60's are nothing like a Z now.

The Q is heaver, bigger, and handles completely different than the G's did. They also dumped the LSD and manual transmission.

I think changing to the Q50/60 was OK as it's a very different car. Just my opinion.
A Corvette from 10 years ago is very different than the current model and is still called Corvette. BMW 3 series, Audi A4, etc similar thing.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm with Guy on this one, changing the name to the Q50/60 was a miss-step and ruined what name recognition the brand had.
The 300zx is a prime example of mission statements changing, it was more Luxury GT than sport car and honestly the Q50/60
really fill that role as a modern day equivalent of the 300zx. IMO

I do think they took the Q50 too far from it's roots though.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I can see both points of view. The Q50/60 represent what (is possible) INFINITI imagined would be a maturation of what the G represented....as to say, the two models have grown up from its hooligan beginnings just as much as its customers/fans would have since the G(35/37) inceptions and thus, would have been expected. So if this is the case, then I can agree with the name change (along with the overall company line of thinking about the line-ups' name changing). Though, the execution has fallen quite short of intentions and has been a bit of a gross miscalculation.

But what bothers me the most is, these dimwits didn't protect the G's name and thus, abdicated the branding to another marque. This was in a long line of shortsightedness that has marred INFINITI (Nissan) for quite sometime now. Truly a lack of....

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Wasn't expecting that pun. lol

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
So a "G38" then. I concede.

I'd love this. To bad it wont make mass production. Infiniti has some good ideas. I like this better than the Black S.

This would make a good new "Z". With a 3.0t with redone turbos, good exhaust, and brakes..call it the "500 Z", (I like "Z5" better). Tuned to 500 crank HP.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Ah, the Emerg-e....back when INFINITI's concepts were breeding hope!

Honestly, this, the Essences, Q80 Concept and all of the most recent concepts, all seem to have been test beds for what Nissan is preparing to launch and their fulfillment of the electrified push

The Emerg-e's engine specs: 2 x 201-HP electric motors, with 1.2-liter/47-HP 79-lb ft SOHC 12-valve I-3 range extender (Infiniti Emerg-E Concept First Look - 2012 Geneva Auto Show - Motor Trend) seem real familiar with recent talks from Nissan. Half of these specs will make its official debut later on today in the Nissan Ariya:

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Can you see design cues from the Emerg-e in the current Q60?
It's similar to the i8 BMW.
However it would be easy to shed 300-500 lbs off of a Q50/60 by using CF, AL, TI, and other materials.

I don't buy this: "We're trying to find a way to use GT-R technology in Infinitis. But you change one thing, just one small thing, on the GT-R and [you find] it doesn't work at all."

It would be easy to put GT-R into the Q's and it would work.

Maybe reintroducing the IPL in the Q60 would be the answer. Basically what I have done, and am going to do to my Q50 (in a Q60), but add a large weight loss program to it. Cut 300 lbs and add 150-200 HP.

I could easily make a list. I guess my years of being a new products project manager in engineering are showing.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It's similar to the i8 BMW.
However it would be easy to shed 300-500 lbs off of a Q50/60 by using CF, AL, TI, and other materials.

I don't buy this: "We're trying to find a way to use GT-R technology in Infinitis. But you change one thing, just one small thing, on the GT-R and [you find] it doesn't work at all."

It would be easy to put GT-R into the Q's and it would work.

Maybe reintroducing the IPL in the Q60 would be the answer. Basically what I have done, and am going to do to my Q50 (in a Q60), but add a large weight loss program to it. Cut 300 lbs and add 150-200 HP.

I could easily make a list. I guess my years of being a new products project manager in engineering are showing.
Aye it's similar to the i8 or first gen roadster, but personally if it did look something like the Emerge-E concept and the price was around 80K I'd be all for it
and now that the Ariya has debuted Nissan has an all-new EV platform to build off of. I'd love to see a dedicated performance car make its debut
on the platform.

As for the GT-R yeah you're right its an odd balancing act with the car, it was intentionally made to be heavy, Randy Pbost did a hill-climb event
with a stripped down GT-R and they found out it handled worse with 200lbs taken out of the car. They had to go back to the drawing board
multiple times to get it to behave properly. With that said I think their premise is they took what they learned from the GT-R handling capabilities and AWD system and applied it to the E-Force system, Which isn't all that different from the current Q50/60 AWD system, all of them are dirritives based on previous gen AWD systems for the Skyline/GT-R platforms.

Lastly for the IPL version of the Q50/60 I'm honestly surprised Nissan still hasn't offered one, I originally thought they were letting AMS
do the R&D work for them with the Alpha platform but nothing ever materialized from the partnership.

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Registered
87 Posts
Figured I'd update you guys...I did wind up picking up that 2020 Q50 RS AWD in Graphite Shadow last month. It was the car that I'd ordered back in January. I'll update my sig at some point, but it's got everything on it except for the midnight black grill, spoiler, and the carbon bits. It's been a busy few weeks so I haven't had time to post. I leased it, so I have the option to keep it if I don't like the model refresh. Seemed like the best of both worlds. It's definitely a different car than the G and it's growing on me. Prodigious amounts of torque help out quite a bit for it growing on me. It definitely will be getting a set of Hotchkis sways as probably the first mod though. DAS is surprisingly good and I generally drive in Sport+. Lane keep assist can make the car feel strange, but when it's turned off, it's fine. I disabled active trace control as well.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts