Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Now I’m seriously considering Z1’s LSD and CZP’s Driveshaft for more consistency and better traction at the drag strip...
Regarding rear LSDs, I was thinking Z1 LSD until @JohnInNH gave me some feedback on how the helical LSD behaves in our Qs on the road. Based on his feedback, I'm likely going with the AMS Wavetech LSD instead of the Z1 LSD.

I sent an email to AMS, and here was their response:

Just need to remove and crate my stock rear differential to ship-out to AMS - likely tackle that objective within the next few weeks. I also have the Inland Empire D/S ordered, and just received an email from CZP that it has been shipped out from the supplier yesterday.

Mods are fun!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Whaaaatttt? So AMS can assemble their Wavetrac LSD in your stock diff housing as long as you ship it to them? Noice.

Indeed. Mods are fun, especially in the middle of this bullsh!t pandemic - gotta somehow keep myself occupied with a hobby.

Reactions: brazza

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,487 Posts
You guys are having too much fun! Keep it up! 👍

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Took an 90 minute drive and did not notice ANY additional vibration with the Inland Empire driveshaft. Just incase anyone was interested.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Took an 90 minute drive and did not notice ANY additional vibration with the Inland Empire driveshaft. Just incase anyone was interested.
Ok, no vibration but what else did you notice?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Ok, no vibration but what else did you notice?
To many changes to really notice just the driveshaft delta. The car felt quicker, but could be my not driving it for 2 days. And lately I have been driving it normaly.

Today I thrashed it. 85-87 deg out. But felt very "quick".

Springs vs coilovers was a big change. Flatter in the corners and more planted. I forgot how quick my car is in 5th. A glance and noticed I was going 85. Oops.

Spent $300 on fireworks. $600 normal price. 50% off. Set for 2 or 3 years now. All morters. They gave me 2 packs of Roman Candles, the exploding ball ones.
Fantasy Fireworks in Hinsdale NH then Phantom fireworks but they aren't as nice there. Got most of the big stuff at Fantasy Fireworks.

Oh. Forgot.. @Avedis53 my paddle extenders fit perfectly and add a lot of length. They just pop/click on. Zoom in on the left one to see the CF look. Best on the market IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Looking forward to receiving mine Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Regarding rear LSDs, I was thinking Z1 LSD until @JohnInNH gave me some feedback on how the helical LSD behaves in our Qs on the road. Based on his feedback, I'm likely going with the AMS Wavetech LSD instead of the Z1 LSD.

I sent an email to AMS, and here was their response:

View attachment 94165
Just need to remove and crate my stock rear differential to ship-out to AMS - likely tackle that objective within the next few weeks. I also have the Inland Empire D/S ordered, and just received an email from CZP that it has been shipped out from the supplier yesterday.

Mods are fun!
Naturally AMS came out with their, IMHO better one, a few weeks after I installed my Z1 rear LSD. Happened again today. Lifted the rear wheel off the ground and it just spins, then brake torque vectoring kicks in. The Wavetech won't do that. Power will go to the wheel on the ground. Zero X 0=0.

My front LSD will be a Wavetech. The rear makes the most sense since our cars are rear bias. I'm not swapping my rear LSD out again! My CC got beat up pretty bad this week.

The driveshaft install is more labor intensive than I thought it would be. Who ever said an hour is full of shi$.

Heat shields mid pipe etc. Fairly invasive. My truck is 30 minutes or less. One U-joint and it slides out.

The Inland Empire driveshaft is very simple in comparison to the OEM mess of stuff. The foam damping must work as I felt no vibration at all. My car is hard to tell the RPM or speed in. I guess that's why we have gauges.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Decided to do another 60-130 mph run. This time in lower DA and ended up at 6.84 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Represent!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Reactions: EngineeredQ50

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,487 Posts
I looove the look and feel of my metal (magnesium, is it?) and rubber paddles, the last thing I'd want to do is cover them with a CF overlay. I have (luckily?) never been bitten by the CF bug and just never saw the appeal (other than weight reduction). No offense at all. Just 100% me.

So why the 2D flat CF and not something more like this, just curious?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Received mine yesterday. Spendy but good looking. They snap right on and don't wiggle. Depending on how you grip your wheel at 3 and 9, you may find these a bit close.

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Received mine yesterday. Spendy but good looking. They snap right on and don't wiggle. Depending on how you grip your wheel at 3 and 9, you may find these a bit close.
Also, being long if you just use one finger at the very top, it will twist the OEM paddle and may not shift. So I use my 2 or 3 fingers ..no issue then.

Still better than the short OEM ones. These can pop on and off easily if you want to change..but why? No adhesive. Takes a little getting used to.

My car goes in Monday for major surgery. 😉👍🏻

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
If anyone’s interested... I received some photos from SZ of when they installed the PS2 Turbos, Z1 UDPs, and Z1 MMs. See below.

Stock:

Not Stock:

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
WOW!!! 😳 Major surgery!

🤞my install goes well.

You can see why this is the time to install a front LSD, since you have to drop the motor to install one. Huge savings on labor this way.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
Sure makes my 1965 V8 289 look simple! Same with my Triumph GT6.

Lift the bonnet (the entire front body lifts up) and sit on the front tire as you fiddle with the carbs or change spark plugs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You can see why this is the time to install a front LSD, since you have to drop the motor to install one. Huge savings on labor this way.
Definitely! My Quafe front LSD just arrived (there does not appear to be any damage, but the packaging is embarrassing.) Now to put it on the pile of parts awaiting installation ...

Edit: the part number stamped on the differential is QDF16L; a GT-R R35 front differential. Whitehead Performance listed the Quaife Q60 front differential as part number QDFWPL (which is not documented on Quaife's website) ...

Edit 2: I do not remember seeing this note when I ordered:
Due to the internal design of the Quaife ATB differential, all driving wheels must be elevated when servicing brakes, wheels etc.

Reactions: EngineeredQ50
221 - 240 of 245 Posts