Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

581 - 600 of 603 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,794 Posts
Yeah, haven't driven (even started) the car since I hooked up the JB4, the FW add-on, and the EWG add-on 2 weeks ago. Maybe this weekend. ;)

Regardless, get a garage man! At least 3-car, if not 4. :)
I'll get around to buying a house when you finish installing and running your JB4.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,350 Posts
I'll get around to buying a house when you finish installing and running your JB4.
Hmm.. then I really hope you are happy where you are.

;)

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,794 Posts
I'm no more in a hurry to move than you are getting that JB4 operational.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #584 (Edited)
Yesterday, I loaded my car onto the trailer of a car shipping service to get my car shipped across the country to my builder. Since my builder is outside of CA, I’m not getting charged Sales Tax. To me, the shipping service has been basically paid for with the Sales Tax that I’m not getting charged. My builder should have my car for 8 to 10 weeks (maybe sooner), which should still be in Boost Season - I wanna see how low my CATs will be in 35° to 45° F ambient temps with my Killer Chiller.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #585 (Edited)
AAM has completed the build for my AAM 3” Resonated CBE. It took them 7.5 weeks (they originally quoted me 3 to 4 weeks, but they stated that since they were moving facilities, they didn’t have all of the appropriate tools to complete my order, so they had to order some tools to do so).

AAM sent me a photo of my CBE:

They’re going to ship my CBE directly to my builder, so my builder could install it for me.

When I get my car back, I’ll make sure to post up some more photos of the AAM 3” Resonated CBE installed onto my car.

·
Super Moderator
4,350 Posts
Exciting!

Question to self: Why does everyone else's Iridium look more vibrant than mine?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Who’s you’re builder?
I shipped my car from CA to WA. It wasn’t cheap... what are you paying for two way?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Question to self: Why does everyone else's Iridium look more vibrant than mine?
Confession to self: Sometimes I enhance (iPhone’s Saturation Photo Edit) my photos to make the Iridium Blue in my car pop.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
Who’s you’re builder?
I shipped my car from CA to WA. It wasn’t cheap... what are you paying for two way?
I’ll reveal my builder when I get my car back.

And yes, it ain’t cheap! So far, I’ve only paid for one way shipping. It was about $1 per mile. When my car is done, I might take a week off from work to fly out to where my car is at to drive it home and go sightseeing along the way. That’ll be a good way to break in the motor and to see if any issues with the motor rebuild happens during the drive back home. In the unlikely event that my car breaks down, I’d tow my car back to my builder if it’s within an acceptable range.

Reactions: stunt_101

·
Registered
233 Posts
AAM has completed the build for my AAM 3” Resonated CBE. It took them 7.5 weeks (they originally quoted me 3 to 4 weeks, but they stated that since they were moving facilities, they didn’t have all of the appropriate tools to complete my order, so they had to order some tools to do so).

AAM sent me a photo of my CBE:
View attachment 96442

They’re going to ship my CBE directly to my builder, so my builder could install it for me.

When I get my car back, I’ll make sure to post up some more photos of the AAM 3” Resonated CBE installed onto my car.
That's purty! Interesting that they welded so many short piping pieces together. Looks like an H-Pipe too. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
@twin_snails - Yup. That’s an H-Pipe with flex piping. I’m not too keen on the flex piping, but I’ll give it a shot since AAM they stated:

“We use flex sections because, if you do not have them, it puts a lot of stress on the exhaust and can lead to cracks in the exhaust joints down the road.”

If they end up being a problem in the future, I can always get them cut and removed, and then weld some straight piping in its place (if space permits).

If I remember to in the future, I’ll post up a youtube vid of how the AMM 3” Resonated FDPs+CBE sounds.

·
Super Moderator
4,350 Posts
Wait, those are flex sections? With bubble wrap around them, I assumed they were resonators, lol.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
88 Posts
Wait, those are flex sections? With bubble wrap around them, I assumed they were resonators, lol.
The flex sections are in the H-pipe and the bubble wrapped sections are the resonators.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
88 Posts
@twin_snails - Yup. That’s an H-Pipe with flex piping. I’m not too keen on the flex piping, but I’ll give it a shot since AAM they stated:

“We use flex sections because, if you do not have them, it puts a lot of stress on the exhaust and can lead to cracks in the exhaust joints down the road.”

If they end up being a problem in the future, I can always get them cut and removed, and then weld some straight piping in its place (if space permits).

If I remember to in the future, I’ll post up a youtube vid of how the AMM 3” Resonated FDPs+CBE sounds.
I wish I went with the same setup as you. That would be the ideal set up to minimize drone and turbo straight pipe burbles when going FDP and 3". Well, depending on how effective the resonators are. Ideally, you would want a pair of resonators closest to the turbo and another pair further downstream near the mid pipe / mufflers. That's what your setup has that I bet will sound great with minimum drone.

I have catless AFE FDP and MBRP 3" exhaust that both crimp to 2.5" at the connection. It's not a true 3" and having no resonators made it unbearable, straight pipe turbo with maximum drone. The MBRP mufflers only quiet the sounds at low speeds. I have added resonators that helped 75% but it is still loud at low speeds with medium throttle and the straight pipe turbo burbles / drones are still there.

I have gotten 3" flanges to replace the 2.5" flanges and another pair of resonators to add on the Y-pipe. I just need to make a trip to the exhaust shop again...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #595

·
Super Moderator
4,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,794 Posts
I don't care for those flex couplers as they seem to be prone to corrosion failure.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't care for those flex couplers as they seem to be prone to corrosion failure.
Me either. But... There had to be a reason why Infiniti uses them. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,350 Posts
My Maxima has had braided flex sections in its aftermarket Y pipe for over 10 years, no problems. However, I live in So Cal with no snow and salt, and I never drive her in the rain.

Reactions: jodedor
581 - 600 of 603 Posts