Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you'll notice from this Infiniti Q50 direct response hybrid video and this Infiniti Q50 specs thread, unlike the Infiniti G37 the Q50 replaces, the Q50 won't come with a six-speed manual transmission. Instead it'll get a 7-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with downshift rev matching, manual shift mode and adaptive shift control, available with steering column-mounted magnesium paddle shifters.

The new Infiniti seven-speed transmission with all of it's features sounds cool and according to the video linked above, it delivers a manual transmission-like feel. But I don't know how well that will fly with Infiniti customers no longer having the traditional 3rd pedal and manual shifter.

Are you going to miss the 3rd pedal and manual transmission?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I always liked BMW's SMG setup, if it's like that then maybe people who were used to manual transmission cars will like this.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I dont see why they would have not have a manual edition. Especially for the coupe they should really have it.

As for the SMG transmission set up, now that would be interesting to see. Have never seen it in any other vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
After driving in BMW's 8-Speed Sport Automatic transmission, I'm now convinced that with the proper processors, these types of high speed automatic transmissions are becoming so much more responsive and efficient than any manual you'll find.

The enthusiasts will go out of their way to focus on the fun factor of driving manual, and that's fine, but if that's all you have to go on, you might be on the losing side of that debate when it comes to general, overall, transmission effectiveness. I think manuals have (or will have) no place anymore in the luxury performance segment and might be better suited to stay in the smallish/pony/sports/higher end performance segment anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For fun = regular good old manual

For speed = dual clutch manual/autos

Both have their own place and having options is a good thing.
I think dual clutch manual is the way to go, they have been proven more times than I can count on how well they perform in Formula one racing. If it's good enough for Formula one cars, it's good enough for us!

Q50 AWD with DCT will be the ultimate combo.
or better yet an IPL Q50 AWD with DCT = Epicness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel that with the manual you would feel more connected to the car and your able to make transitions between the gears on your command. But with the new dct giving you the benefits of better fuel economy. I think it would be boring if your really use to manual and have an itch for the third pedal.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I feel that with the manual you would feel more connected to the car and your able to make transitions between the gears on your command. But with the new dct giving you the benefits of better fuel economy. I think it would be boring if your really use to manual and have an itch for the third pedal.

That depends. I think if you take a person who loves to drive manual on a road course track with a DCT vehicle like a DCT Infiniti Q50 and tell them try to get the best track time they can.... they'll notice how quickly the vehicle shifts, far faster than anyone shifting can. I noticed that alone can make someone switch over to DCT.

Driving manual every day especially in stop and go traffic can get annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Driving manual is fun but it isn't as effective as a computer controlled dual clutch transmission.

We make mistakes. We don't have computer like reflexes. That is the truth.

It is a matter of convenience and effectiveness vs fun

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Driving manual is fun but it isn't as effective as a computer controlled dual clutch transmission.

We make mistakes. We don't have computer like reflexes. That is the truth.

It is a matter of convenience and effectiveness vs fun
Oh, there's much fun to still be had w/o manual

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Personally I like the manumatic type setup (which honestly is a highest-gear limiter). Then again I live in a huge metropolis with daily traffic jams and the inconvenience of a manual would outweigh any fun factor. Someday, for a second car, I'll get a manual, but for daily, auto is king. I kinda wish it wasn't though. I'm pretty certain most of the distracted driving would go away if people had to mechanically operate their cars instead of letting the vehicle do everything for them.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, there's much fun to still be had w/o manual
So true, even triptronic transmissions were fun. Also BMW's SMG transmissions were fun to shift, it did a good job at making you feel like you were driving a manual.

Quite confident in the non-manual but "fun-focused" tranmissions, but we'll have to test drive the Q50 to see if it makes us forget what a manual is :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts