Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the InTouch forum but maybe it's more relevant here...

I recently purchased a Smart Auto Kit module to add Android Auto to the car and since my car is a 2014, I had to swap out the upper screen for a newer year. However, after doing so, my rear view camera no longer comes on.

When I go into the camera and sonar settings through InTouch, there are only sonar settings - camera doesn't show up. I don't have sonar so I'm wondering if the screen I purchased isn't compatible with my car? Swapping out the upper screen on the 2014 is fairly common for people who have purchased one of these modules but I haven't heard of this issue coming up, wondering if anyone out there has insight?

This is the screen I purchased - 2016-2017 Infiniti Q50 GPS Navigation Information Display Screen 28387-4HK0C OEM | eBay

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
530 Posts
You bought a screen for 2016-17 for a 2014 Q50? Afaik the InTouch system changed from model year 2015, so maybe this could lead to faulty behaviour...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The Rear camera relay may have burnt out or the actual connectors are loose at the back, it would be the first thing I check but yeah you may be out of luck and
be incompatible with the Kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think if the relay burnt out, that the camera setting would just be missing? I never looked at the settings previously so I'm don't even know what it normally looks like, maybe it's in the owner's manual somewhere.

Also, I should note that when I shift to reverse, it just switches to the factory nav - with a loose connector, I would still expect the screen to switch to the camera but show a black screen or something if there was an issue

You bought a screen for 2016-17 for a 2014 Q50? Afaik the InTouch system changed from model year 2015, so maybe this could lead to faulty behaviour...
Correct, like I said, this is a common thing for people with 2014 models adding the Smart Auto Kit or Joy Auto modules - but I haven't heard of any issues like this.

I do plan on double checking the connections and probably just disconnecting the pigtail cables and plugging the stock cables in to see if it's a compatibility issue. I tested to make sure the screen worked when I got it, but I didn't try putting the car in reverse to see if the camera activated as this wasn't even an issue I anticipated. I'll have to do some digging on upper screen part numbers as well and see if there's a separate part number for non-sonar equipped cars (if so, that's almost certainly my issue and would mean other 2014 owners just go lucky when swapping screens).

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Do you think if the relay burnt out, that the camera setting would just be missing? I never looked at the settings previously so I'm don't even know what it normally looks like, maybe it's in the owner's manual somewhere.

Also, I should note that when I shift to reverse, it just switches to the factory nav - with a loose connector, I would still expect the screen to switch to the camera but show a black screen or something if there was an issue

Correct, like I said, this is a common thing for people with 2014 models adding the Smart Auto Kit or Joy Auto modules - but I haven't heard of any issues like this.

I do plan on double checking the connections and probably just disconnecting the pigtail cables and plugging the stock cables in to see if it's a compatibility issue. I tested to make sure the screen worked when I got it, but I didn't try putting the car in reverse to see if the camera activated as this wasn't even an issue I anticipated. I'll have to do some digging on upper screen part numbers as well and see if there's a separate part number for non-sonar equipped cars (if so, that's almost certainly my issue and would mean other 2014 owners just go lucky when swapping screens).
If the relay is burnt out you won't get any Output signal from the Back-up Camera and likely presented with only a black screen which is the symptoms you are showing,
a loose connector would also present as similar issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the relay is burnt out you won't get any Output signal from the Back-up Camera and likely presented with only a black screen which is the symptoms you are showing,
a loose connector would also present as similar issue.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'm not getting a black screen - it never switches out of the factory Nav (if I don't have my phone plugged in; if it's plugged in, it switches from the Android Auto interface to the factory Nav).

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Think you can take a quick video just so we can see how it fails to switch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts