Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! First time posting, hoping I can get an idea of what is wrong before I end up taking it in.
I have a 2016 Q50 silver sport, roughly 23,000 miles. Recently I’ve been noticing what sounds like a whistling/whining sound coming from the passenger side turbo, perhaps. I’ve attached a video, around the 15 sec mark I hop on it and you can hear the sound coming from the passenger side engine bay. Is it the turbo or should I be looking at accessory belts? Anyone else experienced this sound? Or am I just crazy?

Few notes:
1. All a/c vents are open, so it can’t be pressure from air flow into the cabin if one were closed

2. I’ve already taken it in and had the TSB addressed for the a/c compressor adjustment & drive belt replacement

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Schedule an appointment with your dealer and get it checked out. Even if there is a small chance your car has an issue with your turbo, you want to get it replaced with the updated turbos before Infiniti becomes even more strict with their requests.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hey guys! First time posting, hoping I can get an idea of what is wrong before I end up taking it in.
I have a 2016 Q50 silver sport, roughly 23,000 miles. Recently I’ve been noticing what sounds like a whistling/whining sound coming from the passenger side turbo, perhaps. I’ve attached a video, around the 15 sec mark I hop on it and you can hear the sound coming from the passenger side engine bay. Is it the turbo or should I be looking at accessory belts? Anyone else experienced this sound? Or am I just crazy?

Few notes:
1. All a/c vents are open, so it can’t be pressure from air flow into the cabin if one were closed

2. I’ve already taken it in and had the TSB addressed for the a/c compressor adjustment & drive belt replacement

Thanks guys!
I had the same noise before, but yours is louder. Dealer replaced the turbo and never heard the noise again. Have yours checked out.

@Ddnspider fyi, this is exactly the same noise i was hearing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is my thread:

You noise sounds just like mine did.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Scheduled an appt for Saturday. I’ll post once I get more info.

Thanks!
Keep us posted sir with the details and what they say for the issues, 3-4 of the forums members have reported turbo issues the past few months.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
I'm starting to get concerned about this...

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Aye it's starting to look like a more common issue, it's good that it's happening now at least instead of outside warranty and Infiniti appears
to be good about honoring the warranty this time around.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Me too. It's feeling like a race with AMS.. will their bigger turbos be available B4 my OEM ones start to fail. I highly doubt my warentee will cover it if they fail. You play you pay.😥

I don't want to pay 2x. I'm actually looking forward to replacing them, but with bigger ones. 👍🏻

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same noise on mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you guys referring to the wheezing sound? Just trying to figure out what I should be listening for.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Nothing like low-bid suppliers. I would have thought by now turbochargers would be a mature technology and these issues would be a distant memory.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've had my car back almost a week, I still hear the same sound the the car was making before the turbos were replaced.
So it's not a turbo noise?!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If you recall I went in to have the belt looked at, they told me that the turbos need to be replaced.
I recall you having the belt looked at. I would assume if they pulled the motor to replace the turbos they would have bothered to realign the belt......hence the question that your noise is not belt OR turbo related.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts