Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
LoL - exactly what I told myself when I picked up the car after the turbo replacement. But I'm sticking with japanese brand. I might get a GS F before toyota sunsets their big NAs. It would be slower than the Q and would consume more gas per mile but I don't really care. My Q only saw the track twice for the past 3 years and my VK56VD consumes even more gas anyway.
Made the decision today to go the way of the Camaro SS. 6.2L V-8. My decision came down to this. I don't want to be in the position in 3 years of having another blown turbo, and now the car has 95k miles in it, and is worth nothing in trade.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Made the decision today to go the way of the Camaro SS. 6.2L V-8. My decision came down to this. I don't want to be in the position in 3 years of having another blown turbo, and now the car has 95k miles in it, and is worth nothing in trade.
I was looking at a few vehicles before having the turbos replaced, going back to a V8 with RWD, does not work for me anymore, having snow tires on 5 months a year. What I should have done was keeping the 3.7, and saving the 30 grand that I have spend. I could have picked up a car to play around with for the summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can’t believe I’m asking this question. I have 18k on my 2017 3.0 q50. Based on what I have read here....is it possible that an extended warranty would be wort it? Anticipating turbo failure...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was looking at a few vehicles before having the turbos replaced, going back to a V8 with RWD, does not work for me anymore, having snow tires on 5 months a year. What I should have done was keeping the 3.7, and saving the 30 grand that I have spend. I could have picked up a car to play around with for the summer.
I hear you on the RWD. I don't drive my cars when it snows, I also have a 2018 GMC Sierra for the winter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can’t believe I’m asking this question. I have 18k on my 2017 3.0 q50. Based on what I have read here....is it possible that an extended warranty would be wort it? Anticipating turbo failure...
I would get an extended warranty, and expect a turbo failure. Don't mod the car as they will use any excuse to deny a warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This. I did this and I can't really hammer the gas from 2nd gear, even with TC on, without the car turning into a sideways riot.
Who did your install and which turbos?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If a dealership did it, it's not cheap. The RT turbos are $2500 plus $1000 core. Being mechanically inclined and having a local mechanic that I work with.....I'm guessing we could do it over a couple days for $600-800. Add in an Ecutek tune for $1200 and it could be done for less than $5k.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If a dealership did it, it's not cheap. The RT turbos are $2500 plus $1000 core. Being mechanically inclined and having a local mechanic that I work with.....I'm guessing we could do it over a couple days for $600-800. Add in an Ecutek tune for $1200 and it could be done for less than $5k.
You guys know that once you make changes to the engine, your warranty is gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2017 RS RWD is at the Van Nuys Dealership getting looked at. I hear the same whistling sound you all are hearing except it is only evident for me at 4K to 5K RPM when getting on the onramps to the freeway. I would not have taken it in except for the fact when I did an oil change and changed out the air filters I found pasty black gook on the engine side of the air filters. I replaced them with K & N filters. Let's see what the techs says. The risk is $187.00 diagnosis fee if they do not find a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update! The Techs said the noise was coming from the drive belt to the AC. They Realigned the AC, replaced the belt and still heard the noise. They then replaced the idler pulley and the noise is not evident. All Warranty work thankfully. They mentioned that there is a Technical Service Bulletin from Nissan on the AC Belt alignment issue with the RS version of the 3.0t motor. The one thing I am still a little concerned about is the pasty mess I found on the Air Filters engine side. The tech said it was normal. So far my car roars down the freeway just like the Japanese Warrior she is. Fast and dangers. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update! The Techs said the noise was coming from the drive belt to the AC. They Realigned the AC, replaced the belt and still heard the noise. They then replaced the idler pulley and the noise is not evident. All Warranty work thankfully. They mentioned that there is a Technical Service Bulletin from Nissan on the AC Belt alignment issue with the RS version of the 3.0t motor. The one thing I am still a little concerned about is the pasty mess I found on the Air Filters engine side. The tech said it was normal. So far my car roars down the freeway just like the Japanese Warrior she is. Fast and dangers. ;)

61 - 80 of 101 Posts