Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Update! The Techs said the noise was coming from the drive belt to the AC. They Realigned the AC, replaced the belt and still heard the noise. They then replaced the idler pulley and the noise is not evident. All Warranty work thankfully. They mentioned that there is a Technical Service Bulletin from Nissan on the AC Belt alignment issue with the RS version of the 3.0t motor. The one thing I am still a little concerned about is the pasty mess I found on the Air Filters engine side. The tech said it was normal. So far my car roars down the freeway just like the Japanese Warrior she is. Fast and dangers. ;)
The TSB related to alignment of the accessory belt is posted on this site and is NOT exclusive to the "RS version of the 3.0t motor."

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Update! The Techs said the noise was coming from the drive belt to the AC. They Realigned the AC, replaced the belt and still heard the noise. They then replaced the idler pulley and the noise is not evident. All Warranty work thankfully. They mentioned that there is a Technical Service Bulletin from Nissan on the AC Belt alignment issue with the RS version of the 3.0t motor. The one thing I am still a little concerned about is the pasty mess I found on the Air Filters engine side. The tech said it was normal. So far my car roars down the freeway just like the Japanese Warrior she is. Fast and dangers. ;)
I'm assuming that pasty mess is oil? Under high engine loading, gases from the crankcase don't all pass through the PCV valve but also pass through the blow-by vents that discharge close to the engine side of the air filters.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Speaking of oil on air filter, i thought i read somewhere from nissan that factory air filters on RS were oiled while non-RS have dry ones. Not sure how true though, the oem replacement ones i got were dry and part number is the same for all 3.0t trims.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Speaking of oil on air filter, i thought i read somewhere from nissan that factory air filters on RS were oiled while non-RS have dry ones. Not sure how true though, the oem replacement ones i got were dry and part number is the same for all 3.0t trims.
That's news to me. Mine aren't oiled either but they are the original filters. I'm about due for new filters so I'll see if they appear to be oiled and if I see any oil accumulation on the engine side.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The OEM air filters I buy have a coating of oil (or something similar on them).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for updating your post. How many miles?
I have 28K miles on her. She was a used car purchase from Car Max. I had been dreaming of owning one for quite some time and the absolute best deal I could find showed up and I bought her. Now my wife is very jealous of my Japanese Girlfriend. ;) Yes... All said tongue in cheek.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The TSB related to alignment of the accessory belt is posted on this site and is NOT exclusive to the "RS version of the 3.0t motor."
Hi Damonb10. Sorry still a bit of a newb. I was not aware that we had TSBs on here. This great news and good to know. The tech who worked on my car had made that statement about the RS version of the motors. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm assuming that pasty mess is oil? Under high engine loading, gases from the crankcase don't all pass through the PCV valve but also pass through the blow-by vents that discharge close to the engine side of the air filters.
Hi Avedis53. Wow... good to know and makes me feel allot better as I was still a little concerned that the turbos might be leaking oil as some have reported here. I switched the the K & N filters for 2 reasons. 1. I use them in my hobby race cars as they have the best airflow possible. 2. When I pulled out the Nissan Air Filters, they were just high grade paper and nothing special. No Oil.
The K & N are up to 3X the cost but as long as you take care of them and wash and oil them, they last a really long time and help the motor breath better.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hi Avedis53. Wow... good to know and makes me feel allot better as I was still a little concerned that the turbos might be leaking oil as some have reported here. I switched the the K & N filters for 2 reasons. 1. I use them in my hobby race cars as they have the best airflow possible. 2. When I pulled out the Nissan Air Filters, they were just high grade paper and nothing special. No Oil.
The K & N are up to 3X the cost but as long as you take care of them and wash and oil them, they last a really long time and help the motor breath better.
So it's already been debated and tested that unless you plan on tuning your vehicle, OEM filters will still give the best power for the Vr30. The only benefit of reusable filters on this platform is longevity. When tuned, i think the AMS intake might be the best you can get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,
So I had a very similar noise coming from my engine,.but only at 3500 RPM-ish and when doing a pull. Took it to the dealership Wed. after reading this thread and others.

Got the call today from the service guy (My car is still there). They are replacing BOTH turbos, the water pump AND the heat exchanger all under warranty..... Hopefully this takes care of the issue lol

2016 Prem. 29,000 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This issue seems to be popping up more often these days. Do you have the 3.7? Modifications or just stock? Appreciate your post.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
This issue seems to be popping up more often these days. Do you have the 3.7? Modifications or just stock? Appreciate your post.
Is the issue you are referring to about the turbos? If so, the 3.7 isn't turbocharged.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
The test data I've seen comparing pressure drops across various dry and oiled filters at increasing volumetric air flow rates doesn't show a significant improvement by using oiled filters vs. quality dry filters (< 0.5 inches H20 pressure drop).

Particulate removal efficiencies are higher for dry filters than oiled filters also, typically 99% vs 98%. Personally, I'll stick with dry filters and change them on a regular basis. I don't want to mess with cleaning and re-oiling filters when there's essentially no improvement in using oiled filters like K&N. Again, this is only my personal opinion and you all can make up your own minds as to which to use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FYI - I had a squealing sound that came and went when turning on / off the AC. So the shop swapped out under warranty the compressor. Sounded good for a day and a half and then the squealing returned even louder. Back to the dealership and the pulley and belt were replaced. FYI - Alignment was fine - even for a 2017 - so that wasn’t the cause. We’ll see if this ‘permanently’ resolves the squeal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:
Got my car back today. They ended up finding oil in both turbos, a leak in the water pump and the belt misaligned.

They replaced the turbos, the water pump, the belt and the AC compressor. The leaky pump and the oil in the turbos worries me the most. If anyone here gets that noise TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP. DO IT.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Update:
Got my car back today. They ended up finding oil in both turbos, a leak in the water pump and the belt misaligned.

They replaced the turbos, the water pump, the belt and the AC compressor. The leaky pump and the oil in the turbos worries me the most. If anyone here gets that noise TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP. DO IT.
Dang sorry to hear that sir, on a positive note they got you swapped out nice very quickly, Another member had to wait nearly 3 weeks mostly
waiting on parts to arrive for his car.

You should be happy to know Infiniti updated the a few months back to address the oiling issue so hopefully it's a one and done deal.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Update:

If the belt were mis-aligned, then the procedure is to re-align it with the AC compressor. Why would they replace the AC compressor?

81 - 100 of 100 Posts