Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

i'm a new owner of a 2015 Infiniti Q50 Premium 2.2 diesel from Europe (Italy).

Just bought the car three weeks ago and now i'm experiencing an annoying squeal of brakes at low speed.
No vibrating and no lengthening of braking distances.
I've heard of some brakes problem from pads and master cylinder with Q50.
At a seen the pads and disks are not worn to the end

Do you think it is worth having the brakes disassembled for inspection?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would get it inspected. Brakes aren’t something to play around with! Hopefully it’s just noisy pad materials, but better to have it looked at than to ignore it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The OEM brakes are not an issue as far as squealing. Often a person will put in a "performance" pads without understanding the downsides. If you drive it hard and heat up the brakes does the squealing go away or get worse?

Of course, if the pads are worn out they may be metal on metal. I'd would at the very least get them inspected.

Reactions: mapleDom and 21QSig

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi all,

i'm a new owner of a 2015 Infiniti Q50 Premium 2.2 diesel from Europe (Italy).

Just bought the car three weeks ago and now i'm experiencing an annoying squeal of brakes at low speed.
No vibrating and no lengthening of braking distances.
I've heard of some brakes problem from pads and master cylinder with Q50.
At a seen the pads and disks are not worn to the end

Do you think it is worth having the brakes disassembled for inspection?
probably have a build up of brake pad material on the rotor. go do some hard stops from higher speeds, should clear up.

Reactions: RaceCar

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Signature Edition -- I know, shocking given my Username
132 Posts
The OEM brakes are not an issue as far as squealing. Often a person will put in a "performance" pads without understanding the downsides. If you drive it hard and heat up the brakes does the squealing go away or get worse?

Of course, if the pads are worn out they may be metal on metal. I'd would at the very least get them inspected.
Yep. If it's a 2015, it's on at least its 2nd set of brakes unless it was a garage queen that wasn't driven. The choices that were made could've included cheap pads or noisier performance pads.

You can't ignore the 3rd possibility -- the previous owner or their mechanic may have been a moron. It's worth popping the pads off and making sure everything was done correctly, nothing is rusty, etc. A dab of anti-squeal may even fix this.

My money is on new pads and proper bedding.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
Could be last guy forgot a shim or did not grease the calipers. You don't need to install OEM, but get a good quality aftermarket ceramic pad and have them handy when you take the wheels off for inspection. Any sign of wear, you might as well replace them and the shims. I always go overboard and grease the entire back surface of the pad and the ears that ride in the shims. Have not had noisy brakes in may years since I started doing that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all!
I found and contacted the former owner.
He has always performed maintenance at official Infiniti center.
The last pad change, however, was performed at a tire shop.
Currently the brake discs have 67,000 miles and the pads have 31,000 miles, although to the eye they do not look worn I think they need to be changed. Probably during the previous change it was not cleaned properly and grease was not inserted.

·
Premium Member
2021 Q50 RS400
85 Posts
You're removing brake pad material with a pressure washer? That's a new one. It usually requires very high heat (bedding procedure) or mechanical cutting (rotor machining).
Just a rinse off (on regular past cars, is my experience) takes the squeel away. Knock all tge black stuff off evedything. Works for a minute.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
Thank you all!
I found and contacted the former owner.
He has always performed maintenance at official Infiniti center.
The last pad change, however, was performed at a tire shop.
Currently the brake discs have 67,000 miles and the pads have 31,000 miles, although to the eye they do not look worn I think they need to be changed. Probably during the previous change it was not cleaned properly and grease was not inserted.
Change the pads, with a better quality ones. You should notice the difference, what part of Italy are you from. Myself I was born and raised in Bari.(Puglia).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE
I've been to a tire shop and the pads (OEM) are worn but not at the end of their life, they probably still have a couple of months of life remaining. The rotors, on the other hand, have no marks and were considered good by the mechanic. Squeeling and squeeking still continue at low speed but no lengthening of braking distance or vibrations.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
Uggh...dude was about 10 minutes from pad replacement for you! Why not just replace them while in there instead of living with noise and going back into the shop again in a few months?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts