Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 3 weeks ago I found a nail in my tire. Its in the tread, but too far too the side for anyone to be willing to patch it. I wasn't overly upset, because I'm probably 5K-10K miles from needing new tires anyway. I'm still running the Potenza RFLs that were on it when I bought the car with 50K miles.

I instinctively went to Costco, ordered a set of non-RFL BFGs that were on sale for a great deal, and had them shipped. Brought the car in for installation today and they called me an hour later asking if I realized I currently had run-flat tires and no spare. I remembered it, but it must have completely slipped my mind when I ordered. :mad: So Costco is still holding the tires for now while I make up my mind whether to return them or not.

I really don't want to spend an extra $400 on RFLs that aren't going to last as long as the BFGs, but I get the risks. That said, I've been driving for 20 years and I haven't once had a complete flat. I get nails in my tires constantly due to living in an area with a lot of development, but I always catch it with TPMs and get to a tire shop to see what's going on. (That said, I've also always had a spare before this car too)

Is it too big of a risk to just go with the non-RFLs and have a bottle of Fix-a-Flat just in case? I've never used the stuff, but as I understand it, it will generally work as long as it's not severe damage to the sidewall. (Which frankly might render a RFL useless too). Even if I did have a leak so severe I couldn't make it to a tire shop, and I couldn't fix it with fix-a-flat, I have roadside assistance including towing in my coverage with USAA.

Anyone else driving around on non-RFLs without a spare??

·
Banned
799 Posts
Some members have recommended using fix a flat. However the goo is well known to wreck havoc with the TPMS.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
651 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some members have recommended using fix a flat. However the goo is well known to wreck havoc with the TPMS.
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. So is the biggest risk to the TPMS just a single sensor? I might be wiling to take the gamble since the odds of a full on flat are pretty low.

Can you still patch/repair a tire after using the goo?

·
Banned
799 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
@ATLGolfGuy...no brainer my friend and surprised you're even thinking of sticking with RF tires. The performance of a non-RF is so much safer and SUPERIOR to the RF you just need to get your BFG's installed my friend!

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I've used fix a flat on Infiniti Q50 wheels with TPMS. No problems. And I've driven thousands of miles on fix-a-flatted tires, no problem. And for the last three years I ran my Q50 on non-RFT tires, winter and summer. It made me nervous at times, but it worked out. I have AAA with long range towing, FWIW.

YMMV

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've used fix a flat on Infiniti Q50 wheels with TPMS. No problems. And I've driven thousands of miles on fix-a-flatted tires, no problem. And for the last three years I ran my Q50 on non-RFT tires, winter and summer. It made me nervous at times, but it worked out. I have AAA with long range towing, FWIW.

YMMV
which fix a flat would you recommend? are you able to share a link?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
I took my spare tires and tools out of my Maxima and S4 some unknown number of years ago for the 1/8 mile track, and never put them back in. My 50 has regular tires, no spare. I think only my TL still has a spare donut. And some 16 years and 140k miles later, the TL's donut is unused. I've stopped worrying about tire flats.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reactions: u1arunit

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
As a matter of fact I am.
Been discussed to death.

You'll discover MANY people have ditched the run-flats. Few use fix-a-flat goo. The next person to service that tire is not going to like it. Some keep a small compressor in the trunk (me). Some have added the spare tire kit (not an option with the hybrid). Some just roll the dice. In the rare occurrence of a complete blowout just call for the flatbed.

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,276 Posts
Some of us have picked up a OEM used spare, I like to be on the safe side, I don't know many tire shops that will clean out the different liquids out of those repair kits, I used it three days ago, even though I have a membership with CAA same as your AAA. If the sensor is damaged, it's going to cost even [email protected] rpiotro. Just beat me to it.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I ditched the runflats, I bought a Dynaplug Pro Extreme and a 100% duty cycle pump which looks just like the Dynaplug Mini Pro Inflator GT (I think Dynaplug rebrands it). I also keep a few other handy tools like needle nose locking pliers, regular pliers, hammer, and a small spray bottle of soapy water in a small kit in the spare tire area. I haven't had to and hope I don't, but I have them just in case.

Dynaplug® | Products

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
which fix a flat would you recommend? are you able to share a link?
I usually have the fix a flat brand and get the one for large tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I ditched the runflats, I bought a Dynaplug Pro Extreme and a 100% duty cycle pump which looks just like the Dynaplug Mini Pro Inflator GT (I think Dynaplug rebrands it). I also keep a few other handy tools like needle nose locking pliers, regular pliers, hammer, and a small spray bottle of soapy water in a small kit in the spare tire area. I haven't had to and hope I don't, but I have them just in case.

Dynaplug® | Products
Similar with me, only I use another repair kit.

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/accessories/tire-repair-kit

This one has three small CO2 bombs to fill up tire, but I have 12V compressor anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts