Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
If my wife gets a flat she's calling Road Side Assistance to tow her to the closest tire shop;) Don't over think it.

·
Banned
799 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Reactions: Jeffpeds

·
Banned
799 Posts
You can't live in a bubble. You can also be shot today by an active shooter situation but you get out of bed anyway and go to work. We live in a f&*k#d up world that's only getting worse but that's life.
Exactly 100% correct. I tell my wife to phone me first. If she has a flat or some other mechanical issue I or her brothers will be there before the tow truck driver. These tow truck driver incidents are unfortunately much too common. Fortunately she also has RF’s so she can drive slowly to a safe place.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Exactly 100% correct. I tell my wife to phone me first. If she has a flat or some other mechanical issue I or her brothers will be there before the tow truck driver. These tow truck driver incidents are unfortunately much too common. Fortunately she also has RF’s so she can drive slowly to a safe place.
Being that you are in Chicago, It's too bad a CCP is not an option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So about 3 weeks ago I found a nail in my tire. Its in the tread, but too far too the side for anyone to be willing to patch it. I wasn't overly upset, because I'm probably 5K-10K miles from needing new tires anyway. I'm still running the Potenza RFLs that were on it when I bought the car with 50K miles.

I instinctively went to Costco, ordered a set of non-RFL BFGs that were on sale for a great deal, and had them shipped. Brought the car in for installation today and they called me an hour later asking if I realized I currently had run-flat tires and no spare. I remembered it, but it must have completely slipped my mind when I ordered. :mad: So Costco is still holding the tires for now while I make up my mind whether to return them or not.

I really don't want to spend an extra $400 on RFLs that aren't going to last as long as the BFGs, but I get the risks. That said, I've been driving for 20 years and I haven't once had a complete flat. I get nails in my tires constantly due to living in an area with a lot of development, but I always catch it with TPMs and get to a tire shop to see what's going on. (That said, I've also always had a spare before this car too)

Is it too big of a risk to just go with the non-RFLs and have a bottle of Fix-a-Flat just in case? I've never used the stuff, but as I understand it, it will generally work as long as it's not severe damage to the sidewall. (Which frankly might render a RFL useless too). Even if I did have a leak so severe I couldn't make it to a tire shop, and I couldn't fix it with fix-a-flat, I have roadside assistance including towing in my coverage with USAA.

Anyone else driving around on non-RFLs without a spare??

Honestly I took my run flats off and bought all season Michelin pilot sport, I got a flat once, i put the spare on and drove to Goodyear where I had a tire plan for 1 year that fixes or replaces all my flat tires.

I would buy the tire protection warranty it isn't a scam at all!!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I bought a full tire protection warranty from my tire dealer when replacing my RF with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. They only charged me $10/tire for FULL replacement coverage if the flat cannot be fixed. For $40, I said he** yeh! Many shops charge unto $40/tire for the same coverage.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I bought a full tire protection warranty from my tire dealer when replacing my RF with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. They only charged me $10/tire for FULL replacement coverage if the flat cannot be fixed. For $40, I said he** yeh! Many shops charge unto $40/tire for the same coverage.
Oh that's not a bad idea, I wasn't even aware a dealer would offer a tire package like that if it wasn't the OEM tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ditched the awful run flats that came with the car. I followed the instructions in this thread to add a spare:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts