Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen about 2 or 3 people who have actually mentioned preordering the Q with all of the 'pre-introduction' pricing.

I find that very interesting. One of the Infiniti sales people on these boards mentioned the price increases on the JX after release and I wonder if they are using a pricing model to judge demand to determine their target price based on initial demand.

Anyway, I had assumed that there would be many more preorders - especially from some of the excited folks on this forum. I know some people might be waiting to actually see the car in June or test drive it before taking the jump (myself included) so I guess we'll see more activity at that point?

Anyone close to preordering at this point or are most people anticipating waiting a few months (or at least just to see one one in person)? If not these things, what's holding folks back? No auto mag reviews?(I know - don't get me started but you can't refute that MT and consumer reports can help or hurt a car A LOT)

I guess a $350 Apple gift certificate isn't enough to get people off the fence (I think giving away an iPad would 'sell' better than a gift card but they are the marketing gurus right?

If there aren't so many preorders or these don't move so quickly - the 'deal' ,mentality for Infiniti may rear it's head for the Q and there goes the move into premium pricing for Infiniti (potentially).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fact is, there is no real pre-ordering process. The first lot of production was determined by infiniti and dealers pick from allocated inventories to their district/market/whatever. So you can "pre-order" one, assuming the dealer you're working with can snag one from their districts allotment. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until the second wave coming in Aug, which I believe you can actually "order" from. I put order in quotes, because I'm still not sure if even then you can option it exactly how you want it, you may have to still use those predetermined option categories out there now on the configurator.

I put down a deposit, but even that seemed somewhat arbitrary and I assume will only give the dealer incentive to find the car I was sooner so they can sell it to me quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the pre-order and yes, they told me there's an identical spec coming in the second wave of cars, and one in the first wave that is nearly identical.

It was my impression that it's a non-traditional pre-order process, especially without the deposit.

It makes a huge difference to me how it compares in person with appearance and with how it drives. I've already driven a 335i and already shopped a few dealers, and I know what kind of price range is realistic for the one I want - there are discounts to be had if you look.

The magazine comparisons matter to some extent because I'd like to see the numbers on how the Q50 compares in performance in a somewhat objective testing. If it was mostly about practicality or reliability then I would have just bought an Accord but it's not... the performance matters a lot, and comparative performance. The IS-350 is already off my list because I can't stand the rear appearance design with the lines and it didn't compare favorably in performance to the 335i.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I did the pre-order and yes, they told me there's an identical spec coming in the second wave of cars, and one in the first wave that is nearly identical.

It was my impression that it's a non-traditional pre-order process, especially without the deposit.

It makes a huge difference to me how it compares in person with appearance and with how it drives. I've already driven a 335i and already shopped a few dealers, and I know what kind of price range is realistic for the one I want - there are discounts to be had if you look.

The magazine comparisons matter to some extent because I'd like to see the numbers on how the Q50 compares in performance in a somewhat objective testing. If it was mostly about practicality or reliability then I would have just bought an Accord but it's not... the performance matters a lot, and comparative performance. The IS-350 is already off my list because I can't stand the rear appearance design with the lines and it didn't compare favorably in performance to the 335i.
I wouldn't even put the IS350 and the 335i in the same class, power or price-wise the Lexus doesn't match up. It's a closer comparison to the 325i or lower trims. I still think they made a mistake sticking with a 300hp engine, there is too much competition in this class with better numbers for the money.

Magazines...eh...yeah I would like to see reviews also but Infiniti depends so heavily on this winning, they won't let a less than perfect build into the hands of journalists that typically nitpick Infiniti to death. Every review is usually "Infiniti has a serious 3 competitor on their hands BUT they need 2 more cupholders" or "BMW may need to worry when the VQ37 is less coarse", or "Mercedes can build a better suspension after a 32oz vodka". Meanwhile they continue to sell well enough to float the brand.

They are also counting on this car to crack a lot of new markets for them. Europe, as poor as it is these days, still buys cars and China wants (to be driven in) anything, as long as you can add a few inches to the back seat. Every car must be a limo before they buy it no matter what model it is or if other, larger models are more suitable. Still waiting to see China ask for a stretched Hyundai Veloster. :p

Could it have had a better engine? Maybe. Could it have had more gears in the transmission? Probably. But the tech value is there and does justice to the Q name, and recycling the drivetrain gives confidence to new (and old) buyers.

As anyone has read me blather on about before, I believe in this model and I know it will do well. I preordered in Hagane Blue after seeing it in person back in March. I may regret not getting the Sport, or skipping the 19's, until I have to buy tires or nail bad roads on a daily basis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The IS350 isn't a terrible car. It's actually quite fun to drive and I never thought it felt underpowered like the Mercedes C350. Aside from the redesign, it just doesn't seem to have a whole lot of character and just seems small. Also, it's hard to get excited about a car I see so frequently.

I'm turned off by the 3 series for similar reasons. See it all the time and it feels very small. At least BMW gives you the ability to customize and a get a fairly unique car, but you're gonna pay $$$$ for it.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I did the pre-order, and when I wanted to change the order, the general manager did so. Whether that car arrives in the first wave is another matter; he said he didn't think it would. My deposit is refundable, so if there's a problem, I'll just get my money back. My present car is the best I've ever had, and I've had it longer than any other. I'm probably an idiot for trading now, but hey, how long does anyone live. :D

As far as there not being any reviews out, I don't think Infiniti really wants anything right now. They're still trying to sell the remaining G37's, and it will be tougher to do once the Q50 comes out. Any publicity about the Q50 now will just make it that much harder.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Using this one message board to understanding Q50 "pre-orders" probably isn't be the way I'd go at gauging the overall interest. :p
Totally agreed! Although Infiniti usually attract younger drivers who are online 20/7:p, I"m sure there're plenty "old(er)" ones ;) who might not even think much of using internet (let alone a forum) when deciding on their new vehicle.

Some probably are not 100% sure what they really want; or, they KNOW what they want and don't feel Q50 is THAT promising; or, they like the car but not the price; or ..

For me, I know what I want (Infiniti tech/safety), what I don't like (Lexus), what I don't mind (engine, wheels, sporty features..), ... so pre-order decision was not difficult!

The difficult part might be if I like M's ride much better than Q50 in Aug! .. :p

Either way I will have a wonderful car! :) Can't wait...

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree On All points. Definitely not a huge sample size but I wanted get a gauge from the folks that seem most interested and I think many on this board qualify.

I really had expected to hear about a bunch of refundable deposits being made by now so I figured I would see what people were thinking.

I won't put down a deposit until I have a chance to at least see the car in person. The pics look great and I'm sure it drives well and I already know the engine so those are a plus.

I do think the dealers are going to push the G's right now. A lot of them out there and once the Q comes out, the lesser equipped G's may actually fill the segment that Infiniti was going for with the G25. It will be interesting to see what happens to the M.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
My dealer didn't care about a deposit, and I don't know why. They got me a preorder anyway. I've never bought a car from them, but I have had my car serviced there religiously since I bought it used off-lease from another dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dealer didn't care about a deposit, and I don't know why. They got me a preorder anyway.
Same thing here. I optioned the car the way I wanted within the constraints Infiniti has created (Hagane Blue RWD Sport, Graphite interior, Nav/Deluxe Touring/Spare Tire packages -- that last one as a paid option is stupid, by the way), and they ordered it with their first group. No deposit required.

As to why I decided to order the car: I've mentioned it before, but I am 90 percent sure I'll love the car based on previous Nissan / Infiniti purchases. It's time to trade my G37s so the timing is right. And we were able to work out a little deal on the Q50. If I hate it for some reason, I'll walk away and head for the BMW dealership, I suppose. But if I love it and decide to buy it, I get to be one of the first people in the Dallas area to drive around in one. (I love the unique factor. Sue me.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't even put the IS350 and the 335i in the same class, power or price-wise the Lexus doesn't match up. It's a closer comparison to the 325i or lower trims. I still think they made a mistake sticking with a 300hp engine, there is too much competition in this class with better numbers for the money.

Magazines...eh...yeah I would like to see reviews also but Infiniti depends so heavily on this winning, they won't let a less than perfect build into the hands of journalists that typically nitpick Infiniti to death. Every review is usually "Infiniti has a serious 3 competitor on their hands BUT they need 2 more cupholders" or "BMW may need to worry when the VQ37 is less coarse", or "Mercedes can build a better suspension after a 32oz vodka". Meanwhile they continue to sell well enough to float the brand.

They are also counting on this car to crack a lot of new markets for them. Europe, as poor as it is these days, still buys cars and China wants (to be driven in) anything, as long as you can add a few inches to the back seat. Every car must be a limo before they buy it no matter what model it is or if other, larger models are more suitable. Still waiting to see China ask for a stretched Hyundai Veloster. :p

Could it have had a better engine? Maybe. Could it have had more gears in the transmission? Probably. But the tech value is there and does justice to the Q name, and recycling the drivetrain gives confidence to new (and old) buyers.

As anyone has read me blather on about before, I believe in this model and I know it will do well. I preordered in Hagane Blue after seeing it in person back in March. I may regret not getting the Sport, or skipping the 19's, until I have to buy tires or nail bad roads on a daily basis.
At least for the upcoming 3rd Gen IS, Car and Driver disagrees. The new IS350 beat (by a narrow margin) the 335i M Sport.

Habemus Papem! 2013 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6, 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport – Comparison Test – Car and Driver

The new IS and the Q will arrive to market roughly at the same time. Not fair to compare it to the outgoing model.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.