Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Name's Ray.. My wife and I will be stepping into our Moonlight White Q50S AWD tomorrow!

We optioned with Graphite and Maple, Nav, Touring and it was instock adding Spare tire and Splash Guards. For the price (VPP) we couldn't say no.

This will be my first import since an accord in college. Quite excited to enjoy the experience.

We purchased from Ray Catena in NJ and have been very happy with the service so far.

And thanks to this forum for alot of the information. I stopped them from drilling my bumper to look into the Stillen bracket and I am working to get them to do the InTouch TSB prior to pick up as my VIN indicates I'll need it.

Reactions: JasonH

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congrats Ray!

So from your subject line of coming from Ford/Lincolns, did you look at and/or consider the new Lincoln MKZ? If so, what were your thoughts on it? Why did you ultimately go with the Q50 over it? I was about dead-set on the MKZ myself. But the lack of power in the Hybrid led me to check out the Q50 Hybrid and I've been leaning the Infiniti direction ever since!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Which Ford are you moving from? I came from a '12 Focus - with a bad transmission. I hope your Ford experience has been positive; as the Focus is likely the last Ford I'll ever own.
I too am coming from a '12 Focus (SEL Hatch) but did not have the dreaded DCT problem luckily! I just want a nice upgrade step, or three :)

I am basing my future car purchase from my experience with Ford and can say already I am very impressed with Infiniti in general! Excited to pick up my Q!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Which Ford are you moving from? I came from a '12 Focus - with a bad transmission. I hope your Ford experience has been positive; as the Focus is likely the last Ford I'll ever own.
I too am coming from a '12 Focus (SEL Hatch) but did not have the dreaded DCT problem luckily! I just want a nice upgrade step, or three :)

I am basing my future car purchase from my experience with Ford and can say already I am very impressed with Infiniti in general! Excited to pick up my Q!
what was the whole DCT problem with the Focus? I had a Focus rental that was amazing, loved how the DCT worked

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi all,
Name's Ray.. My wife and I will be stepping into our Moonlight White Q50S AWD tomorrow!

We optioned with Graphite and Maple, Nav, Touring and it was instock adding Spare tire and Splash Guards. For the price (VPP) we couldn't say no.

This will be my first import since an accord in college. Quite excited to enjoy the experience.

We purchased from Ray Catena in NJ and have been very happy with the service so far.

And thanks to this forum for alot of the information. I stopped them from drilling my bumper to look into the Stillen bracket and I am working to get them to do the InTouch TSB prior to pick up as my VIN indicates I'll need it.
Always good to hear good things about my dealer.. looks like you worked with Paul right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
what was the whole DCT problem with the Focus? I had a Focus rental that was amazing, loved how the DCT worked
My experience was pretty horrid; I had a 2012 Titanium Hatch. I had only 24k miles on the car and it was nearly paid off. When I got the car it had problems engaging the clutches fully. Going over slight inclines at 40MPH was putting me over 3k rpm.
After a few software updates, the clutch engadged more but as I was still getting slippage. Roll forward to this summer. Something about the heat changed something in the transmission. At this point I was getting just slippage, the car was violently shaking in 1-2,2-3, and 3-4 shifts. It would also often miss 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The tranny would try twice or three times.
The only thing the dealership, and eventually Ford would do, was flash the transmission software. This would clear the problem for about 6 weeks, but then would come back in full force. A Ford Corporate engineer actually checked out my car and said it was fine!
The only thing that could possible fix it was a complete tear down and re-build, but I couldn't even get Ford to approve a clutch replacement, for which there was an existing TSB.
This was Ford's approach to fixing my problems for lots of things. For instance, when I got my car the automatic climate control would fail if the temperature was above 70F. I would turn on the car and it would do nothing, not blow any air, much less it be cold. Ford actually said that was Ok! After checking the forums, one very helpful member posted a TSB actually stating this issue. I had to go into dealership with the TSB myself to get the car fixed. They continued to declare that it was working fine right up to the point where I walked in with the TSB.

Needless to say at this point I was desperate for a different ownership experience.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
My experience was pretty horrid; I had a 2012 Titanium Hatch. I had only 24k miles on the car and it was nearly paid off. When I got the car it had problems engaging the clutches fully. Going over slight inclines at 40MPH was putting me over 3k rpm.
After a few software updates, the clutch engadged more but as I was still getting slippage. Roll forward to this summer. Something about the heat changed something in the transmission. At this point I was getting just slippage, the car was violently shaking in 1-2,2-3, and 3-4 shifts. It would also often miss 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The tranny would try twice or three times.
The only thing the dealership, and eventually Ford would do, was flash the transmission software. This would clear the problem for about 6 weeks, but then would come back in full force. A Ford Corporate engineer actually checked out my car and said it was fine!
The only thing that could possible fix it was a complete tear down and re-build, but I couldn't even get Ford to approve a clutch replacement, for which there was an existing TSB.
This was Ford's approach to fixing my problems for lots of things. For instance, when I got my car the automatic climate control would fail if the temperature was above 70F. I would turn on the car and it would do nothing, not blow any air, much less it be cold. Ford actually said that was Ok! After checking the forums, one very helpful member posted a TSB actually stating this issue. I had to go into dealership with the TSB myself to get the car fixed. They continued to declare that it was working fine right up to the point where I walked in with the TSB.

Needless to say at this point I was desperate for a different ownership experience.
All this sounds familiar. My last Ford product(actually, my last domestic car) was a 1996 Sable. The transmission would sometimes not downshift back to 1st when coming to a stop - it would stay in 5th(or was it 4th?) gear. It was really "exciting" when trying to make a left turn across traffic, and the car would barely move. Ford insisted that they didn't know what was wrong, and tried reprogramming the transmission. Only after I dumped it for my first Infiniti did I learn that the Taurus/Sable transmission had had problems for years, and that Ford wouldn't do anything about it. Except for a couple of years in a Murano, I've been in an Infiniti since. With only a couple of exceptions, the domestic cars I've owned have been of extremely low quality. I'd never buy another one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Admittedly some of these Ford/Lincoln "issues" (a.k.a. owner horror stories) is yet another reason I have moved away from the Lincoln MKZ to the Q50. In going through the their forums (and none of them are as good as this one BTW), it seems there are more problems and of a more serious nature than what is reported here by Q50 owners.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats Ray!

So from your subject line of coming from Ford/Lincolns, did you look at and/or consider the new Lincoln MKZ? If so, what were your thoughts on it? Why did you ultimately go with the Q50 over it? I was about dead-set on the MKZ myself. But the lack of power in the Hybrid led me to check out the Q50 Hybrid and I've been leaning the Infiniti direction ever since!
My wife had the LS when I met her... So when the Z came out I thought she'd naturally like it, but the first version was awful. This latest looked nice to me, but she didn't care for the interior and the engine line-up was blah for me. The 4cyl ecoboost just didn't work for either of us when we demo'd it in the Fusion, so we didn't bother to drive the Z. When my wife saw the price tag of 50K for the Z she just walked out... didn't see the value in the car she said. We went to Catena at first to look at the G37. The Q50 she saw the value in the price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

We are coming out of a 2011 Egde AWD Limited for her and a 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin for me... She's got the Q and I am ordering a '14 Ram 1500 for my towing needs. I've been a Ford guy my whole life, but after 15 of them, they just aren't value to the dollar like other brands are today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Always good to hear good things about my dealer.. looks like you worked with Paul right?
Hi Jason, yes, we took delivery from Paul today... He pointed you out and I meant to stop and say hi, but my wife ended up with an awful sinus headache while we were there and I had to get her home... She didn't even feel up to driving which tells you how crappy she felt. Sadly I wasn't able to play with the Paddles cause of how she felt.

Reactions: JasonH
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.