Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Infiniti Q50 Press Kit - Infiniti Online Newsroom, click on Specs.
This confirms all the bad news and then some:
- trunk is 9.4 cu ft for all hybrids (instead of 14.1 announced). The brochure sent to all dealer has a misprint, saying that this is only for the AWD models
- trunk is 13.5 for all gas models (instead of 18 announced)
- interior space is 100 cu ft for all models (instead of 112 & 108 announced)
- MPG for the hybrid models is slightly lower than what was reported (36/34/34/31 highway for the 4 models)
- Weirdly, the EPA classification for the gas models is Mid-Size, whereas for the hybrid models it's Compact. Go figure.
- On the bright side, front leg room on the hybrid is 434.5 inches (yes, another misprint).
- the 19" wheels option is in fact available for all Premium models (in the previous order guides, it wasn't available for Premium Hybrids)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
9.4 cubic ft :'(

Im heading out to my dealer tom! Just got word they have a hybrid now so I will try and check the actual size of the trunk for myself! I hope its at least satisfactory to me but hearing this is quite dissapointing! :(

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
2014 Infiniti Q50 Press Kit - Infiniti Online Newsroom, click on Specs.
This confirms all the bad news and then some:
- trunk is 9.4 cu ft for all hybrids (instead of 14.1 announced). The brochure sent to all dealer has a misprint, saying that this is only for the AWD models
- trunk is 13.5 for all gas models (instead of 18 announced)
- MPG for the hybrid models is slightly lower than what was reported (36/34/34/31 highway for the 4 models)
- Weirdly, the EPA classification for the gas models is Mid-Size, whereas for the hybrid models it's Compact. Go figure.
- On the bright side, front leg room on the hybrid is 434.5 inches (yes, another misprint).
- the 19" wheels option is in fact available for all Premium models (in the previous order guides, it wasn't available for Premium Hybrids)
How do you know the brochure has a misprint and not the press kit?

·
Registered
118 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. This would make it about 10% smaller inside than the current G, when in fact people are saying it is a bit roomier. I suspect they are still shoving bogus numbers out there. The new trunk figures I believe are correct, but this interior volume just doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. This would make it about 10% smaller inside than the current G, when in fact people are saying it is a bit roomier. I suspect they are still shoving bogus numbers out there. The new trunk figures I believe are correct, but this interior volume just doesn't look right.
The g is listed at 96 cubic feet interior space. Trunk space for the g is also 13.5 cubic feet.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
These shrinking capacities do concern me. I got my G as a replacement for a Maxima. So, I lost some space but it was not a huge deal. If the interior volume and the trunk capacity are what is printed in the press kit, I cannot see myself picking up the Q50 Hybrid Sport.

Did anyone else notice that the spare tire is shown as standard on the hybrids?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I think the whole trunk size thing has a lot to do with the spare tire. Since the spare is not standard, they probably included the space the spare would take up in the well below and included that to get the 18 cu. ft. number. They probably can't officially include that in the cargo capacity of the trunk, hence the drop to 13.5.

As far as the interior volume measurement... interior dimensions should somewhat be taken with a grain of salt. Its def something you should wait to judge in person and has a lot to do with how the car is shaped. The car could be slightly wider, but lost some interior height making it technically smaller, but theres more hip room... just an example.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
No spare tire for any of the hybrid.
Except the spec sheet lists it as standard for all hybrid models and optional for gas models...that must be why all hybrids have the lower space because they're now including the spare tire space and likely the reason the official trunk space for gas model is lower too
T145/70R18 spare

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
9.4 cubic ft :'(

Im heading out to my dealer tom! Just got word they have a hybrid now so I will try and check the actual size of the trunk for myself! I hope its at least satisfactory to me but hearing this is quite dissapointing! :(
Can't wait to see the video of Gbert climbing into the trunk :D

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Can't wait to see the video of Gbert climbing into the trunk :D
Hahaha! What info would that give u guys other than giving u the satisfaction of me bending over while getting in the trunk? Hahahaha! :p

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you know the brochure has a misprint and not the press kit?
Good point! But the press kit does not list dimensions by model, whereas in the printed sheet they are repeated for each column, so it's far more likely that someone did a copy/paste mistake there.

These shrinking capacities do concern me. I got my G as a replacement for a Maxima. So, I lost some space but it was not a huge deal. If the interior volume and the trunk capacity are what is printed in the press kit, I cannot see myself picking up the Q50 Hybrid Sport.

Did anyone else notice that the spare tire is shown as standard on the hybrids?
Awesome find! What came immediately to my mind came to other's mind too, see below.

I think the whole trunk size thing has a lot to do with the spare tire. Since the spare is not standard, they probably included the space the spare would take up in the well below and included that to get the 18 cu. ft. number. They probably can't officially include that in the cargo capacity of the trunk, hence the drop to 13.5.

As far as the interior volume measurement... interior dimensions should somewhat be taken with a grain of salt. Its def something you should wait to judge in person and has a lot to do with how the car is shaped. The car could be slightly wider, but lost some interior height making it technically smaller, but theres more hip room... just an example.
Except that there's 2 inches LESS hip room in the Q50 compared to the G.

Except the spec sheet lists it as standard for all hybrid models and optional for gas models...that must be why all hybrids have the lower space because they're now including the spare tire space and likely the reason the official trunk space for gas model is lower too
T145/70R18 spare
That's what I think too. The gas models lost 4.5 cu ft, and the hybrids 4.6, so with rounding errors, that's the same absolute amount.
Maybe they realized that on hybrids that are 300 lbs heavier (and quite heavy, 4000 lbs in average), the run-flats tended to get ripped to shreds, so they opted for this measure rather than risk lawsuits and/or deaths.
It might even be part of the "engineering updates" that delayed the launch by one month.
But that's still bad news...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since M35H get about 5.2 and Q50S hybrid RWD is about 163lbs lighter than the M35H, I predict it is about 5.0 - 5.1. But, I do hope it get 4.7 :)
Q50 has a bit more torque tho!

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Registered
140 Posts
T145/70R18 spare
Who needs a spare when the car comes with run flats?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Except that there's 2 inches LESS hip room in the Q50 compared to the G.
I was only giving an example and it wasn't specific to the Q50. But my whole point is that the measurements could be pointless. It may be rated at 2 inches less hip room, but they could have reshaped the seats to make it feel more or just as spacious in that area of measurement. It has been consistently said by many that the Q50 feels slightly more spacious inside.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.