Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
I posted this in another weight reduction thread but I guess I should add it to the "official" thread here. :)
-----------------

For those of you looking for every possible pound reduction for track night (easy removal):

Carpeted OEM floor mats (4): 4lb 3.2oz
Owner's manual and related booklets (assuming you normally keep it in your glove box): 2lb 3.6oz
All 5 headrests: 7lb 0.0oz
If you want to leave at least your driver side headrest in place (probably recommended): + 1lb 14.0oz
Thus, 4 headrests: 5lb 2.0oz

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
Also, worth noting, gasoline weighs about 6lb/gal. That can really add up when comparing a full tank of gas to, say 1/8 or 1/4.

I think our tank holds 20 gal? So 1/4 tank = 30lb, full tank = 120lb

Also keep in mind water weighs a little over 8lb/gal. I don't know the capacity of our windshield washer tanks but if it were, say, a gallon, you could save ~8lb by running with the fluid on the low end.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
Also, worth noting, gasoline weighs about 6lb/gal. That can really add up when comparing a full tank of gas to, say 1/8 or 1/4.

I think our tank holds 20 gal? So 1/4 tank = 30lb, full tank = 120lb

Also keep in mind water weighs a little over 8lb/gal. I don't know the capacity of our windshield washer tanks but if it were, say, a gallon, you could save ~8lb by running with the fluid on the low end.
Since you're going for the nth degree here, make sure to only use non-ETOH gas as ETOH has a greater density than gas. Also, use the restroom before driving to eliminate all bodily wastes as weight. Likewise, shave all the hair off your body and trim your nails. Don't forget to strip naked before driving and be sure to spit out the window at regular intervals. Liposuction to remove excess body fat, donating blood before driving, as well as donating a kidney and/or lung would help also.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
The PCA requires EVERYTHING is out of your car. Nothing in the trunk, glove box, map pockets, no floor mats, just your lug nut socket/key as they verify torque in inspection. Valid drivers license is required as well as a current pre-inspection form signed by valad club approved site.

They recommend bringing tons of drinking water, a chair, windex, paper towels, sunscreen, extra quart of oil, torque wrench, jack, tow hook, food, rain gear, umbrella (sun or rain), hat, sunglasses, and money. You keep it all at your parking spot.

Looks like a campsite but with very expense cars. ?

They check during inspection at the beginning of the day under the hood, trunk, and check the torque on every lug nut. Hence bringing your socket/key.

Since gas is heavy the serious drivers have a few VP gas containers filled with gas of chouce and the octane of their choice.

100 octane unleaded is $11 a gallon at the track. They had 93 too for less. I did not ask the price. I just topped off with 4.7 gal of 100. 5 or so gallons mixed with 93 = 96 mix in the tank when full.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
updated 1st post
Nice, thanks jodedor. Ok, here are some more:

- Carpeted trunk mat/floor board: 3lb 15.0oz

- That odd empty styrofoam spare tire tool tray thing and the only (worthless) tool that came in it (a single lug wrench, really?): 1lb 10.4oz

- OEM lug nuts (20): 3lb 8.8oz

- My aftermarket lightweight GSP gunmetal lug nuts (20): 1lb 5.2oz

<Thus, total lug nuts savings = 2lb 3.6oz. Apply the "3x" multiplier for rotational mass and we have a hopeful weight reduction of 6.67lb. Of course, you need to carry around the security lug nut key which weighs 6.2oz but at least that is non-rotational weight. ;) >

- My Z1 2-piece front rotors showed up today. The rears are still being made. I can confirm that a Z1 2-piece front rotor weighs in at 19lb 14.2oz

[*Disclosure, I am using a Harbor Freight mail scale for all my weighings (is 'weighings' a word??).]

I hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
I got 29lb 5 oz for front OEM rotor FYI & 19 lb 7 oz for Z1 2 piece rotor from my notes.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
You could sand all the paint off the car and save a few more pounds.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I am not a huge fan of CF but you can't have a conversation about weight reduction without bringing it up. VIS has a few options of hoods and trunks to choose from for our car. Sorry, I don't know the weight savings.
http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog...ear=2017&Category=Hood&keyword&bycategory=yes
That is the biggest problem when it comes to CF pieces. It is like pulling teeth to get correct information.

Now, I believe our hoods are made of aluminum, so weight savings will be small.

Is the trunk aluminum?

If I could get a CF roof and delete the sunroof, I would do it in a heartbeat.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
That is the biggest problem when it comes to CF pieces. It is like pulling teeth to get correct information.

Now, I believe our hoods are made of aluminum, so weight savings will be small.

Is the trunk aluminum?

If I could get a CF roof and delete the sunroof, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Hood is aluminum, trunk is steel.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
I found out the hood was aluminum the night I was installing my AMS intakes and I went to stick my magnetic shop light to it and it didn't stick!

jodedor, did you see my post #66 ?
https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/1377947-post66.html
Just asking because it didn't seem you acknowledged it nor edited post #1 . I was up until 1am taking things on and off my car to weigh them, so just checking! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Nice, thanks jodedor. Ok, here are some more:

- Carpeted trunk mat/floor board: 3lb 15.0oz

- That odd empty styrofoam spare tire tool tray thing and the only (worthless) tool that came in it (a single lug wrench, really?): 1lb 10.4oz

- OEM lug nuts (20): 3lb 8.8oz

- My aftermarket lightweight GSP gunmetal lug nuts (20): 1lb 5.2oz

<Thus, total lug nuts savings = 2lb 3.6oz. Apply the "3x" multiplier for rotational mass and we have a hopeful weight reduction of 6.67lb. Of course, you need to carry around the security lug nut key which weighs 6.2oz but at least that is non-rotational weight. ;) >

- My Z1 2-piece front rotors showed up today. The rears are still being made. I can confirm that a Z1 2-piece front rotor weighs in at 19lb 14.2oz

[*Disclosure, I am using a Harbor Freight mail scale for all my weighings (is 'weighings' a word??).]

I hope this helps. :)
Thanks for reminding me.

First post updated.

Clarification:
The styrofoam and lug wrench weigh only 1lb 10.4 oz together?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
Thanks for reminding me.

First post updated.

Clarification:
The styrofoam and lug wrench weigh only 1lb 10.4 oz together?
Correct, I left the wrench in the Styrofoam tray and weight them together to get a total of 1lb 1.4oz for both combined.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Aluminum? I'll stick with steel. TI would be nice though. Tough stuff. I used to have a TI jet engine fan blade on my office desk. Plenty of tough AL alloys tho.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
If there wasn't the potential for another belt snap (another because it happened almost 2000 miles back), I'd consider it.

All things considered, I will leave that part alone so it can be fixed under warranty.

Reactions: JohnInNH
61 - 80 of 111 Posts