Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
So, I found another near three pounds weight reduction tonight. :)

Rear passenger side tow hook. 2lb 9.8oz.

I didn't see another tow hook available for removal (front or rear) but, if i missed one, please let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here is a comparison of what a lighter set of wheels can do which is almost .25 off his quarter mile time. The 1/4 runs were 1 week apart and DA is similar. Niche wheels in the 20'' diameter are typically 28 + lbs. Mutegi's heaviest traklite wheel weighs 19.36 lbs. Also, we have to factor in the weight difference between a 285 tire and 245.

User is from the Facebook VR30 Tech Talk forum.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,876 Posts
I believe it's Motegi...not Mutegi.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Here is a comparison of what a lighter set of wheels can do which is almost .25 off his quarter mile time. The 1/4 runs were 1 week apart and DA is similar. Niche wheels in the 20'' diameter are typically 28 + lbs. Mutegi's heaviest traklite wheel weighs 19.36 lbs. Also, we have to factor in the weight difference between a 285 tire and 245.

User is from the Facebook VR30 Tech Talk forum.
Oh I was looking at the Motegi wheels for my G, let me know how they hold up over the long-term. I was hesitant to buy them
as they are manufactured in China and I'd be worried about long-term durability.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
And DA difference matters significantly.

The DA is posted, is that a significant difference to account for majority of the performance increase rather than the wheel/tire?
no no, it was a general comment that difference in DA can make a significant impact on performance, but those 2 are pretty close being within a 100ft. 18s for performance!

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
So, I found another near three pounds weight reduction tonight. :)

Rear passenger side tow hook. 2lb 9.8oz.

I didn't see another tow hook available for removal (front or rear) but, if i missed one, please let me know!
I may have missed this posting. Not sure if I'd want to remove tow hooks as I was towed not too long ago for my sepentine engine's misbehavings.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
I may have missed this posting. Not sure if I'd want to remove tow hooks as I was towed not too long ago for my sepentine engine's misbehavings.

Anyone else wanna chime in?
jodedor,
Well, I say list the info (on page 1) for information purposes (only) and let each owner decide for themselves if they want to take 'the risk'. Personally I have never needed a tow hook in my 28 years of driving. I took mine off and left it off. I hope (?), if I ever did need a tow cable to pull my car, there is another safe point to use.

Is there a front tow hook(s) that I am missing?

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Dyno uses them.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,876 Posts
jodedor,
Well, I say list the info (on page 1) for information purposes (only) and let each owner decide for themselves if they want to take 'the risk'. Personally I have never needed a tow hook in my 28 years of driving. I took mine off and left it off. I hope (?), if I ever did need a tow cable to pull my car, there is another safe point to use.

I asked the tow truck driver who flat-bedded my car to the dealership about those screw-in tow hooks and he said he doesn't use them because he has seen them fail because of corroded threads and the tow cable becomes a lethal weapon when it turns loose. He always uses the tow hooks that are under the car to pull vehicles onto his flatbed because he said pulling with two attachment points is safer than just one. He said the only reason he would use the screw-in tow hooks is in a situation where he can't access the bottom of the vehicle.

There are two front hook points behind the front axle that he chained up to that he pulled the car onto the flatbed with.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
jodedor,

You want your tow hooks in place for hpde events.

Yes, I have been towed at a track event (not in my Q50, but a different car). And when my serpentine engine gave out, it was pulled up on a flatbed via the front tow hook.

I will put it there with a word of caution added.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
Here's one for you guys. A tungsten 8mm wide, size 8.5 men's wedding ring weighs 0.6oz. A titanium ring in the same size.... doesn't even tip the scale!

So, the moral of the story is choose a titanium ring over a tungsten ring...... or, maybe better yet..... save yourself the trouble and lots of money and forget the whole marriage thing altogether? Spend the saved money on mods!

j/k ;)

Attachments

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Or just go on a personal diet. Bicyclists spend a fortune on Ti parts. We can too, but if loosing 10 lbs by not eating pizza n chips followed by a good import beer, may be good for you, and save a ton of $. Cheep good way to lighten your car.

Granted if you are thin losing weight is not an option.
Lol or kick your passenger out of the car. I used to be fat, now am just a bit over weight. Lol.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,876 Posts
Or just go on a personal diet. Bicyclists spend a fortune on Ti parts. We can too, but if loosing 10 lbs by not eating pizza n chips followed by a good import beer, may be good for you, and save a ton of $. Cheep good way to lighten your car.

Lol or kick your passenger out of the car. I used to be fat, now am just a bit over weight. Lol.
That's why I have a Titanium watch. 30% lighter than SS and my 1/4 mile ET dropped by 0.000001 seconds when I wear it vs. my SS watch.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts

Nooo I like my import beers~

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Me too, I gave 6 Becks "NA" beers in my fridge. Tasty mmmmm. ??
That way I can drink n drive ?.. can't eat pizza w/o one! I gave up etoh years ago. Not worth it. Even if you are under the limit if you get in an accident you are screwed.

<johnInNH story>
I was at a dead stop when a kid on a bicycle hit me head on in my car. He was driving one handed with a hotdog in his hand while looking back at his friend behind him.
He flew onto my hood leaving mustard & relish on my windshield. He got bruised pretty badly & screwed up his bike some.
Well, at the far side of the parking lot a good samaritan called the local cops "some drunk hit a kid on his bike"

Needless to say 3 cop cars surrounded me. First thing was "have you had anything to drink"

Very long story... his friend verified my recount of the story and the kid was all apologetic. He was grounded by his mom b4 he went out and kept saying "don't tell my parents!"
A little tough as the kid had a huge hematoma on his stomach/waist.

Not drinking AT ALL was a saviour. Imagine if I had even just one beer that evening.
Ever since I never have to worry as I don't drink. It's just not worth it to me. Plus, I save a lot of $. I have expensive taste. ?
<end frivolous story>

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
FYI:

I didn't quite get the claimed 10lb per front and 5lb per rear, each, with my Z1 2-pc lightweight rotors. Using my (admittedly) Harbor Freight mail scale, I got:

OEM front rotors (ea): 29lb 2.6oz
Z1 front rotors (ea): 19lb 13.2oz

OEM rear rotors (ea): 19lb 9.6oz
Z1 rear rotors (ea): 15lb 1.4oz

Conclusion: Per my weighings, approx savings front, ea, = 9.5lb; approx savings rear, ea, = 4.5lb.

Reactions: Joe_Q50Red_978

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,876 Posts
FYI:

I didn't quite get the claimed 10lb per front and 5lb per rear, each, with my Z1 2-pc lightweight rotors. Using my (admittedly) Harbor Freight mail scale, I got:

OEM front rotors (ea): 29lb 2.6oz
Z1 front rotors (ea): 19lb 13.2oz

OEM rear rotors (ea): 19lb 9.6oz
Z1 rear rotors (ea): 15lb 1.4oz

Conclusion: Per my weighings, approx savings front, ea, = 9.5lb; approx savings rear, ea, = 4.5lb.
You should send them back for a refund and threaten Z1 with a false advertising, class-action lawsuit!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,680 Posts
You should send them back for a refund and threaten Z1 with a false advertising, class-action lawsuit!
That's right! And my Subway Footlong at lunch wasn't quite 12" so I will have to throw Subway in there too!

81 - 100 of 111 Posts