Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did my first DIY oil and filter change (on this car) along with two new air filters.

The air filters were likely the originals with 35K on them. Absolutely filthy, including the air boxes.

Took the 2 piece air boxes off and thoroughly hosed off/cleaned all the dirt and bug debris.
This was primarily on the air intake side of the filter housing, attached to the radiator support.
There was very little dirt that made it past the filter to the side with the hose attachment. There was some though.

Be VERY careful when cleaning out that side as the "hot-wire" airflow sensor resides there and they tend to be fragile.
I suppose one could carefully remove them and then clean the airbox.

As far as the oil and filter change, it was very straightforward.
I did refer to this before starting:
https://q50tech.blogspot.com/2013/10/diy-engine-oil-change-of-infiniti-q50.html
just to see if there were any potential "gotchas" in the process. Nope, easy-peasy.

Followed that how-to pretty closely, but deviated slightly in a couple spots.
I used a Fram XG (Ultra Synthetic) filter XG6607 instead of the Nissan filter as I'm not worried about warranty at this point.

The blog poster mentioned "panels left hanging down" from the quick-change oil places and sure enough, all 3 of the plastic push-pin retainers were missing from my splash panel, allowing it to sag down about 3 inches and no doubt flop at speed.
Had some miscellaneous ones laying around the garage of the correct diameter, pushed them in, no more sag.

My point with all of this is:
I'm a fairly experienced DIY wrench/gearhead, but no one that knows how to operate a ratchet wrench and properly lift and support a car should be afraid to tackle their own oil and filter change on these cars.
Save some money and have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously?
Where dafuq is the filter snob smiley?

It's a freakin' Nissan, not a McClaren.
Sometimes I think you guys think you're driving sports/race cars.

Show me where they are categorically any worse than any other filter and maybe I'll consider upgrading a disposable item.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
...I used a Fram XG (Extra Guard) filter XG6607 instead of the Nissan filter as I'm not worried about warranty at this point....
Or much of anything else.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, what am I missing here? Why the hate?
Again I'll ask, show me where Fram oil filters have been proven to be sub-standard or have been shown to have caused premature engine wear or death.

If people want to allow themselves to be swayed by internet smack-talking, sky-is-falling, wolf-crying, OMG my filter killed my motor mush mouths, so they can justify purchasing whatever else, or just pile on some anti-this or that bandwagon, so be it.

I'll continue to use my Fram filters purchased at Wal-Mart, on sale, the same filters that have protected at least 6 vehicles I've owned with
over 250K miles, one of which with 302K, all with regular oil and filter changes.

In the meantime, I'd like to direct your attention here:
https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/01/24/are-fram-oil-filters-any-good/

From the above:

"Think about it, if Fram oil filters were as disastrous as people made them out to be, class action lawyers would have a field day with how much money they could make through a class action lawsuit with so many ruined engines. But, Fram still makes oil filters and people are still buying them with no issue."

·
Registered
970 Posts
Again I'll ask, show me where Fram oil filters have been proven to be sub-standard or have been shown to have caused premature engine wear or death.

If people want to allow themselves to be swayed by internet smack-talking, sky-is-falling, wolf-crying, OMG my filter killed my motor mush mouths, so they can justify purchasing whatever else, or just pile on some anti-this or that bandwagon, so be it.

I'll continue to use my Fram filters purchased at Wal-Mart, on sale, the same filters that have protected at least 6 vehicles I've owned with
over 250K miles, one of which with 302K, all with regular oil and filter changes.

From the above:

"Think about it, if Fram oil filters were as disastrous as people made them out to be, class action lawyers would have a field day with how much money they could make through a class action lawsuit with so many ruined engines. But, Fram still makes oil filters and people are still buying them with no issue."
Hey bud it's your car you do what's best for you, no different when Infiniti sold the exhaust, I thought it was a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

From the above:

Personal experience. The ONLY filter I ever had leak on me was a Fram. Not just once but twice. ...screw me twice, shame on me. The only filter I would use is the OEM one, a Wix, AC Delco or Mobil One. It is an expensive car. Why would I care about saving a buck on something as important as an oil filter?

There are some in depth comparisons out there. And NOT from industry insiders.

https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I used to run Frams way back when I was young and driving cheap cars and never had any issues with them - of course back then if you made it to 100k it was somewhat of a miracle. I've seen too many dissections of oil filters on the internets, and even my non-engineer background can see the quality difference of the internal components used. I've gone back to using OEM filters for the past couple of decades - I think the last aftermarket filter I bought was for the '88 Cherokee and we got rid of that in 2001.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personal experience. The ONLY filter I ever had leak on me was a Fram. Not just once but twice. ...screw me twice, shame on me. The only filter I would use is the OEM one, a Wix, AC Delco or Mobil One. It is an expensive car. Why would I care about saving a buck on something as important as an oil filter?

Thanks for the sane reply.
I completely understand the personal experience aspect. I tend to stay away from products that have failed me as well.
My experience is different from yours.

The study you cited above is at least 16 years old based on the copyright date.
IF Fram's website is to be believed, their oil filters have undergone some major changes in recent years...for whatever that's worth.

I had intended this thread to be aimed at "new" owners of all the '14-'15's that are seemingly flooding into the used market recently.
Had I known it would immediately degenerate into an oil filter debate, I wouldn't have posted it. (Or just withheld my filter choice.)
I didn't realize, but suppose I should have guessed, that oil filter loyalty is right up there with oil brand.

Say....what kind of oil do you guys use?? :D ;) ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fram XG6607 is the Ultra Synthetic filter, not Extra Guard.
Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters are actually very good.
I use the Fram XG7317 (a bit longer than the XG6607) with 3-5k oil/filter change intervals.

Comparison of Fram oil filters:

Fram Ultra cut open after 7k miles:

There are many Fram Ultra reviews on bobistheoilguy.com forum as well.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I should have guessed, that oil filter loyalty is right up there with oil brand
You asked...I used to be brand loyal to Valvoline many, many years ago, but now I buy on price as long as it is a big-name synthetic product...Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil 1. However, I would not use Mobil 1 in our Subarus because of many reports of usage issues. I have yet to see anything brand related to the VR30...or our Ford. I believe frequent oil and filter change intervals, frequent checking of oil level, and proper API class and weight are more important than the specific brand of oil being used.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I should have guessed, that oil filter loyalty is right up there with oil brand
You asked...I used to be brand loyal to Valvoline many, many years ago, but now I buy on price as long as it is a big-name synthetic product...Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil 1. However, I would not use Mobil 1 in our Subarus because of many reports of usage issues. I have yet to see anything brand related to the VR30...or our Ford. I believe frequent oil and filter change intervals, frequent checking of oil level, and proper API class and weight are more important than the specific brand of oil being used.
Here in my neck of the woods, Nissan uses Mobil 1 Full synthetic 0-20.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Here in my neck of the woods, Nissan uses Mobil 1 Full synthetic 0-20.
Ditto, Mobil 1 is the brand they use up here as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fram XG6607 is the Ultra Synthetic filter, not Extra Guard.
Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters are actually very good.
I use the Fram XG7317 (a bit longer than the XG6607) with 3-5k oil/filter change intervals.
Vindication!
Thank you, good sir.
Also for the part number for the longer filter.

I corrected my error in my original post. I confirmed I did purchase the XG Ultra Synthetic filter.

And in case anyone is wondering:
More often than not, Mobil1 full synthetic.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Did my first DIY oil and filter change (on this car) along with two new air filters.

The air filters were likely the originals with 35K on them. Absolutely filthy, including the air boxes.

Took the 2 piece air boxes off and thoroughly hosed off/cleaned all the dirt and bug debris.
This was primarily on the air intake side of the filter housing, attached to the radiator support.
There was very little dirt that made it past the filter to the side with the hose attachment. There was some though.

Be VERY careful when cleaning out that side as the "hot-wire" airflow sensor resides there and they tend to be fragile.
I suppose one could carefully remove them and then clean the airbox.

As far as the oil and filter change, it was very straightforward.
I did refer to this before starting:
https://q50tech.blogspot.com/2013/10/diy-engine-oil-change-of-infiniti-q50.html
just to see if there were any potential "gotchas" in the process. Nope, easy-peasy.

Followed that how-to pretty closely, but deviated slightly in a couple spots.
I used a Fram XG (Ultra Synthetic) filter XG6607 instead of the Nissan filter as I'm not worried about warranty at this point.

The blog poster mentioned "panels left hanging down" from the quick-change oil places and sure enough, all 3 of the plastic push-pin retainers were missing from my splash panel, allowing it to sag down about 3 inches and no doubt flop at speed.
Had some miscellaneous ones laying around the garage of the correct diameter, pushed them in, no more sag.

My point with all of this is:
I'm a fairly experienced DIY wrench/gearhead, but no one that knows how to operate a ratchet wrench and properly lift and support a car should be afraid to tackle their own oil and filter change on these cars.
Save some money and have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right.

Nice job QFOE. I too changed my oil/filter for the first time (car bought used in late '18) a month or two ago. Pretty straight forward except for the stupid entire splash guard that needs to come completely down (hate that. My S4 is like that too). I first watched a few youtube vids just in case but it probably hurt me more than helped me because they all had those easy access holes and panels to get to the filter and plug. WTF? Where was my easy access?? Once I took the whole shield down, it was as easy as a regular oil change. No worries with your filter choice, you're fine. I think I chose Mobile 1 oil and filter for my Q50. But, heck, I'll even use a Wal-Mart Super Tech filter on my '03 TL and '05 Odyssey!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice job QFOE. I too changed my oil/filter for the first time (car bought used in late '18) a month or two ago. Pretty straight forward except for the stupid entire splash guard that needs to come completely down (hate that. My S4 is like that too). I first watched a few youtube vids just in case but it probably hurt me more than helped me because they all had those easy access holes and panels to get to the filter and plug. WTF? Where was my easy access?? Once I took the whole shield down, it was as easy as a regular oil change. No worries with your filter choice, you're fine. I think I chose Mobile 1 oil and filter for my Q50. But, heck, I'll even use a Wal-Mart Super Tech filter on my '03 TL and '05 Odyssey!
Thanks.
We DO have the access hatch (at least my '15 does) built into the plastic splash guard. I'm assuming it went away on newer 3.0T models?
Probably different positioning for the drain plug and filter versus the 3.7
Problem is, Infiniti made the access hatch too small and there is no way to drain your oil without getting a fair amount on the inside of the tray, so you end up taking the entire thing off anyway to avoid a mess.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
FWIW, I too did a comparison of oil filters years ago.

Subaru, Mobil1, Fram, Wix, Wix XP, K&N, Royal Purple.

The Wix XP was the only one with a coil spring rather than a leaf spring. And it had what looked like cotton gauze not paper like the others as a filter medium.

Since then, I have used Wix XP primarily. I did use the nissan filter for my Q50 initially, but now, it is just Wix XP.

I am also using the Wix air filters. They look "similar" to the Fram ones, but if you look closely, you can see there was a lot more quality control with the Wix air filters.

·
Registered
229 Posts

For anyone thinking an OEM filter is good....
https://www.nissanclub.com/threads/nissan-oem-factory-oil-filter-15208-65f0d-cut-open.284211/

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks.
We DO have the access hatch (at least my '15 does) built into the plastic splash guard. I'm assuming it went away on newer 3.0T models?
Probably different positioning for the drain plug and filter versus the 3.7
Problem is, Infiniti made the access hatch too small and there is no way to drain your oil without getting a fair amount on the inside of the tray, so you end up taking the entire thing off anyway to avoid a mess.
Not sure which years/trims/variants get the access panel and hole. I just know I do not have them. I wonder if it's an AWD thing??

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts