Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Q50 not have this function? I see where I can choose an interval and it will tell me when that's approaching but is there no "built in" message? Even my 2015 Honda Accord Sport tells me the engine oil consumption counting down from 100%. Heck even my 07 Acura does this.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
There is an option on the center screen between the tach and speedo to show a mileage countdown to next service. I don't think this $60k car is smart enough to use an algorithm to calculate the remaining life of the oil based on driving style, cold starts, ambient temps, etc, etc. I have no idea what happens when the car actually calls for an oil change as my first oil change was done at 1500 miles, and the next one in the spring of this year (less than 5000 miles after the first one). I plan on a 5000 mile OCI (or spring and fall), so I may never know.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I guess I'm confused. If your Accord is telling you engine oil consumption counting down from 100%, when it gets to 0% does that mean your Accord has consumed all the oil?

You can set your oil change interval in the Maintenance settings to however many miles you wish and it will alert you when the interval has been reached. If you want to constantly monitor the number of miles remaining before the oil change interval you set is reached then you use the trip computer switches on the steering wheel to change the Vehicle Information Display between the speedo and tach to the display that says "Engine Oil - Service due in xxx miles" and you can watch it count down the number of miles until the next oil change. I would think that would mean more than a percentage as far as planning when to change your oil again.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I too disliked his use of the word "consumption" but I think he was referring to using up the "life" of the oil, not the volume of the oil in the engine. I cut him some slack. But just in case he is also thinking this car might have a dash warning for low oil level (as some cars now do), it does not.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I too disliked his use of the word "consumption" but I think he was referring to using up the "life" of the oil, not the volume of the oil in the engine. I cut him some slack. But just in case he is also thinking this car might have a dash warning for low oil level (as some cars now do), it does not.
I realize that but I am a true curmudgeon and cut no slack. You good sir are a poser!

And yes, there's no low oil level warning for the VR30 engine but there is on the 2.0L turbo gas engine models of the Q50.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
It has a dipstick for "dipstick's" like me.😉

My bitch is no notification pops up on the dash when the interval is up you set in maintance AND you hit the notify button. 🙄 Seems useless to me. What's up with the stupid maintance required screen that's not linked to the intervals we set in maintance?
I thought that's where they would show up. Like rotation required, or filter due. Poor design. That is why I keep a log of everything I do, including fuel, in the glove box. Start miles, end miles, miles on tank, gallons, mpg, and notes.
Very handy! It's also a legal document. You can use it to validate the care of your car. A litigator would recognize your passion for care. Back it up with receipts. It's about all yiu can do other than have Infiniti do ALL your maintenance. Not convenient for me with a horrid 1.5 hr drive to the closest dealership.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It has a dipstick for "dipstick's" like me.😉

My bitch is no notification pops up on the dash when the interval is up you set in maintance AND you hit the notify button. 🙄 Seems useless to me. What's up with the stupid maintance required screen that's not linked to the intervals we set in maintance?
I thought that's where they would show up. Like rotation required, or filter due. Poor design. That is why I keep a log of everything I do, including fuel, in the glove box. Start miles, end miles, miles on tank, gallons, mpg, and notes.
Very handy! It's also a legal document. You can use it to validate the care of your car. A litigator would recognize your passion for care. Back it up with receipts. It's about all yiu can do other than have Infiniti do ALL your maintenance. Not convenient for me with a horrid 1.5 hr drive to the closest dealership.
Huh? I get a notification when my personally-set OCI is reached. Did you check the settings to see if it enabled?

Menu > Settings > Meter > Maintenance > Oil and Filter > Show Alerts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Huh? I get a notification when my personally-set OCI is reached. Did you check the settings to see if it enabled?

Screenshot taken.. I'll double check. I think I did everything correctly, obviously not. Thanks, I have yet to get an aleart. Just a red highlight in the menu IF I look.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Screenshot taken.. I'll double check. I think I did everything correctly, obviously not. Thanks, I have yet to get an aleart. Just a red highlight in the menu IF I look.
This has been my experience too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil life is what I meant of course, not consumption. I posted this very early lol.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
This has been my experience too.
Geez...now I have to go and verify this to make sure my Alzheimer's isn't clouding the issue.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Doing this goes in my car goes: Settings> Meter> Meter Settings (not maintance) I wish it was that simple!!

The path I need to go, to set the interval is: main menue right arrow to: App Garage> Maintenance Note> Maintenance >

Then it shows a pic of the car, and in the upper left: "Reminders".. in a red circle button the # of over due items. Press the red button and it will have a drop down menu of the items overdue.
If I press "all parts" I can select the items to set.
I have "Reminder" highlighted for oil, oil filter, and tire rotation. When the distance or date is reached all it does is add a number of items needing attention in the Reminder red "button"

Im confused. 🤬 @Avedis53 Help!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Doing this goes in my car goes: Settings> Meter> Meter Settings (not maintance) I wish it was that simple!!

The path I need to go, to set the interval is: main menue right arrow to: App Garage> Maintenance Note> Maintenance >

Then it shows a pic of the car, and in the upper left: "Reminders".. in a red circle button the # of over due items. Press the red button and it will have a drop down menu of the items overdue.
If I press "all parts" I can select the items to set.
I have "Reminder" highlighted for oil, oil filter, and tire rotation. When the distance or date is reached all it does is add a number of items needing attention in the Reminder red "button"

Im confused. 🤬 @Avedis53 Help!
I'm confused also. I'll have to look at it in depth.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have the best system of all! A sticker on the windshield with the mileage and date of my next oil change :) It's pretty consistent, temperature resistant, and unlimited power supply.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I have the best system of all! A sticker on the windshield with the mileage and date of my next oil change :) It's pretty consistent, temperature resistant, and unlimited power supply.
Luddite.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I keep a car mialage paper "log". It has everything in it. Fuel, all maintenance, dated, and notes.
When I sell my cars I staple the pages together and give them with the car. FYI it's considered a legal document, at least in NH. I also keep a file with all receipts and other car documents in it. That also goes with the car.

When i purchased my G37IPL it had some unopened mail in it. I tried to contact the previous oner (i got it at a Chevrolet dealer) but his phone# was disconnected and no forwarding address. 🙄🤔

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yup, I have the same system. Blackstone Labs supplies the sticker in each of their free UOA sampling kits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts