Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would putting 5w40 oil for tuning have any type of affect on the car I’m not to familiar with oils and how they work I just put in what the manual says lol but the people setting up the tuning suggested it saying it better in regards of not burning off and keeping the temps consistent

·
Registered
376 Posts
Who's tuning your car or what are you tuning for?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Someone a while back posted this reference page for VR30. Depends on the ambient temperature in your area. I am using 5W30 for mine here in the mid-west where the lowest it ever goes is -5 or so F on rare occassions.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Would putting 5w40 oil for tuning have any type of affect on the car I’m not to familiar with oils and how they work I just put in what the manual says lol but the people setting up the tuning suggested it saying it better in regards of not burning off and keeping the temps consistent
I wouldn't be running 5W40 unless you are planning some track time or live in somewhere exceptionally hot in the US, 5W30 is highly recommended by most of the community as a good all-round alternative oil.

The issue isn't for burning oil but more so for protection if temperatures get really high and to prevent oil dilution over the change interval of the engine.
Change your oil every 5-6K miles and use a good 5W30 oil and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50S Silver Sport
116 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The issue isn't for burning oil but more so for protection if temperatures get really high and to prevent oil dilution over the change interval of the engine. Change your oil every 5-6K miles and use a good 5W30 oil and you will be just fine.
Good advice. As I mentioned in other oil threads, direct injection engines are susceptible to fuel dilution of the oil, which will reduce the overall viscosity of the oil in crankcase overall time and mileage accumulation. Therefore, starting with a 5W30 is good compromise between 0W20 for fuel economy and 5W40 for turbo protection.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,811 Posts
Good advice. As I mentioned in other oil threads, direct injection engines are susceptible to fuel dilution of the oil, which will reduce the overall viscosity of the oil in crankcase overall time and mileage accumulation. Therefore, starting with a 5W30 is good compromise between 0W20 for fuel economy and 5W40 for turbo protection.
With a realistic OCI of say, 5000 miles, don't you think the viscosity is irrelevant as far as fuel dilution?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
With a realistic OCI of say, 5000 miles, don't you think the viscosity is irrelevant as far as fuel dilution?
I thought that too, and then I had an OCI with 2% fuel dilution occur in one of my samples:

Blackstone Labs comment:

This was the 1st oil sample where I ran 5W30 (Castrol Edge) vs the previous oil change was PP 0W20 and previous to that was FF 0W20. You can see the viscosity is lower than what a 5W30 should be, and is approaching the 0W20 viscosity values. My Q only accumulated 4500 miles in 10 months, because at that time, I was travelling quite a bit for work, so the car only saw about 500 miles/month. I also had the JB4 installed (no fuel wires or EWG at that time) in Spring '17, so maybe that had something to do with it - LOL. Regardless, that made me realize switching to 5W30 gave me some headroom in keeping viscosity in check throughout the OCI if fuel dilution continued to be a factor.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I have posted the pic a handful of times.

it is from an australian member who snapped a pic of the owners manual.

it had all oil grades liated based on temperature.

I will summarize it by saying a 15w50 is ok in our vr30TT at freezing.

0C for the Europeans and 32F for US.

That said, I run 5w30. It is slick enough amd gets to temp pretty quickly.

If I were running upgraded turbos, I would have a 10w40 or higher in there, allow time for the oil to warm up and I doubt a 5000 OCI would be enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great discussion on an old topic here.

What's in the break-in oil? What viscosity or is there no real standard?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What's in the break-in oil? What viscosity or is there no real standard?
The "break-in" oil or factory fill is 0W20, and contains a higher than average amount of Moly (look at my oil sample from 1,012 miles).

·
Registered
96 Posts
It has no negative effect of any kind.
In other markets these engines come as year around recommended for 5w-40.
As someone who has Forced induction Nissans for 20 years, 5w-40 is the minimum thickness I would run in a Turbo engine.
Desert Summertime or before track days its 15w-50.

Chevy seems to be only company open about the need for thicker oils.
Their SCed V8 is recommended as 15w-50 for track days and 5w-30 all other times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts