Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many of you pay attention to oil temps before making a pull? I am usually logging and make sure oil temps are 160F before going WOT. It just occurred to me that it takes significantly longer to get the oil temps to 160 than it does for the coolant to get up to temp. Who solely looks at coolant temps before going WOT and who actually monitors their oil temps? If you're not looking at oil temp....start doing it.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts
How long does it take for your oil temps to get to 160?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long does it take for your oil temps to get to 160?
Almost my entire drive home from work lol. Probably 15 min, maybe 20 min on a "cold day". Coolant is up to temp within 5 min. Im in FL so I'm likely a best case scenario for how quickly one could go WOT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine almost never gets to 160 ( at least this time of year), I imagine the sport model with the oil cooler makes a difference? I think the highest I’ve seen is 155 with having the oil cooler. I don’t do a pull unless I’ve been driving at least 30 min so I imagine the temps in the transmission and engine are pretty much peaked by then?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
AMS advised me to wait until oil temp was 160+ before going WOT when I was logging for them.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything I've read is that oil temps at 160 to 170 is a general minimum requirement before seeing high loads. I was just curious if people are actually checking oil temps or just looking at coolant because they are not closely tied unless you've been driving awhile.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
10,345 Posts
Almost my entire drive home from work lol. Probably 15 min, maybe 20 min on a "cold day". Coolant is up to temp within 5 min. Im in FL so I'm likely a best case scenario for how quickly one could go WOT.
Heh...mine probably rarely warms up enough then, given the temperatures around here.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow that's crazy. I had a feeling everyone was making pulls on cold oil. It's obviously not 160 is safe and 159 destroys the motor. Just something I realized today while logging and wondered if most were only watching coolant temps. Just something to be conscientious of I suppose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cringe everytime I read this, I owned the Q for a good long year, driving it hard a lot without knowing I should wait for oil temps. Wonder what sort of damage I did. Ever since I learned about this I baby the heck out my Q, and yeah oil temps take forever to get to high, now I usually just drive hard on the way back lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I track both Coolant and Oil temps on my dash-mounted phone, and won't get on it until the coolant hits 158, but rarely wait for oil. It's 20* outside, the oil won't even get to 158 unless I rev it out a few times first.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,792 Posts
I drive like a grandma until the H/C needle is at half way, give it a little longer for a buffer and then it's on.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Easy, just look at the # of people who haven't had any engine problem yet ;)

But on a serious note, it doesn't take long for us here down south.

On the B58 engine, I haven't logged anything yet but coolant takes 2-4 mins longer before reaching its optimum temp vs VR30. Oil temp would be interesting to see though. The VQ heats up quicker than the VR IIRC.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I go by a min oil temp threshold of 140 deg F.

My '08 Audi RS4 Cabriolet had a warning in the DIC "Do Not Exceed 7k RPM until Oil Temp exceeds 140 deg F". Note: The 4.2L V8 had a 8200 rpm redline!

Without any guidance on the VR30 oil temp threshold, I have opted to use the same temp threshold used by the Audi engineers for my VR30 engine. Fairly easy to verify oil temps using the JB4 or Ecutek App.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I started waiting for the 168 after I read that in something Terry from Burger said. I run it for a few minutes in my garage on a cold morning, then slowly go through the gears a few times until I get to the road I can open it up on. It takes 5 minutes of driving to get up to 168. Before I knew about this I always knew my car felt faster in the afternoon. Now I know why.

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
49 Posts
my car stays in park until oil temp is over 100 then I slink along until it feels like it’s ready to make some boost

1 - 20 of 103 Posts