Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I must be mis-remembering then, it's been some months since I had it
Just to clarify, JB4 "Trans Temp" is the heat exchanger/intercooler fluid temp, not the actual transmission fluid temp.
160 would be really hot for the HE coolant temps.

Reactions: serstylz2

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,881 Posts
Ok, so I took my 50 to work today. Used my JB4 to watch oil, coolant ("water"), and trans temps. 30 min commute. Mostly freeway. Did not 'get on it' at all, just conservative driving. Ambient temp was high 40s.

Oil temp painstakingly took the whole commute to slowly creep up and eventually end at high 150s. Coolant temp got up there pretty quickly and stayed there. Coolant temp was 190 when I parked my car. Trans temps never got higher than high 50s. Trans was 59^F when I parked.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok, so I took my 50 to work today. Used my JB4 to watch oil, coolant ("water"), and trans temps. 30 min commute. Mostly freeway. Did not 'get on it' at all, just conservative driving. Ambient temp was high 40s.

Oil temp painstakingly took the whole commute to slowly creep up and eventually end at high 150s. Coolant temp got up there pretty quickly and stayed there. Coolant temp was 190 when I parked my car. Trans temps never got higher than high 50s. Trans was 59^F when I parked.
Once you get oil to about 110-120F I would pop it into manual and cruise in 5th or maybe even 4th (Depending on traffic/speed). It does hurt MPG a little bit, but it will warm up your oil a lot faster. you should be good to go for some pulls in 10mins or less after startup that way. at about 140-150 ill do mini partial throttle baby pulls if I want to speed it up even faster.

Trans temp is HE coolant not transmission, it should be pretty much within 10ish F of ambient until you are beating on it then it will creep up. but conservative driving isn't making much boost to heat it up, also the cooler the better for this temp.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just to clarify, JB4 "Trans Temp" is the heat exchanger/intercooler fluid temp, not the actual transmission fluid temp.
160 would be really hot for the HE coolant temps.
Yeah....BMS was too lazy to do it right so they mislabeled trans temp and it's the charge air coolant temp.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah....BMS was too lazy to do it right so they mislabeled trans temp and it's the charge air coolant temp.
Interesting to know.

For temps, I'm seeing anywhere between 168F-180F for oil (I run 5w-30 all year here in Central FL) and 183F-190F for coolant depending on how hard I'm driving the car.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
877 Posts
I'll post my Ecutek gauges for comparison, I do recall my Trans Temp being for the CACT now, and I always hoped it to be within 15 degrees of ambient

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wait, the Kia Stinger's oil temperature stabalizes at 200 and it takes about 15min of normal driving to reach 200.

In fact I've noticed with the Stinger of using sports mode and driving agressively the oil actually runs cooler.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I now understand why 0w20 oil is recommended for the red sport as it has a stout cooling system.
It's actually for fuel mileage to help hit Cafe standards.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's actually for fuel mileage to help hit Cafe standards.
Either that or tighter tolerances create better fuel efficiency but also requires a thinner oil. And the fact most people never get their oil temp over 170s on their normal daily commute would amplify the need for a thinner oil. A thicker oil won’t be able to flow well through the tight spaces and properly lubricate everything especially if it’s not fully warmed up 200F+ , Even engines built for nascar use 0w-20 or sometimes thinner.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Trans temp and knock are my 2 PIDs I've wanted for a long time on the JB4. I always logged trans temp on my v8 stuff.
Are you able to log knock?

In the Subaru world, it is a no brainer. Not only knock but also knock learning and ignition timing multiplier...all available on Cobb accessport.

Why our platform is so far behind is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Are you able to log knock?

In the Subaru world, it is a no brainer. Not only knock but also knock learning and ignition timing multiplier...all available on Cobb accessport.

Why our platform is so far behind is beyond me.
Nope. JB4 STILL can't log knock or transmission temps. It's so annoying.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The weight varies of course on specific race, but many use a -20 or lighter.

“Today’s Cup engines run 5W-20 synthetic oil and make close to 900 horsepower.”

“Viscosity must be properly matched to the engine’s clearances and operating conditions to optimize performance.”

“wider bearing clearances require a higher viscosity oil to maintain the hydrodynamic oil wedge while tighter clearances will support thinner oil at the right pressure.”

“Whether you realize it or not, you build your engine around the oil so matching viscosity and clearances is critical,” says Speed.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
503 Posts
Interesting, although that's from 2013. March of this year showed 10w30.
Not 100% of them are all exact same. And that’s specifically sprint cup. But regardless they are V8s making 900whp+ that are clearenced and designed around whatever weight oil they are using and they are heavily abused and seeing much higher temps for much longer times compared to what people would be doing with a daily driven Q.

Unless you change engine tolerances there is no reason to use any other weight oil besides what is recommended/ designed to use. Unless you are seeing excessively high temps for extended period of times like on a track (which i doubt the majority of Qs especially Q50s are seeing) in which case oil cooler and hood vents would be better then a “band aid” fix of heavier oil.

Now I would be curious if the turbos themselves have a specific recommended weight it was designed around or if other applications use these exact turbos but with different weight oils?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If given a choice I would definitely rather run too thick of an oil than too thin. Once the hard parts physically touch it's game over. The other consideration is mileage. Clearances open as the engine ages. it'll be interesting to see how the VR lives at 100k miles and what people chose for oil.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,881 Posts
I think climate should be part of the decision as well.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
And what color the car is. 🤣 In real life very few actually change their mindset on oil weight or type used because of what someone else says. The fact that some here have swapped from 0w20 to 5w30 is practically a miracle in the car world lol.

41 - 60 of 168 Posts