Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
877 Posts
I swapped to 5w30, at the wrong time. Temps hitting freezing and my oil temp is staying considerably lower than before. Not hitting 160 after long drives in some instances.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I swapped to 5w30, at the wrong time. Temps hitting freezing and my oil temp is staying considerably lower than before. Not hitting 160 after long drives in some instances.
Nobody cares. We want to know if you got the drag pack on!!!
Kidding of course.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
877 Posts
Nobody cares. We want to know if you got the drag pack on!!!
Kidding of course.
I messaged both my drag pack buddies here in Charlotte... they aren't letting me be great!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I run 5W-30 year around here in Central Florida.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's actually for fuel mileage to help hit Cafe standards.
My point is that max average oil temps of approx. 160f on these red sport engines means that you can safely run light viscosity oils and reap benefits of extra power, efficiency and economy.
The concern is shearing oil which won't happen at these relatively low temperatures.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My point is that max average oil temps of approx. 160f on these red sport engines means that you can safely run light viscosity oils and reap benefits of extra power, efficiency and economy.
The concern is shearing oil which won't happen at these relatively low temperatures.
Any power gain from an 0w20 vs. a 5w30 is negligible. If you're making 400ftlbs and gained 10ftlbs thats 2.5% which nobody will notice. I would much rather have some additional cushion against hard parts touching.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Any power gain from an 0w20 vs. a 5w30 is negligible. If you're making 400ftlbs and gained 10ftlbs thats 2.5% which nobody will notice. I would much rather have some additional cushion against hard parts touching.
cushin' for the pushin'

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Here is an example of my coolant reading at temp while oil is barely 100.

·
Registered
503 Posts
41 degrees, raining, idled car till oil 80F, then 30sec drive to hwy, on hwy in manual holding 5th gear entire time avg 2,500rpm or about 65-70mph.

1st pic is the second coolant hit 181(skipped 180) oil only 116f - time stamp 2:18

2nd pick is the second oil hit 161(skipped 160)
time stamp 2:22

dont know the exact second so could technically be almost 5mins apart but I’ll call it 4.5mins between pics. Probably 1min idle and 2.5min drive before 1st pic. So 8mins total start to 160f oil.

5th will warm up oil a lot faster on the hwy though compared to 6th and especially 7th.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
That is sketch.
it is actual. not photoshopped, etc.

my oil temp gets up to 230 ish. but hovers between 190 and 220.

being a cold day it looks like that.

hot summer days are obviously different.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Here is an example of my coolant reading at temp while oil is barely 100.
It is worth keeping in mind that oil takes longer to heat up than the coolant, and that looks like an old Maxima or Altima going by the
dash texture and gauge cluster so they run colder simply by their nature.

Heck even going from the VQ35 to VQ37 I noticed a fair amount more heat being produced when I park the G37, that said 100F is very low
even for an older engine. Hope she hit at least 160F afterwards?

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
It is worth keeping in mind that oil takes longer to heat up than the coolant, and that looks like an old G35.

Heck even going from the VQ35 to VQ37 I noticed a fair amount more heat being produced when I park the G37, that said 100F is very low
even for an older engine. Hope she hit at least 160F afterwards?
FTFY.

She gets to 170 on a cold morning before I hit the freeway...10 minutes.

I always keep revs under 2500 until I see the coolant get warm. Then I drive at 3000 rpm until I get to freeway.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
FTFY.

She gets to 170 on a cold morning before I hit the freeway...10 minutes.

I always keep revs under 2500 until I see the coolant get warm. Then I drive at 3000 rpm until I get to freeway.
Ah good good, yeah I forgot the G35 interior was kind of meh. XD

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,881 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish i had chosen the Q50 RS over the Stinger :(

Kia/Hyundai are like Samsung - look very nice on the surface but the finesse & fine tuning/calibration is not there.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I wish i had chosen the Q50 RS over the Stinger :(

Kia/Hyundai are like Samsung - look very nice on the surface but the finesse & fine tuning/calibration is not there.
OH so you mean its like Apple ;) Samsung has way more tweaking than an Apple.

61 - 80 of 168 Posts