Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Q50 Red Sport and I am about to have my engine replaced again, for the 3rd time! The first was a cracked block at 19,000 km. The second was coolant leaking into the engine at 60,00km and the third is due to oil leaking into the turbos at 97,000 km. This will be the fourth engine in this car if you count the one from the factory.

I wish I understood why this keeps happening. The first block crack I understand, but the last three are all leaks if some kind. To me, that points to the quality of the builds. But I'd like some insight.

Should I sell the car? It will have a brand new engine and two new turbos. My warranty on the new engine will be 20,000 km. The Drive Train warranty ends at 110,000 km. I'm at 97,000 km.

I have done some Mods.
  1. Fast Intentions lower down pips and Cat-Back exhaust.
  2. Stillen Cold air intakes
  3. AMS Heat exchanger
  4. AMS 4 stage ECU Dyno Tune 94 octane
The AMS Dyno Tune made a huge difference. 465 WHP
Dyno.jpg
quarter.jpg

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm really surprised that with those mods, the dealership is ok with changing engine's, they gave me a bit of a hard time with just the lower down pipes, changing my turbos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally agree, my argument was that the changes I've made have only increased the air into the engine and couldn't be the reason for the mechanical issues leaks. I don't mention the ECU mods

·
Registered
997 Posts
the third is due to oil leaking into the turbos at 97,000 km.
Ok, the turbos have blown oil seals, but why does this warrant an engine replacement, too? Wouldn't this just get new turbos???

·
Registered
491 Posts
This must be a RWD RS? But after the 2nd replacement I would have lemon'd the vehicle

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
There are one or two people on the 2nd engine replacements but for the most part those people are pushing the platform
really, really hard. I can't say I've seen anyone yet with such constant issues as you.

Honestly while I love the VR30 sometimes you just get a lemon and your better off moving on, with warranty nearly gone
I'd only take the car if Infiniti was willing to cover the motor for 40K instead of the 20K and to put that in writing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
1) Why is the cracked block of all things understood? LOL and 2) Are you at high elevation? That trap speed for those mods is pretty bad.
They are from Canada ... I wonder if they are not letting the engine block warm up sufficiently before driving when it is cold out, especially before highway speeds. (Back in the day, I cracked the block in my first car one night/morning when I immediately got on an interstate after starting the car when the temperature was lower than -20 degrees Fahrenheit.)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
OP is on the 3rd motor because he beats on it.

If you drive it hard at factory power levels, something is going to give. It will not last 100,000+ miles.

If you want your car to last, don't push it all the time and put it back to stock. Else, live with the consequences.

Either decision is the correct one, but you may not complain about it.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
OP is on the 3rd motor because he beats on it.

If you drive it hard at factory power levels, something is going to give. It will not last 100,000+ miles.

If you want your car to last, don't push it all the time and put it back to stock. Else, live with the consequences.

Either decision is the correct one, but you may not complain about it.
Nissan has always produced quality V6 engines that you could beat the snot out of and still have them last over 200K miles in stock form,
I see no reason why the VR30 turbo wouldn't manage the same as long as you maintain the car correctly.

So while yes the OP may be tuned and there is some responsibility he needs to take, a cracked block is unheard of for this platform regardless of power level.
The only real issue that indicates it was abused is the 2nd engine replacement which sounds like a blown-head gasket.

As the OP has an aftermarket heat-exchanger and lives in Canada and excessive heat is the leading cause of a blown head-gasket I'd be looking
at improper install of either the motor by Infiniti or HX.

The 3rd issue is starting to look like a common problem with 2016-2018 models regardless if the car
is tuned or not, so I'd call it unrelated to this 3rd motor replacement he is dealing with.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
oof them double posts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2016 Q50 Red Sport and I am about to have my engine replaced again, for the 3rd time! The first was a cracked block at 19,000 km. The second was coolant leaking into the engine at 60,00km and the third is due to oil leaking into the turbos at 97,000 km. This will be the fourth engine in this car if you count the one from the factory.

I wish I understood why this keeps happening. The first block crack I understand, but the last three are all leaks if some kind. To me, that points to the quality of the builds. But I'd like some insight.

Should I sell the car? It will have a brand new engine and two new turbos. My warranty on the new engine will be 20,000 km. The Drive Train warranty ends at 110,000 km. I'm at 97,000 km.

I have done some Mods.
  1. Fast Intentions lower down pips and Cat-Back exhaust.
  2. Stillen Cold air intakes
  3. AMS Heat exchanger
  4. AMS 4 stage ECU Dyno Tune 94 octane
The AMS Dyno Tune made a huge difference. 465 WHP
View attachment 90215 View attachment 90216
Looking at your 1/4 mile slip looks like you let off early because your mph is off and with 7.763 at 94.30 you should have trapped around 11.8-9 at 120 plus. I think you had some bad luck with factory motor but I would also look into better letting things get up to temp and come down from temp with premium oil....

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Nissan has always produced quality V6 engines that you could beat the snot out of and still have them last over 200K miles in stock form,
I see no reason why the VR30 turbo wouldn't manage the same as long as you maintain the car correctly....
Cuz turbo?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I see no reason why the VR30 turbo wouldn't manage the same as long as you maintain the car correctly.

So while yes the OP may be tuned and there is some responsibility he needs to take, a cracked block is unheard of for this platform regardless of power level.
The only real issue that indicates it was abused is the 2nd engine replacement which sounds like a blown-head gasket.
I've seen few cases of leaking vr30 block (stock & tuned) and at least a member here had his engine blew a hole at > xxx mph. Again there's not a lot to speak of but sh*t happens sometimes lol

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Cuz turbo?
NA will definitely be more reliable overall but Turbos are rarely the main point of failure on modern engines,
even old motors like the RB26 and VG30 people were reporting 120K miles without too many problems and
turbo design has come a long way since then.

The 2016-2018 model years do give me pause due to the turbo oiling issues but that is more of a first generation design flaw and
all of them are occurring within warranty. The replacement part is shared with 2019+ MY cars resolves the oil issue
so assuming no other major issues pop up with this motor it's a bit it's premature to think the average car wouldn't make it to 100K miles.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I've seen few cases of leaking vr30 block (stock & tuned) and at least a member here had his engine blew a hole at > xxx mph. Again there's not a lot to speak of but sh*t happens sometimes lol
I've not heard of any leaking VR30 blocks myself but for that blown engine did that not belong to Max? If so then he just doesn't count... He brought that on himself.
I agree stuff does happen most of the 2016 models should be hitting 60-75K miles relatively soon.

If I had to put money down on what issue the VR30 may have next it would be Oil gumming up the intake valves and needing a walnut blasting.
Or at least that is what I'm suspecting based on the amounts people reported when emptying their catch-cans.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
NA will definitely be more reliable overall but Turbos are rarely the main point of failure on modern engines,
even old motors like the RB26 and VG30 people were reporting 120K miles without too many problems and
turbo design has come a long way since then.

The 2016-2018 model years do give me pause due to the turbo oiling issues but that is more of a first generation design flaw and
all of them are occurring within warranty. The replacement part is shared with 2019+ MY cars resolves the oil issue
so assuming no other major issues pop up with this motor it's a bit it's premature to think the average car wouldn't make it to 100K miles.
100K miles? That is barely broken in by today's standards. My wife's boss had an'03 Acura TL that went 335K miles. In that time other than routine maintenance it needed new driveshafts and an alternator. Pretty good record. My nephew is still driving my old G8 GT approaching 200K and still going strong.

The turbo alone is not necessarily going to shorten the life of a well designed engine. It is because of the potential to push the engine well beyond its design limit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts