Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make this post now that I have some time. I bought my Infiniti Q50 Sport Black Obsidian/Graphite int. with Tech./Deluxe/Navigation/spare tire packages on Spet. 26th. And I'm in love.

What this car can do is nothing short of amazing. A glimpse into the future of what all cars will be doing- I can only imagine what these cars will do in 10-15 years from now.

Let me start by saying I have never owned a luxury car- my last 2 cars were a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have always loved the Infiniti design since the G35 came out in 2003- always a bit avant garde with their design- but I couldn't afford one until now. I was between a MB C 350, a Cadillac ATS, and the Infinity G37- until I saw images online of the Q50 at the beginning of 2013. I thought it was the sexiest car I have ever seen and she's even sexier in person. I waited for it to come out- thru the delays past July and into August, and then had to wait for them to find one with all the packages I wanted. I drove it off the lot without ever having test driven it.

I cannot compare it to the Lexus IS, the Mercedes C, the Cadillac ATS or any of it's other competitors- except the BMW 3 - my brother has one and I drove it a few times. The other I have not driven. I was apprehensive to buy one because it's not getting the most positive of reviews in the car magazines. I believe I have read them all.

BUT LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. Infiniti is ahead of it's time. The car reviews are whining about nothing. They made me a bit nervous to buy one for no reason and I couldn't be happier.

All of the safey feature the the reviewers constantly complain about can ALL BE TURNED OFF by the flick of a button on your steering wheel by your thumb. It's that easy. You don't want the active lane control?- you touch a button next to your thumb. I SAID IT'S NEXT TO YOUR THUMB! You don't want it to stay in it's lane and steer for you? You don't want it to but the brakes on if you get too close to the car in front of you? YOU TOUCH THE BUTTON NEXT TO YOUR LEFT THUMB! And it's off. As a matter of fact- the car actually starts with all the safety features turned off- you turn them on with the same button next to your thumb when you start the car if you desire. So most of the reviews I've read are bit disingenuous as the authors themselves had to turn the systems on to complain about them in the first place. BTW- they used their thumb to turn them on! There are some adjustments that can be further made to the safety systems on the touchscreen as well. And you don't have to get that particular safety package either!

And I wholeheartedly disagree with most of the reviews that it makes driving boring. It actually makes driving fun. The car starts in the Standard engine mode- great! lots of acceleration and horsepower for spirited driving. If I'm driving to work and it's a leisurely ride on a one lane road- I put it in eco mode and save some gas. When I'm getting onto the highway- I put it into sport mode and allow it to unleash all it's power as I accelerate on the entrance ramp to merge into my lane. If I'm running late and trying to make up for lost time- I keep it in Sport mode. Of course, driving a "bit" over the speed limit and weaving seamlessly in and out of traffic- you probably want to turn off some of the active safety feature so they don't impede your driving (and you can easily do this with your thumb again) otherwise it's a bit annoying. But as soon as you slow down or decide not to drive like a bat out of ****- you can turn them on again (yes- with your thumb). There is even a Personal Mode- you can decide how you want to engine to respond (sport, eco, or standard) and then how the steering wheel will react and how much effort you want to use to steer it! And maybe it's just a new toy- but I am constantly changing the mode of the engine and the safety features depending on how I'm driving- and I find that these myriad of options make driving incredibly entertaining. Not to mention the G-Force generation screen- the screen that shows you how many G's your making and in what direction. That's fun too! And there is a snow mode as well- haven't had to use that yet, though.

Now to the part where the car drives by itself- if you're in stop and go traffic- you could read a book while the car drives! You never have to touch the break or the gas pedal, and the car stays in the lane (unless you come to a stop for more than a few seconds- the safety system will release the brake and you must take over). It detects and keeps a safe distance between you and the next car- when the car in front moves, it begins to accelerate again. I was caught in stop and go traffic for the first time 2 weeks ago- and I didn't have to touch the brake or the gas. No DRIVER FATIGUE for me! I was playing with the radio and navigation and maybe even texting someone - the stuff WE ALL DO and shouldn't- but my car will stop not allow me to hit the car in front of me! And they criticize this????

On my way home from work on the highway for most of the drive my car can stay in it's lane- steer itself thru gentle curves and if you put it in cruise control it will automatically keep a safe distance between me and the car in front on me. And there are three distance settings for this as well! so like your might have seen in some of the videos- yes- you can essentially be a passenger and take your hand off the wheel. And it's really neat and very entertaining and it's the only car that can do it right now. You could argue it's just an expensive gadget- so be it. But it has it's place: I can see me driving home from my parents house 3 hrs away with the wife and kids in the car- on the highway, it's at night, just had a huge carbohydrate loaded meal and not all the coffee in Columbia will keep me from feeling sleepy? What?- these reviewers have never been tired behind the wheel? Have YOU ever been tire behind the wheel? And how many of us actually stop when we are nearly falling asleep? No we don't. We're human and we decide we need to make good time so we keep driving. Then guess what? I prefer my car to be the one that will keep my lane, steer itself, and keep a safe distance from the car in front of me, thank you very much. But this is where we are really getting a taste future technology with the ability of the cars to drive themselves. What the Q50 does in 2013 will be child's play in 2023. I have read the competition- in particular BMW- will soon be introducing cars that can do the same in the next year or two. Will they bash their precious BMW then the way they slight Infiniti? I doubt it!

But again- you can turn all these features on and off at whim. And to me- that makes driving entertaining!

The acceleration is fast and the car is responsive. The dual screens make an attractive center stack. The high beam headlights will turn and off automatically when it senses an oncoming car in front of you so don't blind them. It seamlessly connects to my iphone to access my phone book and my music- AND DISPLAYS the album covers on the screen! The car has a very classy convenience/welcome light on the door handle. You want to unlock the door when it's locked?- you lightly touch the door handle and she senses you. (like those lamps in the 80's or 90's that would turn on and off by just touching the pole). When you sit down- the car seems to wrap around you with it's welcoming interior- fine leather and wood panel accents throughout- the design feels like a cockpit- and everything laid out intuitively with buttons and touch screens less than an arms length. Turn the car on and the icon rolls itself down on the dashboard, the adaptive headlights do a pre-game dance and your seat slides you into position- your Q50 is ready for business.

Back up and you get a 360 view from all of your safety cameras- you can watch the objects in the cameras pass from rear to side to front views as you pass them. If your too close to something- you can even change the angle of view on the monitor to get a closer look at it! What other car does that?

Oh yeah- your car will read your text messages to you over the radio if you get any while your driving. How's that for safe? It's equipped so you can speak back and the voice recognition will put it into text and send it back- but that particular feature doesn't work with the iPhone yet.

Again- I did by this car mostly because of it's looks. I think it's the sexiest car on the road- It's just beautiful - I get weak in the knees when I see her. Sometimes I'll just stare at it in my garage for a few moments before I leave it over night. Sometimes when I park it I'll walk around it and just look at it from different angles. It's a very attractive car and that's the main reason I bought it- but I know that is a personal preference. Perhaps you like the look of the Lexus of the Caddy better. But for me- it was love at first sight and I'm glad I waited for her!

The car handles great, accelerates fast, will throw you into the back of your seat if you gun it, and the engine has a nice growl to it- much tamer than the G37 yet just as fast. I only know what the G37 drives like because they gave me a loaner today while dealer gives me a 1000 mile check up and updates my software. (and the G37 compared to the Q50 is night and day. They had to name this car something different!) But yes, my brother has a BMW 3 series 2010 and I will say it handles better. I now understand what they mean by feeling connected to the road: with his- you feel it. With mine you don't get the same level of "connectedness". With the Beamer, for example- if you take a sharp curve you feel the car can do it without a problem. With mine- it can take the same curve just as easily- but it never conveys the sense it can do it- you just have to trust it can. And I think that's what they mean when they talk about the BMW's being more connected to the road. And that is the only "flaw" with the car. But the BMW interior looks like ****, the exterior design is nothing to write home about, and the Q50 is sexy and gorgeous, has two headlights that look like angry staring human eyes, can drive itself, and has 2 touch computer screens inside.

I love this car. It think I'm an Infiniti man for life!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The interior and exterior styling is pretty much why most people choose the Q50. Also, to me it's the best bang for the bucks.

As for the update, do you know if you are getting the 10/24 update? You better check because 2 people already report had issues with it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I can only begin to imagine the lawsuits when there is a sensor/software malfunction, followed by an allision, collision, injury or a fatality. Additionally, it has already been shown that these car computer systems can be hacked, and completely taken over.

It's great that they can be turned off. However, I also recall the first time the console screens froze and I couldn't even turn off the radio. Yes, I did not order that so-called "safety" package.

With all the driving that will be done for us, we will have the opportunity to be rolling couch potatoes. The windshield could be turned into an HD screen and we could watch a movie of a freely rolling highway, while we sit behind an accident caused by an inattentive driver whose computer malfunctioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooops. In my comments dripping with sarcasm mixed with the adult alcoholic beverage I was drinking and the late hour I made a mistake. - it's the RIGHT thumb that controls the safety features.

And KLamama- it's not just that the safety features can be turned off - the car starts with them OFF. You are correct- there could be lawsuits but is it any different than someone claiming their seat belt, antilock breaks, lane departure warning, or airbags malfunctioned?? This is America- sadly the world's capital of lawsuits.

Since I've had the car the computers screens froze twice. But the fix was easy- I read on the forums how to do it- push the volume knob and hold it. I'm hoping the new software update fixes it.

No- I don't know which update I'm getting...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Two very different views on the technology. Back in the day when tractor feed dot matrix printers were in use (before affordable laser printers) I learned that there were two schools of thought on computer capability: If you were not that familiar with computers you thought that if the papers had holes in the side the info had to be right. If you worked with computers all the time your philosophy was the opposite. If the paper has holes on the side, make sure you double check the info on it. Earlier this week I looked at a spread sheet a twenty something handed me and knew right away that there was an error on it because it just didn't make sense to me. Nothing has changed except the paper.

Don't get me wrong, I love working with computers and am currently implementing a fairly high tech system at work that I am confident will significantly increase our efficiency. BUT, there is no substitute for a human overseeing the end result. I view the safety systems as a back up for the times when humans fail to react in time. With all my experience working with computers I would never be able to let them totally take over for me as a driver. We humans are simply not good enough at programming them to rely on them 100%.

One thing that computers cannot do is create a car as beautiful as the Q50. We argue a lot about the different aspects of the car on this forum but one thing we all seem to agree on is how great looking this car is.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Excellent read. For the record I feel exactly the same way about the car

·
Registered
26 Posts
I pretty much concur with this as my experience as well. Not sure if I would read a book while the Q50 drives, but it's uncanny how well it drives itself on highways.

Also, I guess I'm the oddball, as I actually bought the car because of the technology and the looks are just a side benefit. I guess I've always been a tech-guy. My first choice was the Tesla model S. But due to lack of dealers in my area and lack of charging stations etc., I felt Tesla isn't quite there yet. But very glad I chose the Q50 now.

Google already has been testing real self driving cars for some time now. Like it or not, it's coming. Being a tech guy, my personal believe is that once this technology is fully matured, the roads will be safer. But, hey, I could be wrong.

Q50S-H tech, nav

·
Registered
59 Posts
I fell in love with the G37 when I rented one in Orlando a year ago. When I came home I started researching Infiniti and learned about the Q. Being in the tech industry, I immediately knew I had to get the Q because of the tech.

I agree with Roger, and think that once this technology is fine tuned and becomes the standard, the roads will be much safer. Today I know my Q50 makes it very difficult for me to hit someone, but it's the other non-Q50 drivers that I worry about running in to me!

·
Registered
119 Posts
This was a fantasticr read. I feel the exact same way about this car even tho I dont have one yet. I'm picking mine tomorrow morning. I did have one for 2 day test drive. Even tho the in touch froze on me 3 times in 24hrs, I think its still worth buying.

I'm getting the premium hybrid with deluxe package. This night has been the longest yet.

Reactions: SimpsonTide985
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.