Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that those who are used to touch screens already knew this, but for me, this is one of the negatives of not having hard buttons to operate things:

I wanted to activate the heated steering wheel this morning, as Mother Nature thinks this is January and not November. I found out that the touch screen will not respond when I'm wearing gloves. Obviously, it is sensitive to body heat, and not pressure. This is not really important, but I just wanted to vent(again) about how technology is NOT making life easier. :(:D

At least, the seat is on auto, and has a hard button, just in case.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The bottom touch screen is a capacitive one. You can get gloves that work with these screens. They are sold everywhere from cheap low end stores to high end stores.

Reactions: Infinitard

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom touch screen is a capacitive one. You can get gloves that work with these screens. They are sold everywhere from cheap low end stores to high end stores.
I repeat........................:mad: And add, it makes things more expensive. I can just imagine the laughs SNL would have gotten 25 years ago, if they did a skit where the driver of a car had to buy certain dedicated gloves to operate a car. And so it goes............

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm sure that those who are used to touch screens already knew this, but for me, this is one of the negatives of not having hard buttons to operate things:

I wanted to activate the heated steering wheel this morning, as Mother Nature thinks this is January and not November. I found out that the touch screen will not respond when I'm wearing gloves. Obviously, it is sensitive to body heat, and not pressure. This is not really important, but I just wanted to vent(again) about how technology is NOT making life easier. :(:D

I didn't experinced with that issue when I clean my screen with microfiber cloth. I was still able to press and function.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The screen is actually activated because of the moisture in your skin, not your body heat. The special gloves have metal woven into the finger tips to conduct the current.

Anyways, I see your point about the touch screen putting this minor obstacle in your life. It is a very easy fix though, and the gloves are useful for if you have a touch screen smart phone too. You can either get the gloves with the special finger tips, or you can get gloves where you can uncover your fingers.

Do you really need gloves on when turning on the heated steering wheel anyway? Your hands should heat up in mere moments.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Or you could have set the Heated Steering Wheel to Auto as I did. And guess what....when I put my hands on the wheel this morning it was warm.:p

Reactions: Infinitard

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you really need gloves on when turning on the heated steering wheel anyway? Your hands should heat up in mere moments

As I said, it's a minor annoyance. The gloves are on when I leave the house(or when I leave the store, etc.) It just would be nice not to have to take them off. Luckily, I don't live where it will be below zero(at least, I hope not:eek:) - then I would really be annoyed. Anyway, this week, Mother Nature is definitely confused. There's a good chance of a rain/snow mix here the next couple of days, and it's not even December yet - Sheeesh.

·
Registered
444 Posts
use the "blood button" and have 'Infiniti connect' personnel turn it on remotely until they fix it.

That would be kind of funny.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Something like the below will resolve that, especially in the touchscreen era.

Amazon.com: Isotoner Men's Smartouch Glove with Gathered Wrist Fleece, Black, Large: Clothing

·
Registered
302 Posts
The car has a heated steering wheel? How do I turn that on (not that I ever will in South Florida).
You aren't missing much. I'm disappointed with the implementation. There are hot and cold spots on the steering wheel. I had a better experience - both in temperature and consistency - in a BMW X5 I used to have.

The warmest spots on the steering wheel are not in the places commonly used. The warmest is at 4 and 8 on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the same note, I can't pick my nose when I'm wearing gloves, I think I need a nose job.
ah, i solved that a long time ago. I cut off the index finger of my favorite nose picking hand and install a zipper for the finger tip ;)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Well, someone gave me a pair of the "touch-sensitive" gloves today, but I don't know whether I'll use them - my heated steering wheel is now on automatic.;) I have gloves that are more comfortable(and warmer). And I can feel the warmth through the gloves. Another reason for getting the AWD.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.