Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Chrome or Chrome Delete?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50 Luxe | Obsidian Black
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see people opinions about the Chrome on our cars. My car is chrome deleted, but I have been thinking to revert it back. I don't know, I love them both.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,664 Posts
Cars that are all the same color remind me of cheap toys from my youth that were made of a single piece of molded plastic. Same with black wheels - molded as one with the tires on the cheap toys. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Chrome and amber have no place on a nice car, in my humble personal opinion. But I hear what Pb is saying. Not a fan of black on black on black on black. All my chrome is "deleted" but I did it with a combo of gloss black, body color, and OEM grille gunmetal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cars that are all the same color remind me of cheap toys from my youth that were made of a single piece of molded plastic. Same with black wheels - molded as one with the tires on the cheap toys. Just my opinion.
I feel you, I think it's a bit too much black now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chrome and amber have no place on a nice car, in my humble personal opinion. But I hear what Pb is saying. Not a fan of black on black on black on black. All my chrome is "deleted" but I did it with a combo of gloss black, body color, and OEM grille gunmetal.
Maybe black wheels are a bit too much like you said. I think some contrast would be nicer.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Maybe black wheels are a bit too much like you said. I think some contrast would be nicer.
Your wheels are nice. But, yeah, I'm personally not into black wheels. I think gunmetal wheels look great on any color car. My wife calls black wheels "junkyard wheels". 🤣 I think she's imagining old steelies with missing hubcaps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your wheels are nice. But, yeah, I'm personally not into black wheels. I think gunmetal wheels look great on any color car. My wife calls black wheels "junkyard wheels". 🤣 I think she's imagining old steelies with missing hubcaps.
Man, I'm really digging the 19" Q60 20 spokes wheels. I think imma remove the black vinyl this weekend and go with 19" q60 wheels in the near future!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Man, I'm really digging the 19" Q60 20 spokes wheels. I think imma remove the black vinyl this weekend and go with 19" q60 wheels in the near future!
You do what you like. Black paint is a tough one. Personally, I don't care for chrome but when you cover the chrome with black wrap, tint the windows, etc., that is a lot of black. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just removed the vinyl on Chrome Trims 5 minutes ago.

You're right, since I have Obsidian Black, I probably overkilled with the color. I did liked the all black look it had, especially at night when the DRL is on. But now with some chrome contrast, I think it stands out a bit more.

Chrome delete on white / red / blue Q50 looks amazing though.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
I just removed the vinyl on Chrome Trims 5 minutes ago.

You're right, since I have Obsidian Black, I probably overkilled with the color. I did liked the all black look it had, especially at night when the DRL is on. But now with some chrome contrast, I think it stands out a bit more.

Chrome delete on white / red / blue Q50 looks amazing though.
Pics?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can I see your combination?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don’t like chrome at all on any vehicle. My personal preference. But all black is too much. Gun metal on black with gun metal wheels would look good. Or, if you’re gonna keep the black wheels, do a red pin stripe around the wheels and wrap the chrome in red too. Would have to be a dark red though, and maybe flat instead of gloss. That would be sick looking!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Can I see your combination?
I have not taken good pics in so long, this is the best I can do, sorry.

This was a photo shoot I did for the manufacturer of my wheels, Titan-7. They paid me a few hundred for 20 minutes with my car (1 hour drive each way). They did good work but it still kills me why they chose such a late time in the day. My iridium looks dead in the shadows.

• Wow
Reactions: Anthony_Jackson787

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not taken good pics in so long, this is the best I can do, sorry.

This was a photo shoot I did for the manufacturer of my wheels, Titan-7. They paid me a few hundred for 20 minutes with my car (1 hour drive each way). They did good work but it still kills me why they chose such a late time in the day. My iridium looks dead in the shadows.

Jeez that's sexy. What wrap did you use for the front grille chrome? Also did you even wrap the window trim or is that just stock chrome?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Jeez that's sexy. What wrap did you use for the front grille chrome? Also did you even wrap the window trim or is that just stock chrome?
Thanks. No wrap anywhere, it's all paint. At the time of that shoot, my front grille surround was body color paint. It later started chipping so I recently put on a gloss black overlay. The window chrome is painted the same gunmetal color as the diamonds in the OEM front grille.

·
Registered
Iridium Blue 2018 Q50 Sport w/ CMST Black type S bumper MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, AMS Lower Down Pipes
40 Posts
id black out all the chrome, but keep the front emblem chrome and on the back id black out the long infiniti piece but keep the letters chrome.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I believe the side upper 'window' trim is actually polished stainless, as well as the lower runners' trim...so it'd be interesting to see it in a matte, brushed look. Unfortunately, can't do that so easily with the plastic chrome-plated trim pieces (grill surround, trunk bits, etc.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
id black out all the chrome, but keep the front emblem chrome and on the back id black out the long infiniti piece but keep the letters chrome.
I have the back trunk trim piece blacked out with plati dip. But I'm too afraid attempting to remove the "Infiniti" letter pieces.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts