Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read about this stuff the more it seems to make sense.

In a nutshell it does a few things

• Provides a layer of protection between the elements and the actual clearcoat (like wax)
  • UV protection
  • Scratch and swirl resistance (not invincible)
  • Easier to keep the car clean because of hydrophobic characteristics
It is a mostly permanent coating and is sold through a syringe. Polishing is recommended before application since the coating is permanent so any scratch or swirl on the car will get sealed in if you do not remove it.

Anyone planning to get this for the Q50? It seems like the service runs anywhere from $300-$600 depending on the markup of labor. Seems like a better value over those dealership paint protection packages.

Opti-Coat (Opti-Guard) is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces.

Opti-Coat is not a wax or sealant like other products on the market. It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of Opti-Coat measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, or about 100 times thicker than your typical wax or sealant. Unlike paint protection sealants such as PTFE, Nano Sealants, GlassPlexin that degrade over time and are easily removed through washing with water or chemicals, Opti-Coat does not degrade and cannot be removed by chemicals such as heavy duty truck wash or even caustic degreasers. It is totally resistant to these chemicals and produces a permanent film that is chemically bonded with the factory paint layers. Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat. It is far more resistant to chemical etching than factory clear coats and far more resistant than competing paint protection sealants. The 2 micron layer also provides a thick buffer between any damage and the factory paintwork.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I am strongly considering it. If it helps keep the car cleaner and makes it easier to clean, I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing this! Something else to consider other than master formula!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Seems like a better value over those dealership paint protection packages.
Almost anything is a better value than the paint protection packages offered by dealerships. :D This stuff looks like a great product, but $300-$600!:eek: Well, I've got my Master Formula ready to go.:)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Anybody try 3M's Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film

Scotchgard

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the scotchgard / clearbra/ ventureshield is a type of plastic vinyl that goes over the car and is removable. the opti-coat is a synthetic sealant that is applied to the paint, glass, plastic, and metal to prevent contaminants from bonding to it and causing damage down the road.

clearbra does a great job at preventing scratches and rock chips but is usually not as visually appealing due to the films texture and the potential to age and change color.

This is what I've gotten from my research.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just ordered some to apply to the front of the car. I took my Q50 on its maiden voyage road trip last week, and the bugs were a pain in the ass to remove without risking scratches to the black finish. The bugs are gone, but it was tedious work. I'm going to apply the Opti-Coat to the entire front bumper, which hopefully will make bug removal easier and without the worry of damaging the paint.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Has anybody looked into what a detailer/detail shop charges to put on the Opti-Coat Pro (Opti-Coat 2.0 is consumer strength, Opti-Coat Pro is stronger and sold only to professional detailers) to an entire Q50?

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
the scotchgard / clearbra/ ventureshield is a type of plastic vinyl that goes over the car and is removable. the opti-coat is a synthetic sealant that is applied to the paint, glass, plastic, and metal to prevent contaminants from bonding to it and causing damage down the road.

clearbra does a great job at preventing scratches and rock chips but is usually not as visually appealing due to the films texture and the potential to age and change color.

This is what I've gotten from my research.
Also, a huge drawback to the clearbra is removing it when it gets crusty or old. I saw a dude at the dealership tint shop ripping one apart half an inch at a time, it just kept tearing and tearing. That's like the 6th ring of ****. The car was a little older so the bra probably overstayed its welcome anyway.

I'd go for this Opticoat stuff if I was buying...but I'm leasing, so a clearbra makes more sense. If I was serious about it I would have had them throw it in to seal the deal when I signed the paperwork. There are pluses and minuses to everything, good to see different products out there for different needs.

I just ordered some to apply to the front of the car. I took my Q50 on its maiden voyage road trip last week, and the bugs were a pain in the ass to remove without risking scratches to the black finish. The bugs are gone, but it was tedious work. I'm going to apply the Opti-Coat to the entire front bumper, which hopefully will make bug removal easier and without the worry of damaging the paint.
Yeah, bugs are a nightmare. I've found soaking, letting it sit, then soaking again is the safest way to get them off. Sometimes you can soak a towel and drape it across a large area to keep the water on the bug guts. Challenge is to get them off quickly, their little chemical factories are full of corrosive materials.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I apply optiguard to a customers car, it really depends on the condition of the car. Typical new car applications would be $125 to polish, and an additional $150 for application. Many people are charging MUCH MUCH more for that, but I do not feel it is necessary. They are going to use $30 worth of product at most on your vehicle and the application time will take less than an hour (not including the previously mentioned polishing). Personally, i would not pay more than $150 to apply the product plus whatever polishing is needed beforehand.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
No matter what protection is on the car, it still has to be washed. How is this stuff resistant to ordinary car washing methods and products? Does one have to coat/wax this product to protect it from the elements?

There are some who already say that beading water is not best. It's better if it sheets off the car. In the sun, the beads act like lenses, and deposit water borne minerals onto the surface.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can wax ontop of any sealant. It just wont last as long. Wax doesnt exactly bond well to sealants. it bonds to paint.

At least in terms of opticoat its a pretty durable coating. Opti-Coat has pretty good sheeting characteristics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody looked into what a detailer/detail shop charges to put on the Opti-Coat Pro (Opti-Coat 2.0 is consumer strength, Opti-Coat Pro is stronger and sold only to professional detailers) to an entire Q50?
Concours Auto Salon here in San Antonio does an amazing job when it comes to detailing and any information about details. They have done so good with my previous vehicles. I am sure they do Opti-Coat Pro

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will be doing a full opti-guard on my car when I pick it up. There is no need to wax your car once the opti-guard is applied. Wax will not adhere to the opti-guard coating. A simple wash will bring the car back to a "just waxed" luster.

FYI Opti-coat is the consumer version that is a DIY
Opti-guard the "professional application version

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought Opti-Guard is what is listed on the bottle for their leather coating. I think their professional version of OptiCoat is still called OptiCoat. The consumer version is called OptiCoat 2.0

THey both work but the pro version lasts longer and cost more.

You can wax ontop of Opti Coat. It just doesn't last very long. Post up some photos when you get it coated!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm about to get my Q50 "opti coated" next Monday. Will post before, during, and after pictures.

Cost is about $400 and includes paint restoration and removal of all current surface materials, alcohol wipe down, and opti-coat application.

-a

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got my opti-coat pro a couple days ago down here in San Diego. It looks AMAZING, just about all of my dealer swirl marks are gone and the car looks better than the day I bought it. Despite what people say, Opti-coat is plenty glossy and "wet" looking.. I'm happy with it, as long as its durable and lasts a few years. Shoot me a PM if you interested in talking to the place where I got it done at.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I'm about to get my Q50 "opti coated" next Monday. Will post before, during, and after pictures.

Cost is about $400 and includes paint restoration and removal of all current surface materials, alcohol wipe down, and opti-coat application.

-a
dang $400? I spent $700 :crying:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.