Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something odd/interesting on the infinitiusa Q50 Build Your Own site. If you click on Specs & Pricing, then look under handling, it says that all Q50 3.7's come standard with dual flow path shock absorbers. But under that, on a separate line, the next choice includes "Double piston shock absorbers provide high damping force at low frequency vibrations (flat ride) and low damping force at high frequency vibrations (smooth ride)" and shows them as optional on Premium and Sport models.

This is different from the "Sport-tuned suspension" which is on a separate line and standard only on the Sport, as expected.

Does anyone have further info on this? If they're optional, I haven't seen them listed, so are they part of the Touring or Tech Package?

If anyone has driven these two variations and can comment on the difference I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
This comes standard on q50 sport, q50 hybrid, and q50 sport hybrid. Double piston shock absorbers provide high damping force at low frequency vibrations (flat ride) and low damping force at high frequency vibrations (smooth ride)...both from and rear will have this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the standard dual flow path shock is a Hitachi product that Nissan has been using since 2004:

http://www.hitachi.com/rev/field/sp...afieldfile/2010/06/25/r2006_technology_id.pdf Page 18

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/PDF/TECHNOLOGY/TECHNICAL/fuga_en.pdf

The dual piston I believe is the Koni FSD. If it isn't the Koni model, it is something pretty close.

Rear-seat comfort concept | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES

KONI: FSD front and rear dampers the latest damping technology

KONI: FSD damper kit and how it works

KONI: vibration damping and driving comfort

The Koni FSD is also the Mercedes Agility Control shock.

I agree with cfrp that monotube shocks are better. However, getting the right monotube isn't always easy for a street car. Bilstein is the original and premier manufacturer. They generally only have shocks for RWD models and then miss many cars. For example, on the BMW 5-series, only for RWD models.

Monotubes have more piston area giving finer control. They started as linear models, which still provided less harsh high speed shock piston interaction. Digressive models have even less speed at high shock piston speeds are are pretty common on race cars todays. Except for some very high end exotic shocks, virtually all shocks used in racing are monotube.

Further complicating things is that aftermarket shocks are often design for the car to be lowered, even if they are height adjustable. Many are designed for competition with upper pillow blocks that can increase harshness and noise.

Net: If you think you may want an aftermarket shock upgrade, you probably want a RWD Q50.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Has anyone tried using the Sport Shocks on the Premium Q50?

·
Registered
430 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.