Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This post is intended to help other hybrid owners when their hybrid Lithium Ion batteries start to degrade. This applies to US owners.
At this writing, my Q50 is at 110,000 miles. I am the only owner. Purchased in Oct 2013.

A few months ago, my Q50 threw a P30EF code, meaning P30EF INTERNAL RESISTANCE (When the Li-ion battery internal resistance becomes high.) This indicated a failing battery cell or module. Infiniti dealership confirmed the code. The code came on and off several times over the subsequent months. It was obvious a module or cell in the battery was failing, as the battery HPCM (Hybrid power train control module) started preventing significant hybrid battery discharge, and the car slightly stumbled under light acceleration when switching from battery to gas engine. You can read all about how the system works on page HBB-21 of this document (which is conceptually similar to the Q50 battery system). https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=M35 M37 M45 M56/M Hybrid/HBB.pdf. The bad part is that at startup, the controller discharges higher capacity cells to keep all cells at the same capacity – this is necessary to maintain voltage balance. So – the working capacity of each cell is only as high as the weakest cell.

How long can you drive with this code coming on and off? I don’t know. But I didn’t want to drive it in this condition for too long. I was worried that one day I’d be stuck on the side of the road.

The following is a review of my considerations to resolve this problem. At the end of the post, you will see I decided to buy a used battery with 3yr warranty installed by Greentec auto. I discuss the install experience and include pictures.

(1) Our battery warranty is 8 yrs / 100K miles. Don't count on an extensions due to state regulations like CARB. They don't apply because the Hyb Q50 is not a PZEV. http://justsmogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/california-smog-emission-warranty.pdf

(2) I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs, stating that it seemed early (8.8 yrs, 107K miles) that my battery was failing. They declined to offer any assistance.

(3) A new battery installed by Infiniti was $16,700 parts, $2100 labor. I assume the part comes with an 8yr /100K mile warranty (didn't ask since I'm not paying almost $20K for a battery+install). I’ve been told it’s a 4.1 hour job, requiring special tools, training, and cones to keep people away from the area. I think the procedure on the Q50 is similar to this 2013 M guide https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=M35 M37 M45 M56/M Hybrid/HBB.pdf

(3.5) If you are bold, you can try ordering a new battery from Japan ($5700 for the part, no idea on cost to ship). No idea about how you'd work out a warranty issue. Nissan 295B0-4GA9E (295B04GA9E) Nissan 295B0-4GA9E (295B04GA9E)

(4) A used battery from a wrecked vehicle is in the $1000 range. Can buy on Hybrid Lithium Ion Battery Pack 295B04GA9B Fits 2014 2015 2016 Infiniti Q50 OEM | eBay or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. But sometimes you won’t know the exact age of the battery or life remaining.

(5) A used battery with warranty (Ace Hybrid Group - check facebook site for deals) is a decent choice, but see #6. But warranty is for parts only. Interestingly, the price goes up by a few thousand for each year you want to extend the warranty. This means they really don’t know how long the battery will last. And as you can see – it’s cheaper to buy 2 batteries than double the warranty. You are paying for labor, which is not covered.

(6) Finding an installer for your own battery is almost impossible. These things have enough power to kill, so it takes special training (or courage). One installer in my area would only install a used battery he purchased – that way I could not gripe later if something went wrong. But the installer would warranty the work (parts and labor). But he could not locate a battery. The other would install my battery with no warranty at all – but the labor was not cheap. Seemed like a risky deal.

(7) You can – but shouldn’t - replace a bad battery module or cell. These things are balanced, and the software will charge/discharge to the capacity of the weakest cell. By now, most of the other cells on a 9 year old battery pack are degraded. Others are likely to fail soon. Furthermore, no one does this kind of work. They replace the whole assembly.

(8) There is one company - greentecauto.com - that offered a good battery policy – it’s a new firm and located in major cities. Hybrid Battery Replacement | Honda & Toyota Hybrid High Voltage Batteries They offered a battery – warranted for 3 yrs and unlimited miles – for 5250 installed. This was the best solution for me. (You won't see an option for a Q50 on their website - I called the one near Nashville and they said they could do the install and sent me a written quote. Very professional).

- - - - - - -

I had Greentecauto (greentecauto.com) install my used battery yesterday at their Nashville facility. Pictures attached. I am happy with the process. Total cost was around $5000 parts, $250 labor. Yup – I know – very expensive. But cheaper than a new car. Parts and install are warrantied for 3 years/unlimited miles… that’s what you are paying for. I have read that it is impossible to fully test if a used cell has internal plate degradation – so the warranty cost probably covers some expected percent of re-installs and still allows Greentec to turn a profit. Install took about 3.5 hours by a single technician. The battery module is about 100 lbs, and he was able to get the unit into the trunk by himself. About 8-10 power connections, 6 or so grounds, and some communication harnesses. The tech ordered two batteries in case something was wrong with the first (see pics of two batteries on a pallet). Good thinking.

The car drives well, I see more discharge on the battery indicator on the dash, and it transitions from battery to gas smoothly on acceleration.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Trunk
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Material property Wood Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Yup I got that same code right at 100,000 miles on 2015 Hybrid as well. What I did was I went out bought an extended warranty right away from Infiniti. So I am now covered for another 3 years and 36,000 miles. It was only $3,000 for the warranty versus $12,000 dollars for just a brand new battery.

· Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,558 Posts
This post is intended to help other hybrid owners when their hybrid Lithium Ion batteries start to degrade. This applies to US owners.
Thanks for your report – very interesting even here on the other side...

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Great post filled with lots of nice information @Avedis53 perhaps a sticky is in order for Hybrid owners?

Honestly while $5,000 is on the pricey side most cars usually have pretty big services around 120,000 Miles and you'd manage about $4,000 in savings over 5 years on gas assuming you get a similar car/power (excluding EVs) which are around 20-22Mpg. And that's based on 87 octane @ $3.26 gallon, would need to calculate for 91 octane and if you live anywhere outside the US most are paying closer to $6/gallon or more.

If you can eat the upfront cost for the battery swap makes a lot of sense to do it... at least based on my arm chair math.

· Registered
2015 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid AWD
46 Posts
Yup I got that same code right at 100,000 miles on 2015 Hybrid as well. What I did was I went out bought an extended warranty right away from Infiniti. So I am now covered for another 3 years and 36,000 miles. It was only $3,000 for the warranty versus $12,000 dollars for just a brand new battery.
Yikes, you guys are giving me subtle paranoia as I just hit the 100k mile mark - Great repot, I appreciate you.

My battery seems to be holding in there. knock on wood

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Great post filled with lots of nice information @Avedis53 perhaps a sticky is in order for Hybrid owners?

Honestly while $5,000 is on the pricey side most cars usually have pretty big services around 120,000 Miles and you'd manage about $4,000 in savings over 5 years on gas assuming you get a similar car/power (excluding EVs) which are around 20-22Mpg. And that's based on 87 octane @ $3.26 gallon, would need to calculate for 91 octane and if you live anywhere outside the US most are paying closer to $6/gallon or more.

If you can eat the upfront cost for the battery swap makes a lot of sense to do it... at least based on my arm chair math.
Did you look at where this thread is located?

• Haha
  • Helpful
Reactions: DeeCee and Lucky93

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Yikes, you guys are giving me subtle paranoia as I just hit the 100k mile mark - Great repot, I appreciate you.

My battery seems to be holding in there. knock on wood
Yeah the battery on mine is still working and has full power with no hiccups as of yet. But the P30EF and had popped up. I’m order for me to get the warranty I had to erase it, and now it hasn’t shown up yet.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Good information. I commend you for replacing the battery pack and putting new life into the car. Too many times I see people act like replacing the battery pack is the end of the world for a hybrid. As your experience demonstrates, it isn't that bad.

I read through the procedure you linked to. It honestly looks pretty easy and straight forward. I can understand if someone isn't comfortable with high voltage electrical systems to have the work done for them, but I would be okay doing it myself. The hardest part would be lifting and moving the pack.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Did you look at where this thread is located?
Nope, I'm going to assume it was in the wrong section. Stand by my statement though that it deserved a sticky. Which it obviously has now but still!

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Nope, I'm going to assume it was in the wrong section. Stand by my statement though that it deserved a sticky. Which it obviously has now but still!
Hybrid sub-forum under Engine and Technical Discussion seemed appropriate to me. The sticky was by request of the OP via PM before he posted this and I stickied it long before you posted.

Reactions: druhoops

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Hybrid sub-forum under Engine and Technical Discussion seemed appropriate to me. The sticky was by request of the OP via PM before he posted this and I stickied it long before you posted.
So you couldn't just say already done to begin with instead of everything else? lol

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
So you couldn't just say already done to begin with instead of everything else? lol
Hey, you're the one that insinuated that I made this a sticky after you brought it up. ;)

· Registered
7,054 Posts

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Reactions: Brianq50sport

· Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,955 Posts
At this writing, my Q50 is at 110,000 miles. I am the only owner. Purchased in Oct 2013.

A few months ago, my Q50 threw a P30EF code, meaning P30EF INTERNAL RESISTANCE (When the Li-ion battery internal resistance becomes high.) This indicated a failing battery cell or module. Infiniti dealership confirmed the code. The code came on and off several times over the subsequent months. It was obvious a module or cell in the battery was failing, as the battery HPCM (Hybrid power train control module) started preventing significant hybrid battery discharge, and the car slightly stumbled under light acceleration when switching from battery to gas engine. You can read all about how the system works on page HBB-21 of this document (which is conceptually similar to the Q50 battery system). https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=M35 M37 M45 M56/M Hybrid/HBB.pdf. The bad part is that at startup, the controller discharges higher capacity cells to keep all cells at the same capacity – this is necessary to maintain voltage balance. So – the working capacity of each cell is only as high as the weakest cell.

How long can you drive with this code coming on and off? I don’t know. But I didn’t want to drive it in this condition for too long. I was worried that one day I’d be stuck on the side of the road.

The following is a review of my considerations to resolve this problem. At the end of the post, you will see I decided to buy a used battery with 3yr warranty installed by Greentec auto. I discuss the install experience and include pictures.

(1) Our battery warranty is 8 yrs / 100K miles. Don't count on an extensions due to state regulations like CARB. They don't apply because the Hyb Q50 is not a PZEV. http://justsmogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/california-smog-emission-warranty.pdf

(2) I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs, stating that it seemed early (8.8 yrs, 107K miles) that my battery was failing. They declined to offer any assistance.

(3) A new battery installed by Infiniti was $16,700 parts, $2100 labor. I assume the part comes with an 8yr /100K mile warranty (didn't ask since I'm not paying almost $20K for a battery+install). I’ve been told it’s a 4.1 hour job, requiring special tools, training, and cones to keep people away from the area. I think the procedure on the Q50 is similar to this 2013 M guide https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=M35 M37 M45 M56/M Hybrid/HBB.pdf

(3.5) If you are bold, you can try ordering a new battery from Japan ($5700 for the part, no idea on cost to ship). No idea about how you'd work out a warranty issue. Nissan 295B0-4GA9E (295B04GA9E) Nissan 295B0-4GA9E (295B04GA9E)

(4) A used battery from a wrecked vehicle is in the $1000 range. Can buy on Hybrid Lithium Ion Battery Pack 295B04GA9B Fits 2014 2015 2016 Infiniti Q50 OEM | eBay or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. But sometimes you won’t know the exact age of the battery or life remaining.

(5) A used battery with warranty (Ace Hybrid Group - check facebook site for deals) is a decent choice, but see #6. But warranty is for parts only. Interestingly, the price goes up by a few thousand for each year you want to extend the warranty. This means they really don’t know how long the battery will last. And as you can see – it’s cheaper to buy 2 batteries than double the warranty. You are paying for labor, which is not covered.

(6) Finding an installer for your own battery is almost impossible. These things have enough power to kill, so it takes special training (or courage). One installer in my area would only install a used battery he purchased – that way I could not gripe later if something went wrong. But the installer would warranty the work (parts and labor). But he could not locate a battery. The other would install my battery with no warranty at all – but the labor was not cheap. Seemed like a risky deal.

(7) You can – but shouldn’t - replace a bad battery module or cell. These things are balanced, and the software will charge/discharge to the capacity of the weakest cell. By now, most of the other cells on a 9 year old battery pack are degraded. Others are likely to fail soon. Furthermore, no one does this kind of work. They replace the whole assembly.

(8) There is one company - greentecauto.com - that offered a good battery policy – it’s a new firm and located in major cities. Hybrid Battery Replacement | Honda & Toyota Hybrid High Voltage Batteries They offered a battery – warranted for 3 yrs and unlimited miles – for 5250 installed. This was the best solution for me. (You won't see an option for a Q50 on their website - I called the one near Nashville and they said they could do the install and sent me a written quote. Very professional).

- - - - - - -

I had Greentecauto (greentecauto.com) install my used battery yesterday at their Nashville facility. Pictures attached. I am happy with the process. Total cost was around $5000 parts, $250 labor. Yup – I know – very expensive. But cheaper than a new car. Parts and install are warrantied for 3 years/unlimited miles… that’s what you are paying for. I have read that it is impossible to fully test if a used cell has internal plate degradation – so the warranty cost probably covers some expected percent of re-installs and still allows Greentec to turn a profit. Install took about 3.5 hours by a single technician. The battery module is about 100 lbs, and he was able to get the unit into the trunk by himself. About 8-10 power connections, 6 or so grounds, and some communication harnesses. The tech ordered two batteries in case something was wrong with the first (see pics of two batteries on a pallet). Good thinking.

The car drives well, I see more discharge on the battery indicator on the dash, and it transitions from battery to gas smoothly on acceleration.

View attachment 113723 View attachment 113717 View attachment 113718 View attachment 113719 View attachment 113720 View attachment 113721 View attachment 113722
Good for you buddy.(y)

- - - - - - -

View attachment 113723 View attachment 113717 View attachment 113718 View attachment 113719 View attachment 113720 View attachment 113721 View attachment 113722
[/QUOTE

· Registered
7,054 Posts
More like this:
Come on Tin man you are far more than just a user, at minimum you are a forum moderator (Alternate title exasperated parent). ;)

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Come on Tin man you are far more than just a user, at minimum you are a forum moderator (Alternate title exasperated parent). ;)
Nice attempt but not up to your usual standards.

· Registered
7,054 Posts

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts