Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM batteries on these cars last forever, man. Anyone else with older models with the OEM battery?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
The OEM batteries on these cars last forever, man. Anyone else with older models with the OEM battery?
Based on the posts here, I'm guessing that isn't necessarily the case.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Based on the posts here, I'm guessing that isn't necessarily the case.
Then I'd like to hear when people had to replace theirs. Granted, I guess the warmer climate here in Mexico does contribute for longer battery longevity.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Then I'd like to hear when people had to replace theirs. Granted, I guess the warmer climate here in Mexico does contribute for longer battery longevity.
The Search feature here is your friend.

Actually, hot weather is harder on battery chemistry than cold weather and can cause car batteries to fail sooner. Average battery lifetimes are 5-7 years.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
As Avedis said batteries tend to fail sooner at higher temperatures , but generally speaking batteries don't like it too hot or too cold treat them
right and the AGM style battery Infiniti uses can run for 5+ years.

That said if we went to the other extreme for somewhere like Canada where it hits -30C every winter the battery may still be able to hold a charge and not "failed" but what capacity
is left isn't sufficient to crank the motor if temperatures drop below a point. So in practice the battery is useless.

A cold winter also means the battery will go through a more extreme charge/discharge cycle which also isn't ideal for most batteries.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
As Avedis said batteries tend to fail sooner at higher temperatures , but generally speaking batteries don't like it too hot or too cold treat them
right and the AGM style battery Infiniti uses can run for 5+ years.

That said if we went to the other extreme for somewhere like Canada where it hits -30C every winter the battery may still be able to hold a charge and not "failed" but what capacity
is left isn't sufficient to crank the motor if temperatures drop below a point. So in practice the battery is useless.

A cold winter also means the battery will go through a more extreme charge/discharge cycle which also isn't ideal for most batteries.
Agreed. Increased oil viscosity at colder temperatures does cause the starter motor to pull more current and seem like it's failing when it really isn't.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also got a 2015 Q50s and still has the original oem battery....im at 45k miles and also debating on when I should change the battery before it fails. I think 5-7 years seems to be the average so it may fail in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,477 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I also got a 2015 Q50s and still has the original oem battery....im at 45k miles and also debating on when I should change the battery before it fails. I think 5-7 years seems to be the average so it may fail in the near future.
I've found that it is not fun to wait until a battery fails. I usually replace a battery after about 5 years unless issues start to show up earlier than that (slow cranking or other elec oddities).

You live in a cold climate. A battery can seem fine for 3 seasons of the year and then that one time it needs to start when the car is sitting in below zero temps and she won't crank.... Not fun!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Huh? Mine has caps to add water.
You can still top up AGM batteries, its just less of an issue with those style of batteries.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I've found that it is not fun to wait until a battery fails. I usually replace a battery after about 5 years unless issues start to show up earlier than that (slow cranking or other elec oddities).

You live in a cold climate. A battery can seem fine for 3 seasons of the year and then that one time it needs to start when the car is sitting in below zero temps and she won't crank.... Not fun!
Yep, same here. If I get five years of service I do both me and the battery a favor and put it into retirement at my convenience before it comes to an untimely end.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I'll have to admit....batteries are one of the few things on a car that I forget about until cranking (or some other) issues arise.

Like, just over the past few days, my wife's XC90 has been throwing up this weird 'power steering resources are unavailable' message. It happens infrequently when moving from a stop, involving the Start/Stop function. Did a little research on a Volvo forum, and sure enough that's a thing. The power steering assist's wiring is tied in with Volvo's auxiliary battery that powers their Start/Stop function (ingenious I tell ya!:confused::rolleyes:....Have I ever told ya'll I hate engineers?). Problem is, I haven't taken the time to locate that sucker, but the main battery is still showing 12.78amps...from my understanding, is good and shows that the auxiliary battery isn't drawing on the main unnecessarily....which could also mean a software issue for the PS (oh Brother!:oops::eek:)

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
I'll have to admit....batteries are one of the few things on a car that I forget about until cranking (or some other) issues arise.

Like, just over the past few days, my wife's XC90 has been throwing up this weird 'power steering resources are unavailable' message. It happens infrequently when moving from a stop, involving the Start/Stop function. Did a little research on a Volvo forum, and sure enough that's a thing. The power steering assist's wiring is tied in with Volvo's auxiliary battery that powers their Start/Stop function (ingenious I tell ya!:confused::rolleyes:....Have I ever told ya'll I hate engineers?). Problem is, I haven't taken the time to locate that sucker, but the main battery is still showing 12.78amps...from my understanding, is good and shows that the auxiliary battery isn't drawing on the main unnecessarily....which could also mean a software issue for the PS (oh Brother!:oops::eek:)
So, you hate engineers eh? This engineer would say if your battery is only showing it's delivering 12.78 Amps, it's toast. Now if it's 12.78 VDC, that's indicating a full charge. Engineers are rather picky about that sort of thing. ;)

Reactions: rpiotro and Q602B

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
It is not wise to ignore car batteries until an issue arises. During their life most will need to have water added to them and have their posts / terminals cleaned.

Reactions: damonb10
1 - 14 of 14 Posts