Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure where this should go, but since it mentions the change to a Q nomenclature, I'll put it here. This is part of an article which designates 10 cars that have gotten a bad rap. Some of the cars on the list certainly deserve to be bashed. Putting the entire Infiniti line in the mix says a lot about how Infiniti is viewed by quite a few(and ignored by many others). We enthusiasts know better, but there are still many people who haven't a clue as to what an Infiniti is. Anyway, here is what it said about Infiniti - and notice what it starts off with, the terrible marketing that Infiniti tried:

6. Any Infiniti 1989-
7 of 11

Blighted at birth by the infamous "rocks and trees" advertising campaign, Nissan's Infiniti division has suffered from shifting priorities, management indecision, and bad product choices. Crossovers and SUVs represent half the sales for some luxury brands, but not at Infiniti, which barely competes in the segments. That it survives at all is due to the surprisingly athletic handling, sporty performance, and exceptional quality of its nearly-invisible G-series cars, but even those are going away. In its latest reincarnation, Infiniti is renaming all its cars with an alpha-numeric name beginning with the letter "Q."

Here's the URL for the entire article:

10 cars that got a bad rap - (1) - FORTUNE

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I think the guy who wrote this article is an idiot.

All the other cars on that list are insanely rare because no one wants them. They were failures

There are TONS of Infinitis on the road from 1989-current. And many of them are miles better than the other cars he has listed. I'm not sure how Infinitis success would rank with those failure cars.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
This seem to be a little bit insane to place the whole line up into this article. What's scarey is the fact that there will be some uninformed readers that won't even give Infiniti a chance, because of something like this being written. It's like they let others make their decisions without checking them out and finding out for themselves and will pay not attention to any other articles that may be written that actually praises Infiniti. I have a few words I would like to call this writer, but.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
This entire brouhaha over Infiniti's historical marketing is ridiculous. I still remember their "rocks and trees" advertising and found it innovative and refreshing at the time. It was artistic, transcendent and intellectual as compared to what the competition was putting out there. And I loved it when Jonathan Pryce was their spokesman: "The Infiniti Q45 luxury sedan...Is it worth it?"

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, my first Infiniti - 1999. :)

The article is sort of a left-handed compliment. He's saying that the cars on the list shouldn't be bashed(but some of them sure should be!) because they were better than people thought. After all, he does mention the reliability, performance, etc. of Infiniti cars. What he is mocking is that Infiniti has never really established itself in the minds of people as an upscale brand, or even ANY brand, that most people can relate to, and it does start with the marketing. For myself, I sort of fell into that first Infiniti when I wanted to ditch the lousy Sable, and a nearby dealer was having a great offer on the I30. I was a fan of Nissan, so I jumped at it, and I can say that I'm glad I did. There are just so many out there who still don't have a fix on what Infiniti is. Maybe in the next few years...........

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I feel like Infiniti has always been an easy target, especially when you've got the German competitors walking around the industry essentially being bulletproof.
I'd say lexus was an easier target until recently. I never gave lexus a second look until the GS350 came out. And now all the cars are being revamped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.