Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my hybrid sport for 3-4 months, and i still cannot get used to the crazy sensitive brakes. I figured with time, it would get better. Then i thought maybe it was my Q50, but a buddy of mine has the same problem. Does this bother anyone else? especially in stop and go chicago traffic.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
The hybrid sport brakes are sensitive (difficult to modulate) and very effective (grabby) at low speed. This may be due to the fact that two braking systems are in use. I can't say how it would do in Chicago traffic but when I am in stop and go traffic I just let the automatic braking that is part of the tech package take care of it. If that is not an option for you, I think you may just have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When I picked up my car I got stuck in insane christmas shopping stop and go rush hour traffic and had the same problem.

I found that when you modulate the brakes when your stopping for either slower or faster stopping, you need to barely move the pedal.
And try to keep a constant pressure when stopping with very slight movements of the pedal.
It's insanely sensitive.
And it took me quite a few days to get used to that.
This so far for me has been the best way to get smooth braking.
I hope that description makes sense.

I haven't done a lot of rush out traffic yet due to it being around Christmas time and a lot of companies are shut down.
Once work starts back up and I'm in rush hour, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I've heard this complaint only from people on this forum. I've not had any of my clients complain and I have a non-sport hybrid and I don't have a problem. I've driven the sport hybrid plenty of times (one of our demos is a hybrid sport).

I don't understand why it is a problem. I'm not doubting that you're experiencing it, just that I can't see why so many people seem unable to change their braking habits to be more sensitive.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't understand why it is a problem. I'm not doubting that you're experiencing it, just that I can't see why so many people seem unable to change their braking habits to be more sensitive.
This was mentioned on the other braking thread.
And I tend to agree with it.
If one is shelling out 45K - 55K for a car, you expect the brakes to be smooth.

But like I said.
At least for me it's getting better.
Practice makes perfect.

I imagine this varies from person to person as well because people have different braking habits. :)
I found if you do a hard linear stop for example, it didn't seem to exhibit the problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've heard this complaint only from people on this forum. I've not had any of my clients complain and I have a non-sport hybrid and I don't have a problem. I've driven the sport hybrid plenty of times (one of our demos is a hybrid sport).

Well I don't know about everyone, but there is no way I would complain about the brakes being too sensitive! Just based on the fact that I see him going out back and having a good laugh with the service guys.

I'm not saying this is the case at your dealership, or even mine, but I wouldn't say anything just based on ridicule! "His brakes are too sensitive, I'm sure his coffee is to hot, his wallet is too full as well"

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
If one is shelling out 45K - 55K for a car, you expect the brakes to be smooth.
For "$45k", I'd rather have strong, grabby brakes than soft, mushy ones.

Infiniti/Nissan has been known for years for having very strong and sensitive brakes.

If you haven't experienced it before, it can take a while to get used to it

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
These brakes are nowhere near as "sensitive" as the ones on the original, '03 G35. I almost went through the windshield the first time I drove it and applied the brakes. It took a while to get used to them. By the time that the coupe came out, eight months later, Nissan must have made some changes, as they weren't nearly as grabby. As for the Q50, I have had no problems with the brakes - I like them just fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
To chime in with another 'two cents'... the brakes are entirely too sensitive and 'grabby'. After nearly 8K+ miles I'm still finding ways to stop smoothly, especially when I have passengers aboard. As mentioned by another poster, I typically feather the brakes at about 50% or start to decelerate as much as possible as I approach stoplights/ stop signs. However, bumper-to-bumper traffic can be brutal. The difference between my other Infinitis and the braking in the Q50 is noticeable. This is the single thing that is making me consider a different vehicle in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
These brakes are nowhere near as "sensitive" as the ones on the original, '03 G35. I almost went through the windshield the first time I drove it and applied the brakes. It took a while to get used to them. By the time that the coupe came out, eight months later, Nissan must have made some changes, as they weren't nearly as grabby. As for the Q50, I have had no problems with the brakes - I like them just fine.
To me it's to different problems.
The G35 problem is the initial push of the brake pedal is where it bites hard.
And I agree in 2003 when the car came out it had insane bite compared to anything I had driven.

With the Q50S Hybrid, this isn't a problem for me.

The problem is modulating the brakes while coming to a stop if you need to adjust your stopping speed.
Which is why it seems worst in rush hour traffic (like the op posted) because your constantly going from 0MPH - 15MPH - 0MPH -10MPH - 0MPH, etc.
Your always starting and then braking.

I think this was covered in another thread.
The uber sensitivity probably has to do with the regen braking doing the hand off to standard braking when coming to a stop.

Gas models don't have this issue.
If you put your hybrid in Neutral you don't have this issue because it pulls off the regenerative breaking when you go into Neutral.

SimpsonTide985, this is what I mean by a 45k - 55k.
It should be well mannered at stopping.

The brakes themselves are awesome in terms of stopping power. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
To me it's to different problems.
The G35 problem is the initial push of the brake pedal is where it bites hard.
And I agree in 2003 when the car came out it had insane bite compared to anything I had driven.

With the Q50S Hybrid, this isn't a problem for me.

The problem is modulating the brakes while coming to a stop if you need to adjust your stopping speed.
Which is why it seems worst in rush hour traffic (like the op posted) because your constantly going from 0MPH - 15MPH - 0MPH -10MPH - 0MPH, etc.
Your always starting and then braking.

I think this was covered in another thread.
The uber sensitivity probably has to do with the regen braking doing the hand off to standard braking when coming to a stop.

Gas models don't have this issue.
If you put your hybrid in Neutral you don't have this issue because it pulls off the regenerative breaking when you go into Neutral.

Exactly.

·
Registered
309 Posts

I think I agree with you to a degree, but have a little insight into the sport brakes used on this model. I have retrofitted a few older Y50 style Ms with these brakes and have had several owners tell me the difference is impressive...where sensitive yet effective brakes are the ideal outcome. We have never seen this with previous hybrid models since there were no sport options on the M hybrid. Since we are now equipping the Q50SH with the same setup these sensitive brakes are going to be used in a new way.

Personally I think the braking system is solid...it works very well on warm rotors but in short trip stop and go traffic (even on warm rotors) they can get touchy. When you throw in a variable like hybrid regeneration functions that really messes with the math. The amount of friction braking done on hybrids is significantly less than ICE versions. I would suspect that plays a significant role in owner perception of brake pedal feel, if the rotors never get to a temperature they like the feel might end up being very sensitive.

Some of the "work arounds" I have seen posted here might well cause more trouble than they resolve. Decreasing the amount of regenerative braking the car does might adversely effect mpgs and hybrid operation over time.

I would urge owners to voice their complaints (hopefully add to the database of owner concerns) when in for service, and work on managing with what you currently have. I would expect some sort of software update but have not heard anything first hand.

If the brakes are warmed up (several hard long stops w/o regen) are any of you noticing any improvement in pedal feel?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Had the same problem with the 31S Fsport brakes. Not smooth at all. When you come to a complete stop, it makes a "jerky" move at the very end. Instead of a smooth stop.

No matter how hard you try to stop smoothly.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

My experience in driving 45k-55k cars with sport brakes is somewhat limited. Just so I can understand where your frame of reference is coming from, can you give me an example of other cars in this segment with sport brakes that have the kind of braking that are more well mannered?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't think it's necessary at all to compare against another brand.
Just look at the non hybrid Q50 sport.
Have you seen any complaints about a lurch out of it's braking when coming to a stop or stopping at slow speeds?
I haven't yet, but you've obviously been on the forums a lot longer than me.

It appears to me it's something specific to the Hybrid model and how it handles the braking situation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My experience in driving 45k-55k cars with sport brakes is somewhat limited. Just so I can understand where your frame of reference is coming from, can you give me an example of other cars in this segment with sport brakes that have the kind of braking that are more well mannered?
Have driven C63 AMGs, Camaro SSs, BMW M3s, Mustang GTs, Nissan Maximas (never owned - just rented or test driven). All well mannered in the braking area and easy to modulate/control the stopping force. But, of course, none of these were hybrid. Which I think may be *part* of the problem. More info about the hybrid brake system is here: http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/wh...14-help-hybrid-owners-how-brake-smoothly.html

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you search from Google, "hybrid and mushy brake", you will get lots of people have issue with braking on the hybrid (not just the Q50 hybrid). I guess that's one of the drawback of driving a hybrid car.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Yeah, I'm not as well educated on the hybrid braking systems. Very interesting..

I think comparing cars between and within segments is the only thing we have to build on our expectations and perceptions about the cars we drive.

I hope I didn't come off sounding condescending. I was truly curious about this because I've only test driven 3 Q50's and none of them were a Hybrid Sport model specifically. Then, when this thing about price range came into play, then I got even more curious/perplexed---I get the feeling that $45k, $65k or not, it doesn't really make a difference (in this case).

As some of you know, I have a pet peeve about people arbitrarily assigning and relating "annoyances/nuisances/criticisms" as a direct characteristic to a car's price range. I just wasn't convinced that was the case at all as it seems like I may have been right..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.