Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Another week another problem with my Q50 2.2d.

Since last week here in UK we've got a cold wave of frost and low temperatures and my car started doing something strange

At start up when cold the warning for emergency brake came on almost instantly while the car was in park. The same warning you get if you start driving without releasing the parking brake.

This continued for a few days every morning and once the car was warm if I stopped and started again it would be fine.
Today was a cold morning and I had a bit of time to investigate the issue.

Started the car and revs went up to about 1100RPM as usual when cold.What I noticed was that the speedo started jumping up to 20Mph and back to 0 randomly. At the same time I've got the brake warning again. It looks like the car was sensing it was moving somehow. All this while at idle in the park position.

Started driving as usual no issues engine got up to normal temperature and all of a sudden I've got a warning on the screen for Chassing control module failure while the Amber light on dash for ESP and Abs came on.

I didn't sense any drop in power at that time. Got the car back home and switched the gear to reverse and car didn't want to move. Put it in drive again and the same. Didn't move.
Switched off and started again. In reverse again and car started moving as usual with the errors on the dash. When moved from reverse to park there was this shock from the gearbox similar to when the engine is stopped while still in drive. Like there is pressure released from the gearbox somehow.

I've put my OBD scanner and found the P0721 code for the Output shaft speed sensor out of range / performance.

This explains the false speed readings I was getting at idle and the speedo movement.

My Q50 has the Mercedes 2.2d engine and if I'm not wrong the gearbox is also Mercedes.
There seems to be a long history for Mercedes for failures on the gearbox speed sensor and control module for the gearbox which are very expensive from what I could see.

The car is a 2016 model with 27000 miles. No oil changes for the gearbox since it was bought. I understand that the oil is for "life"?

I would have to book it at the dealership but would like to know if anyone has had this problem before. Just to know what to prepare for 馃榿

Car had the extend warranty expired last summer so a bit nervous about the situation.
Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi everyone,

Managed to get it sorted at the dealership.
The famous rear ABS sensor was faulty on the drivers side.

Quite expensive but even if car is out of warranty managed to get a 50% contribution from Infiniti..

Hopefully no more problems for now.
Will buy the other sensor and replace it at the next service. Looks like there's a manufacturing issue.

All the best

Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 2.2D RWD
Hi,

You will also have problems with MAF( mass air flow sensor) lambda and boost pressure sensors. I have used ThinkDiag OBD2 to read and reset sensors on my car, same problem with that infamous abs sensor I thought I was gonna burn the car down and claim on my insurance:))
Ps.: gearbox oil is not for life pls change it every 60k and for the engine I recommend RAVENOL USVO VMP 5W-30

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Adqika,

Thanks for the heads up 馃榿.

I'm nearly 30K now so still a couple of years away until the 60K for the ATF change.

I know about the possible issues with the Labda sensors. I'm trying to prevent this by using good diesel..

For the MAF I had the issue. Problem is not with the sensors its with the calibration that needs to be done at every air filter replacement. If not done it will trigger the MAF error.

What is special about the Ravenol oil? I'm using the service book recommended Total Quartz MC1.

Regards

Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 2.2D RWD
Hi,

ThinkDiag will calibrate that, and the oil comes from a top oil Blender in Germany, helps our pour timing chain setup :)
Regards

Registered
Thanks for the useful information Can you describe in detail what filter you bought, how to install it, how to reset or reset the onboard computer? every time I have to pay 90 dollars for a piece of plstmasy - ((

1 - 6 of 6 Posts