Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was finally able to get my Snow White Q50 Hybrid with Deluxe package. I had to drive her home 400 miles and the next day, I wanted to wash it, clay and seal with wax.

One think I noticed, there are red little dots very small throughout the car. I have attached a picture.

Can any one of you with white car tell me if you have the same issue?

I don't think it can be buffed out as it appears to be under the clear coat.

[/URL]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone moonlight white owners that has the issue?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no it's a smooth surface. it appears to be under the clear coat

it's all over the car. almost like burns from little sparkles of fire

·
Registered
444 Posts
i'd go back to the dealer and do a side-by-side comparison with a service manager with another white car. My guess is: You got the first car on a color change on the line.

use the checklist in my signature.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
it might not be "under" the clear coat, it could be within the clear coat, meaning it could be cut polished...however i wouldn't want to do an aggressive cut polish on the whole care if you dont know how deep within the clear coat those burns are. still, i understand how you feel being a brand new off the lot car, i'd be pissed too, talk to your dealership see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I has similar rust spots in few other white/silver cars. It is under the clear coat. It wont get worse, but I think that there is no easy remedy for it. My Q50 is also moonlight white so I'll let you know if there are any spots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever get this solved? I just washed my car of all the salt and found rust stains on the trunk, in small areas but I did find them, as well I do remember seeing the small spots as you had under the clear coat but I had thought it was just part of the pearl.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Try something like this.
GOO GONE Multi-Purpose Remover, Automotive, 16 oz. - G5064577 at Zoro

I use this one. It's not sold anymore at normal stores.
Vintage 1980's Turtle Wax Bug Tar Remover 16 FL oz Can 1 2 Full | eBay

I've had some weird red spots after it's rained, and they come right out with the turtle wax bug and tar remover I have, but take a ton of scrubbing with soap and a wash glove to remove them.
It's the same kind of deal as yours.
It's almost like a stain on the paint. There is no edge to the red marks.

Might be worth a shot.. it's a very cheap fix if it works.
You just dab a little on a terry cloth and gently rub the spot in question.

BTW, I have white as well.
I've used the tar and sap remover to clean up other things like grease smears I've picked up on the road near the fenders.
It's very handy stuff with a white car to clean up things that don't wash off easily.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Get yourself a clay bar. They work miracles for surface contaminants and paint transfer.

Heck just go here and get the starter kit (about $95 but will last a long time): www.zainostore.com

I pimp the Zaino product a lot because I believe in it. I have a 10 year old Land Rover that I DO take off-road, and the clearcoat gets beat up, and the Zaino products make it pop...people think it's brand new. I use the same products on the Q50.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yea I have noticed a couple of spots like this in the rear of my car when I am waxing it. They are not big enough to bother me or be seen from far away so I dont really care.

This could also be something called Rail dust (search it up on removal methods). Small particles from train wheels when hot adhered to your paint and "melted" on to your car, when being transported on railways or similar. I believe that is the way stuff like this happens.

I am just saying it could be this, since I had a similar problem with my previous F150 truck. (which other customers had too)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes it is rail dust. It shows up more on light colored cars. As a previous poster recommended, a clay bar will take it right off and not harm your paint clear coat.

I clay bar all my cars once a year. It's the best way to keep your paint smooth and shiny. Just follow the directions and use plenty of lube (detailing spray) ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
What Scottman said!! I forgot to mention rail dust in my post, but it's a real phenomenon and in fact it's why I detailed (including a good clay bar treatment) each of my last two brand new cars as soon as was practical after purchasing them. Most people wouldn't think to do that because afterall, they are brand new....but the sooner you get the rail dust, overspray or any other gunk that's on the paint surface (that you may not see) the better. Then protect it with some good polish.

I also clay once per year (maybe twice if needed) but the polish I use (see my earlier post) is non-abrasive so I use it every time I wash my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going to the dealership Tuesday as my steering just failed due to the cold weather up here, apparently this is a frequent thing in the cold, I will be having them look at it however I will give the clay bar a shot when it warms up in a couple months.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a year of ownership, I finally found the time to clay the entire car. What a difference did it make. All of the small red dots came right off as I clayed.

My paint job looks so white that I find myself making excuses to go outside and see it.

As it always goes with car washes, I spent 3 days washing and detailing my car and on the 4th day it has been raining for the past 2 days.

Give clay a go and you'd be surprised on the wonders it does.

Reactions: houm_wa

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have just noticed two of these spots on the back of my moonlight white Q. The car was clayed and waxed prior to the Fall/Winter misery. The spots are on either side of the licence plate on the trunk, which seems a very unlikely place to get rail dust. But with the amount of crapola on the roads, I'm surprised there's any paint left on the car at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to have a ivory pearl g35. Whenever I would clay Bar the car or attempt at removing any kind of impurities on the paint, I would notice it. It's some kind of rust spot that forms. I don't think there's a way to avoid it. I never had luck removing them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.