Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Added to the list of my Q50 issues....

Shortly after I took delivery of the car (which was in the rain), I discovered that there was a paint defect on the front bumper. It is a small bump, about half the size of a grain of rice, under the paint.

I pointed out to the dealership to document, but since the only solution is to repaint, I asked them to just make note and not do anything--as it seemed likely the fix was worse than the problem.

I just noticed that in the same area on the other side of the grill I now have a paint chip about the same size. To put it in perspective, I traded in an Acura TL after nearly 3 years and almost 50k that had no paint chips on the grill. I don't follow trucks or other cars closely and am very careful and meticulous about the car. My car has about 2,500 miles on it.

Anyone else had paint quality issues?

I'd also add that the prep work on this car was the worst I've ever had at delivery, and this is my 13th or 14th car. I was still finding tape lines on the car 2 months later. I realize that is a dealer and not a manufacturer issue, but still disappointing.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I take it that you didn't clay bar, seal the paint, wax?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clay bar? No. Seal paint? No. Wax? Yes. Zaino, actually. Had broke down and zainoed to deal with the tape marks left from the shoddy prep of the car at delivery.

Not my first new car. Have never sealed new paint and never had paint chipping off, at least not at 2,500 miles!

The first defect I described wouldn't be helped by clay barring anyway, because it is clearly either something under the paint or just a small gob of paint in that spot. If that bump is removed, I'm pretty sure it will match the chip on the other side of my grill I noticed today. There's something to be said about symmetry, but....haha.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Didn't seal my car either. I had the same horrible tape marks at delivery, finally got over that but then went to my first car wash and then noticed a chip of missing paint? Was urked figuring that the car wash were rough on the car thinking that I should have just hand washed it. but maybe it was paint quality? I mean can going through one car wash do that? in any case i guess the car couldn't have remained perfect forever but annoying nonetheless...maybe i'll feel better after there's symmetry haha

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prosgal - I have been using the same car wash as I have with all my previous cars, none of which had an issue. Glad I'm not the only one; not glad that it is happening, though. I am adding this to my seemingly ever growing list of issues with this car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes annoying as heck! but finding comfort on this forum, but yes adding to the growing list of issues with this car. was so excited about the Q50 but still love the look, it's bittersweet
Prosgal - I have been using the same car wash as I have with all my previous cars, none of which had an issue. Glad I'm not the only one; not glad that it is happening, though. I am adding this to my seemingly ever growing list of issues with this car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a rock hit my hood on the 2nd day driving down the highway left to small chips. Probably more noticeable as this car is black and my last was silver.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice! Haven't had a chance to wash my car since receiving it, guess I'll hold off until I can get it detailed at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Maybe 3 weeks after taking delivery of my Q50S Liquid Plat, I had a chance to wax & clay bar my car & get up close and personal with the paint. I noticed a pretty big scratch area (about 3 sq. in.) on the lower end of the hood. I definitely had no incident that would have caused scratches like that. I obviously didn't notice it the day I picked it up; maybe because it was a sunny day out & the silver beams in the sun. Regardless, I wonder if I have any recourse available with the dealership? 2 months later?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Maybe 3 weeks after taking delivery of my Q50S Liquid Plat, I had a chance to wax & clay bar my car & get up close and personal with the paint. I noticed a pretty big scratch area (about 3 sq. in.) on the lower end of the hood. I definitely had no incident that would have caused scratches like that. I obviously didn't notice it the day I picked it up; maybe because it was a sunny day out & the silver beams in the sun. Regardless, I wonder if I have any recourse available with the dealership? 2 months later?
It wouldn't hurt to ask but I doubt it if the dealer will do more than a polish/wax.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

is it just surface scratch or is it down to the paint? if its just surface you could probably get them to polish it out, although i wouldnt want the dealership guys polishing my car, i'd take it to a reputable detailing shop, not a dealership or a regular detailing shop, trust me i learned the hard way.

if its down to the paint, you're out of luck best they can do is make it less visible not disappear unless you paint it, which i wouldnt on a brand new car. however it looks like your car is silver, so the scratch shouldnt be hard to hide even if it is in the paint.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
is it just surface scratch or is it down to the paint? if its just surface you could probably get them to polish it out, although i wouldnt want the dealership guys polishing my car, i'd take it to a reputable detailing shop, not a dealership or a regular detailing shop, trust me i learned the hard way.

if its down to the paint, you're out of luck best they can do is make it less visible not disappear unless you paint it, which i wouldnt on a brand new car. however it looks like your car is silver, so the scratch shouldnt be hard to hide even if it is in the paint.
I'm no paint expert but I don't think it's deep down into the paint? (Pics...)
Blue Automotive exterior Vehicle Hood Car

Blue Water Sky Line Wing

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
That looks like damage during transport. When I bought my G, a couple of months afterward, I happened to see paint damage on the passenger side c-pillar, which only showed up when light hit it a certain way. It appeared that something had hit the pillar when it was on the truck, something like a chain. The dealership had the area repainted, and in the 6 1/2 years I had the car, you couldn't see any damage. I attribute that to a good paint job, and the paint sealant I used afterward.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
That looks like damage during transport. When I bought my G, a couple of months afterward, I happened to see paint damage on the passenger side c-pillar, which only showed up when light hit it a certain way. It appeared that something had hit the pillar when it was on the truck, something like a chain. The dealership had the area repainted, and in the 6 1/2 years I had the car, you couldn't see any damage. I attribute that to a good paint job, and the paint sealant I used afterward.
Thanks for that. Gives me hope that the dealership may be gracious enough to respect my honesty that I really just noticed it after my first wax detail, and that it had to have happened prior to delivery. I'll take it to the dealer in the next day or so & report back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.