Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, none of you will ever need this!!!

However; If you run into a situation where you get a dent in your vehicle that doesn't damage the paint, I would suggest that you seek out somebody in your area that specializes in Paintless Dent Removal.

My daily driver (the Q50 is my wife's car) is a Chevy Equinox. It is over 4 years old, and I have taken very good care of the paint (it looks showroom new). It always bothered me that the vehicle was in terrific shape with the exception of 5 small (dime size) shallow dents on the rear quarter panels and read door. I tried not to focus on them, but everytime I detailed my Nox, they stood out like a sore thumb.

This past Sunday, I was cleaning up with some Spray Shine, when I couldn't ignore the dents any longer. I fired up Google and typed in "Paintless Dent Removal". The first entry that came up had over 50 reviews (100% positive), so I gave them a call to see if I could get an estimate.

To my surprise, they scheduled an appointment that afternoon to schedule an estimate. Not only that, but they came to me.

A very pleasant oriental couple arrived on time and went right to work on examining the vehicle. In doing some research after I called, I discovered the going rate was around $75, so I was a little un-nerved when I was quoted a higher rate than that. The wife(?) went over each dent and gave me a price for each one and explained why they varied (three of them were on creases, which added to the difficulty). She also told me that they didn't charge if I wasn't happy.

I gave them the go-ahead and the husband went to work.

I found the process he used fascinating. He first set-up a large umbrella to shield the dent he was working on from the sun. He then set-up a special lamp that used magnets to remain in place on the vehicle. He then started removing tail lights and other gaskets, etc that gave him access to the inside of the panels. He then went to work with a series of small hammers and "chisels" on the exterior and a series of long metal rods on the inside (its more than a bit unnerving to watch someone "hammer" on the exterior of your vehicle). Since the hammering was getting to me, I went back in the house for 30 minutes.

When I came back out, he had finished the 1st dent. I was amazed! If I hadn't put frog tape under the dent earlier in the day, I wouldn't have known where the dent was. I watched the man work on the second dent for several minutes. The thought that crossed my mind was that this man was true artist. Instead of a brush and paint, he was using hammers and metal bars to "coax" the metal back into shape.

In all, he probably spent 3.5 hours working on my Nox. Every dent, even the ones that were on creases, was gone. Again, if he hadn't left the frog tape on the car, I wouldn't have been able to pick out where the dents had been.

Faster, more convenient and cheaper than taking it to a body shop. From what I understand talking to others, it is also better quality because the shops will often use methods that require repainting which devalues the car because it is no longer original paint.

If you happen to live in the Northern Virginia area, I would highly recommend the company that I used:

https://plus.google.com/115597360265084380323/about?gl=US

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
We use a service like that all the time on used cars. It definitely is an art.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how much did they charge?
It came out to just over $100 per dent. The dent that was on the back door was actually two dents, but I wasn't able to see the 2nd one until he fixed the 1st one. Three of the dents were on seems, and when I was doing my research, many of the companies wouldn't touch those.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We use a service like that all the time on used cars. It definitely is an art.
I lived in the Midwest for a while, this is a normal thing due to all the hail storms they have. I had this done on my M3 that had a few hail dents. The guy used a German made contraption and it was just amazing to watch and it worked perfectly.
Just wanted to spread the word that it is possible to get the dents out and a good artist can make the car look like new. To tell you the truth, I was terrified to try this, but I was absolutely thrilled with the results.

Again, I hope nobody on this forum ever needs the service, but if you do, don't hesitate to get it done. Just do your research and find somebody that has a good reputation.

BTW - I got a call back from one of the body shops I sent an e-mail inquiry to (before I got the nerve to call the couple that did the work). They wanted almost twice as much to remove the dents (they insured my that my insurance would take care of it). When I asked them how they would fix it, they responded that they would fill the dents with some new space age polymer (they didn't dare mention bondo) that they would paint over. I'm sure the paint would have matched perfectly on a 4-year old vehicle:rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
[/QUOTE]
BTW - I got a call back from one of the body shops I sent an e-mail inquiry to (before I got the nerve to call the couple that did the work). They wanted almost twice as much to remove the dents (they insured my that my insurance would take care of it). When I asked them how they would fix it, they responded that they would fill the dents with some new space age polymer (they didn't dare mention bondo) that they would paint over. I'm sure the paint would have matched perfectly on a 4-year old vehicle:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's called "bondolymer"... haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.