Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is very petite (4'11" and around 95 pounds). So, when she sits in the passenger seat, most of the time the passenger air bag system does not engage and the warning light comes on. It seems like she is right at the cusp of the weight/height limit. I understand that the system is designed so that is not dangerous for children. However, I definitely want a passenger air bag that would deploy in an accident if my wife is sitting in the seat (especially if she is right at the limit). My question is if the sensors can be manually adjusted? Is there the possibility that the sensors in my car are not calibrated correctly, given the height/weight of my wife? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Ask your dealer to check the sensors. How she sits in the seat can also affect it. If she pivots to face you, rather than sitting straight, that can set off the sensor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same thing happened to me the other day. Wife shifted her weight to the side to fit her purse, and the Passenger Airbag Off light came on.

Had to reset InTouch to get it working again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd would just check with the dealer because the most important thing is safety. There are things you can do to the seating position that will ensure maximum safety as well. It would suck if they said your wife had to sit in the back seat to be safe though. You'd think that they would have thought about petite people when designing the car and included options for them to ensure safety for everyone.

Let us know what happens once you call the dealer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just for clarification are you talking about the red fault indicator in the gauge cluster or the yellow status indicator below the hard AV buttons?

If it is the yellow one that should clear itself once the proper weight level is reached, or a few minutes after the passenger sits in the seat in a way the car would like.

This is a topic that comes up frequently in new car forums in general. A few things stay the same with these. People who are in one of the lowest percentile of adult body masses may see the light illuminate, especially if they shift position. There is no adjustment or repositioning that will cause a person who is under weight to convince the system to deploy the bag.

Please do not allow anyone to tinker or modify the sensors on your car.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Easy solution: Buy her enough gold so her weight exceeds 100lbs.;)
Joke apart, the best place to start is your dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.