Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck patching the stupid Run Flat tires? Several places around here in VA don't want to touch it. It is right in the tread.

Might be time to just ditch these RFs.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I did have one of mine plugged and it has been fine ever since. PepBoys did it. The nail that punctured it was about four inches from the sidewall.

Reactions: offroadtrimike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pep Boys on Broad Street? I see you are VA.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This is the rule of thumb that many use: if the tire has a nail, but retains its air pressure, a proper repair is allowed. If the tire loses pressure, and is driven with no pressure, replace the tire. Additionally, any repair that does not include an interior patch, compromises the tire's speed rating.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I just caught that you were in the area. Nice to know there are more Q50s in Richmond. I've only seen two others here.

I used the Pep Boys on Nine Mile Rd. In the event folks try to give you grief, there is nothing in the Dunlop documentation that prohibits plugging these tires. You just can't plug if the hole is too close to the sidewall. Just like any other tire.

Reactions: offroadtrimike

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is the rule of thumb that many use: if the tire has a nail, but retains its air pressure, a proper repair is allowed. If the tire loses pressure, and is driven with no pressure, replace the tire. Additionally, any repair that does not include an interior patch, compromises the tire's speed rating.
Correction: ANY puncture WILL compromise a tire's speed rating, period. Run flats can be repaired, if the injury is within the tread and NOT on/near the sidewall. However, they must be repaired with special materials and using a very specific process.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone had any luck patching the stupid Run Flat tires? Several places around here in VA don't want to touch it. It is right in the tread.

Unfortunately, I had to replace the tire. Caught a freaking nail IN the sidewall. No one would even consider repairing it because its a run flat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Unfortunately, I had to replace the tire. Caught a freaking nail IN the sidewall. No one would even consider repairing it because its a run flat.
I had a nail in my run flats and the tire was flat about 7 months ago. No gas station would repair it. A tire shop near my house took the tire off the wheel, patched it up from the inside, and never had a problem. P.S. thank god for the spare tire

Reactions: Red Samurai

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
No shop will repair a tire with a nail in the sidewall. Run flat has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had my first flat a few weeks ago. I now have a different opinion of the run flats because I was able to drive the car with zero air pressure for quite some time. I took it to Annapolis Infiniti the next day and they removed a large nail and plugged it (for free since I’m VIP). The tire has been perfectly fine ever since.

So they really can get you out of a dangerous situation such as changing the tire on side of a freeway. My only concern would be if I were away from a large metro that has an Infiniti dealer because as mentioned, I’m sure many places won’t repair a run flat and if it couldn’t be repaired, I doubt many would stock these tires.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just keep in mind that for most brands, a repaired tire (even properly repaired) voids the manufacturer's warranty AND speed rating. The exceptions being only Michelin and their associate brands, such as BF Goodrich & Uniroyal, and Goodyear and their associate brands, Dunlop being one - and only when those tire repairs meet certain specifications.

I say this because I would not want anyone thinking a repaired tire is able to be driven at high speeds, and also so you understand what the warranty (mileage and otherwise) implications truly are.

Look no further than a tire manufacturer's website or the warranty brochure that you received @ the time of purchase.

Also, FYI, OE tires (Dunlop on the Q50 being one) often do not carry milage warranties at all.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Had my first flat a few weeks ago. I now have a different opinion of the run flats because I was able to drive the car with zero air pressure for quite some time. I took it to Annapolis Infiniti the next day and they removed a large nail and plugged it (for free since I’m VIP). The tire has been perfectly fine ever since....
That is irresponsible on their part. An RFT that has indeed been run flat (not just low) should NEVER be repaired. You are treading on thin ice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That is irresponsible on their part. An RFT that has indeed been run flat (not just low) should NEVER be repaired. You are treading on thin ice.
Actually, it was low air so I was able to get it home, but the next day it had no air pressure. I did drive it about a block to get air in the tire before taking it do the dealer.

I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Actually, it was low air so I was able to get it home, but the next day it had no air pressure. I did drive it about a block to get air in the tire before taking it do the dealer.

I'll take my chances.
I guess a block isn't too bad. It also matters how low was low when you drove it previously. If they weren't so stupid expensive I would have just replaced it. It is still a gamble but sounds like the risk is comparatively low. Just be aware that there is a risk.

I would avoid sustained speeds in excess of 100 mph>:D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
When I just got my prior g37 coupe - it caught nail in the sidewall during first 3,000
none wanted to repair it, said "it is illegal".

I dumped a can of fix-a-flat in it and drove for another 35K (though I put that tire in the back and never rotated)

WHen I had new tires installed - installer was laughing at the amount of sh1t from fixaflat on the rim LOL, had to waste 30 minutes cleaning it u

Reactions: Red Samurai

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got a screw in my tire after 1000 miles on the new car, I got the performance wheel package though, so it was easily patched. Still sucks.
Im not a fan of the run-flat with no spare idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I got a big screw in one of my tires last week and Discount Tire patched it for free. I didnt think run-flats could be fixed, but the guy at Discount said Dunlops can be fixed.

It's been a week and no issues since the patch..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.