Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
241 - 260 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
165 Posts
I finished buttoning the instrument panel back up and went for a drive to check out the Sprint Booster...Holy Mother of God! When I drove it home yesterday and gave it the beans, my lower instrument panel wasn't installed and the JB4 was disconnected. With the JB4 back up and running and with the Sprint Booster set on Race setting #9, the throttle response is amazing. If you're in automatic, there's the usual Jatco tranny hesitation and then it hits. If you downshift first and then punch the accelerator pedal, it's instantly brutal in Race - 9. I've turned it down to Sport - 4 for now until I can fine-tune where I want it.

I'll need to turn it off if my wife drives the car or she'll end up sideways before she knows what's happening. Is it worth $300? It is to me. Wow!

Wasn't sure where I wanted to mount the control module, so I stuck it here for now:

View attachment 105628
Awesome,,just totally freaking AWESOME 👌!! LIFE IS GOOD & THIS PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY JUST MAKES YOUR DRIVING EXPERIENCE BETTER. I REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO USING MY CONTROLLER EVERY TIME I DRIVE & sometimes I just get in my car and drive just for the pleasure & thrill & joy that comes from the rush of near instantaneous horsepower that can be unleashed)

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts
I swear people must have thought past people were exaggerating, even when I posted up too....it's just amazing isn't it?
This thing ain't no joke. If you're not tuned and can afford the $300, you need this. The Sprint Booster gets the Avedis Seal of Approval, even with the installation headache that the 12-pin accelerator pedal connector presents.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts
I believe someone posted this before but for those who didn't see this video, it demonstrates how the Sprint Booster or any other throttle controller for that matter works.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I like the demo video. Simple and informative. Has me intrigued!

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,595 Posts
I swear people must have thought past people were exaggerating, even when I posted up too....it's just amazing isn't it?
I don't think any of us thought you guys were exaggerating. We just didn't know which pedal tuner would work with our FEB pedals and then when we did find one, we had to figure out how to actually physically install it! Glad Metal Head got it! So cool.

Metal Head, would you say lowering the lower instrument panel was a must do?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I don't think any of us thought you guys were exaggerating. We just didn't know which pedal tuner would work with our FEB pedals and then when we did find one, we had to figure out how to actually physically install it! Glad Metal Head got it! So cool.

I certainly though people were exaggerating :LOL:. I mean really, how good could it be???? It is THAT good. JB4 good.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
662 Posts
I just added the Hikeit pedal tuner and it is great! A pedal tuner will make a difference on a non RS, but combined with the JB4, it makes the car a bit of an untamed beast in a GOOD way! When the car is not quite warmed up enough for the JB4 to activate it does make a difference, but not the game changer it is at higher boost levels. NOTE the Hikeit units are for the models with the simpler pedal with less pins in the harness.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts

That's a good question. It did make accessing the connector a lot easier for me to get my hand up there for what that's worth. Watching the stereo installer do his thing, I'd say it made it easier for him to get his tools up there to release the connector tab. I do believe that the wiring is slightly different depending on the model year.

I didn't completely remove the lower instrument panel. I popped the instrument side panel loose first (didn't remove it) so the lower instrument panel could come out. I popped the pawls and clips loose on the lower instrument panel. There is one screw directly below the hood release that has to be removed. Since the pedal assembly is on the right side, I felt that all I had to do was swing the lower instrument panel out of the way on the right to get my hand up there. The apron that attaches to the panel has four pawls that pop loose.

The cabin temperature sensor on the lower right-hand corner of the panel has to be removed. There's a screw that attaches the sensor to the panel. The harness has a little slack in it so you can pull the panel out far enough to get a stubby Phillips head on that screw. Once that's removed, the panel can drop down and be moved to the left enough to gain better access. To completely remove the panel requires removing the hood release cable and wiring harness for the OBD port, foot well light and some other stuff and it's all taped up, so I didn't bother with it.

The installer used two tools to release the connector, a small screwdriver and a connector release tool. He was about 5'8" and 150 pounds and had the contortion capabilities of a Cirque du Soleil performer. Me? I looked like a bear trying to climb in and out of a dumpster down there. I simply couldn't release the connector and I couldn't stay in that position for long before my shoulders said enough. That he did it in less than 5 minutes was aided by the panel removal, but I wouldn't be surprised if that spider monkey of a guy didn't need it. It was certainly humbling to see how fast he connected the Sprint Booster after my feeble attempts.

The pain quickly fades away when you see the difference in throttle response. Some guy with a manual N52 did some 0-60 tests with and without the Sprint Booster. He averaged 7.84 seconds on five runs without the Sprint and 7.29 seconds with it on the Race -9 setting. No additional power, just faster throttle response.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts
The Sprint Booster is made in Greece of all places.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
165 Posts
For what it's worth,,I installed a sprint on my friends car and the connector came off with just medium hand grip force,,,also my previous car a Nissan),,was like 10 minutes total and came off sooo easy compared to my Q50,,the almost breaker bar force required on the Infiniti makes install even harder on top of the crawling& contorting..Glad so many of us are seeing why I'm nuts about this tech/additionally certain units deliver more signal voltage than the 60% increase that most units supply..Sat is expected delivery time for my new unit--it provides 80% ⚡ voltage increase,,and I plan to use my existing harness as a shortcut/cheat to just plug in more power,,it's 149 and I had it installed on a previous car; and it basically gets NUTS AT HIGHEST SETTING,,SAT delivery,,I will post pictures and report if plan comes together..

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
165 Posts
Also most units have a head unit which has a I phone type plug which you can unplug head unit from,,having seen multiple brands I realize the plug in is identical,,and should work no prob/ of course I could return it or install in my son's Infiniti, but 149 from discretionary funds is easier for impulsiveness than say $299+,,

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
131 Posts

I was able to do it without lowering panel, but not easy and ended up breaking off the retention tab with a small screwdriver. See post #165.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts
I was able to do it without lowering panel, but not easy and ended up breaking off the retention tab with a small screwdriver. See post #165.
I didn't want to break any tabs, so I pulled the panel. Perhaps I'm being too cautious, but I didn't want to be driving down the road and have the accelerator pedal connector come loose. It would likely be pouring down rain and I'd be half in and out of the car trying to reseat the connector. The panel disassembly was easy. The hardest part was getting at the cabin temperature sensor screw.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
165 Posts
Definitely do not want to break that tab,,felt like I was close to breaking it myself,and I think had I snapped it,I could reconnect it snugly,,but that exact scenario of the rain,,coming lose,,etc,,another mental stressor Definitely do not need!,,

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
131 Posts
Definitely do not want to break that tab,,felt like I was close to breaking it myself,and I think had I snapped it,I could reconnect it snugly,,but that exact scenario of the rain,,coming lose,,etc,,another mental stressor Definitely do not need!,,
Right, not saying I recommend breaking tab. It just happened as I was struggling with it. Now you have me thinking about how to get some electrical tape and zip tie in there to reinforce.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
165 Posts
Ok,,torture alert),,my simple plan did indeed go completely off the rails,,I opted to go for a unit from another manufacturer that provides higher voltage for throttle signal & I know this because it was in my previous flood damaged Nissan, after some time passes, I estimate many of the people who are blown away by their new controllers will be using at increasingly higher settings..I have been hooked in for approx 2 years now across different cars, and I feel I don't want a car without throttle boost-- I am at max setting for daily driving & kinda honeymoon is over,,,and I miscalculated the plug setup going into the head unit,,So,,30 degrees),laying partially inverted on ground, my back resting on the steel kick plate, I WAS REACQUAINTED WITH THE TORTURE,,THE AGONY OF UNHOOKING AND DOING ANOTHER INSTALL) LONG story etc,,I wound up replacing ORIGINAL OEM PLUG,back,all nannies are back,and it's nice to have fwd safety array,,,,BUT MAN CAR IS A [email protected],,LOL,having tune-up done tm,,so will leave oem for now,,but I believe Sprint is my next move,,and end of the saga,all features working all good),,but wanted to just share that doing the install is truly a special agony which time had faded the reality of how much it hurts,,enjoy your cars men..👍

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
165 Posts
Sprint is on sale right now,,I took the plunge,,260 total/ and I will have full use of my nannies,,the control unit is somewhat different,,I m sure I can learn to appreciate its unique albeit tiny design,,,Being fresh from tortuous unhooking of my previous controller,,all plugs/connectors are loose and the layout of same is fresh in my mind so install should really be 10 mins max,,doing hookup now 6th time,,does make this very difficult installation (due to tight quarters & human body size an laying upside down under dashboard,,somewhat easier,,)

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts
The Sprint Booster also has a pedal lock mode where you input a 3-digit security code of your choice which deactivates the accelerator pedal. The car will start but it will only idle until the code is entered into the Sprint Booster. It is somewhat inconvenient as you can't save your code. Each time you activate the pedal lock, you have to enter a new 3-digit code. I can see using it if I'm parking in a sketchy area but not every time I stop the car, like at home. The only way to bypass the pedal lock is to remove the Sprint Booster and we all know how difficult that is. It's better than nothing I suppose.

There's also a valet mode where you can limit the accelerator response 55%, 65%, or 75% depending on the HP rating of your car. It is activated in a similar manner as the pedal lock mode by entering a 3-digit code. I don't let valets drive my car, so I don't think I'll be using that feature but it's there if one wants to use it.

Reactions: IridiumRS400
241 - 260 of 278 Posts