Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Q50 in the Bay Area and proceeded to Sacramento where I live. Every thing worked like gang busters until some where near midway, the NAV display stopped updating and Ms. Voice was silent. I didn't notice because it's a straight shot on I-80.

Then I took a turn not on my electronic route. I expected some insults from Ms. Voice but she was silent.

Then noticed the Q50 freeze had hit me. I found on getting home the NAV had continued working normally. Turning off engine and on again brought everything to life. I got an arrived announcement on the NAV so I assume it worked along during the freeze. Just couldn't move, talk or react to keys, but brain was still working.

Resetting with the volume knob, revived some functions but not NAV. USB music played on.

Auto is awesome. What a shame these bug/s reared their head. Infiniti has to solve and soon. A terrible embarrassment. To have a $50,000 beautiful machine with these flaws, sad.

I also have an annoying popup announcement on boot up that asks if I want to allow voice commands for a "new USB" device. And it's slow to respond.

I have two USB drives with mp3 music.

I bought in spite of these bugs and have faith Infiniti will pursue, identify and squash.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I've lost track of the count of people who have the lockup, but I would expect that it is everyone. Even people who think they haven't noticed a lockup probably have had one. You have to be interacting with the system, trying to change radio, climate, or using navigation to notice it.

Reactions: Skoots

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've lost track of the count of people who have the lockup, but I would expect that it is everyone. Even people who think they haven't noticed a lockup probably have had one. You have to be interacting with the system, trying to change radio, climate, or using navigation to notice it.
I agree. SM whom I reported freeze to, said this was his first.

I think he may be right, that many people not playing with the system will not notice or figure it was something they did.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Test driving this weekend - I asked SM how many their dealership has sold - answer - "20" with this SM selling 5 total. Not a high volume dealership. I asked "How many with complaint of freezing InTouch or NAV systems". Answer - none but I don't think they want to be honest, since it may effect my purchase.

He did say that iPhones and Apple are a problem but blamed it on Apple for not cooperating with Infiniti corporate engineers. Again, not sure how accurate that info might be.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Test driving this weekend - I asked SM how many their dealership has sold - answer - "20" with this SM selling 5 total. Not a high volume dealership. I asked "How many with complaint of freezing InTouch or NAV systems". Answer - none but I don't think they want to be honest, since it may effect my purchase.

He did say that iPhones and Apple are a problem but blamed it on Apple for not cooperating with Infiniti corporate engineers. Again, not sure how accurate that info might be.
Haha! Kinda ironic that they offer Apple Gift Cards to the ones who pre-ordered then! :D

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts

Probably a windows user ;)

Yeah, I don't think many dealerships are going to admit to the lockups on a test drive. It was important enough for Infiniti to add language about the reset button and potentially slow start up in a manual update (see the mother of all manuals thread).

It's good to ask the dealers about reported lockups but don't expect that all will necessarily be truthful about that. Some likely will be though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'll bet every Q50 sold with current software has the capacity for InTouch freeze. Admitting that to a customer would probably get you fired. And sent to live with Snowden.

I have no Apple gear at all. And just the two 8Gb USB drives. so I can't blame Apple for my freeze.

I feel like the problem is not in the NAV. It seems to operate during a freeze but can't communicate through InTouch. My guess is the InTouch interface is the culprit. During my freeze, I lost lower panel control. A reboot with the volume knob cleaned up most of the InTouch, but the NAV control took a vehicle reboot.

On a happy note, it seems most of the other driver assist gizmos are solid performers in their own isolation. But I'll be testing.

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Registered
118 Posts
And to mention:

SM allowed me to Bluetooth connect my iPhone 5 and sync all contacts (have over 300). I streamed Pandora in the car using the dealerships WiFi network. I then streamed my own playlists via Bluetooth. No problem with anything.

I used the Nav and used voice commands to set destinations. I used the voice commands to make three phone calls based on both contact names and on dialed number only. No freezing or issues at all. However, a limited test for a limited time. This was on the AWD Sport Hybrid.

I did have a USB drive with me that I had just received in the mail (ordered from Amazon after Aggie posted) but I didn't have songs loaded on it since I had no time to prepare it, having just received it that am.

Again, all worked well and I had no issues. I do have to say, the bass on the sound system is too much and too muddy (I'm 48, so booming the bass is not my thing). Also, the touch controls to adjust sound settings (fade, balance, treble, bass) were slow to respond and give me feed back. Seemed to jump to the most extreme setting before displaying how it moved with just one touch. Then I could back down from the most extreme fade to the rear or balance to the right, even though I just tapped it once. SM said " it may have registered it on the scale of dots rather than the "+" sign you intended. " Maybe.

The hybrid, on hard acceleration up a ramp, with A/C running, gave me a feel of turbo lag, like in my wife's TDI VW Convertible. However, it performed well otherwise. I took an off ramp (warning the SM, which he was fine with), very fast, at about 45 and turned onto an empty road. Handling was very good. I don't mind the run flat on the hybrid. Feed back was fine and bumps, though transmitted, are on par with my Aspec TL (2005).

Anyway - not an organized review, but wanted to mention those few things.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Have you try sport mode with manual shift? If not, can you try that and see if it help. Also, make sure the battery is fully charge for acceleration.
I haven't have the opportunity to try that yet.

The hybrid, on hard acceleration up a ramp, with A/C running, gave me a feel of turbo lag, like in my wife's TDI VW Convertible. However, it performed well otherwise. I took an off ramp (warning the SM, which he was fine with), very fast, at about 45 and turned onto an empty road. Handling was very good. I don't mind the run flat on the hybrid. Feed back was fine and bumps, though transmitted, are on par with my Aspec TL (2005).

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I think he may be right, that many people not playing with the system will not notice or figure it was something they did.
The frozen navigation I had yesterday didn't even occur to me until I noticed the time wasn't changing on the Nav screen. I was on my way back from Canada and I realized it said it was 6:23 PM for the past 7 minutes.

I think its happening to everyone but some people are not even noticing it or interacting with their system enough.

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
The frozen navigation I had yesterday didn't even occur to me until I noticed the time wasn't changing on the Nav screen. I was on my way back from Canada and I realized it said it was 6:23 PM for the past 7 minutes.

I think its happening to everyone but some people are not even noticing it or interacting with their system enough.
Exactly. That's what I've been trying to say to everyone. You won't notice it until you realize the woman is no longer reading directions, or if you try to interact with it. The map will still move and even move your current location along the map, but the entire interface gets frozen and you can not do anything, nor will it update your directions if you go off course, etc.

Reactions: Latrant

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Yep. If you look at the time on the Navigation in the video and then the time on the display in the dash...you can see that the dash time is right and the navi time is stuck at 6:23:

The turn by turn in the screen on the dash was was frozen, the map was till moving, but I was getting no updates from the navigation system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.