Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the cheesy title, couldn't resist. :D But trust me, you'd rather see my bodywork than my body. ;)

So, I had plans to only show the finished product. But, I guess I am getting a little too excited and figured, what the H?, I'll show teaser pics first. :)

In quick summary: Car's at the shop now getting a body kit painted/installed and some other body work done. I'll list below the major things I am having done and I'll post the current progress pics I received from the shop. I'll post completed pics when done.

Summary of work:

• Stillen front lip - body color (went with body color as it seems most everyone else goes with black)
  • Duraflex side skirts - body color (fiber glass!, pain in the B to work with)
  • Duraflex rear lower bumper lip - all body color with the diffuser area gloss black (fiber glass! :eek:)
  • Cheap ebay carbon fiber rear decklid "duckbill" spoiler - body color (for $140, this thing is pretty nice!)
  • Front chrome grill frame - body color (everyone does black so I wanted something different. Almost did gunmetal)
  • Door handle chrome - body color
  • Chrome piece below rear license plate - body color (trying to match the '18+ which I prefer)
  • Front lower flat black diamond grill - same gunmetal used on the OEM upper grill (I love the OEM grill gunmetal color, wanted them to match)
  • Front Infiniti emblem in upper grill - gunmetal
  • Side chrome window trim - gunmetal (everyone does black so I wanted to expand my "gunmetal theme" - no black, no body color)
  • Chrome piece above rear license plate - gunmetal (trying to expand the gunmetal theme to all 4 sides of the car)
  • Rear trunk Infiniti emblem - gunmetal
  • Rear 'Q50S' and side 'S 3.0 t' emblems - shave! (I'll do this myself when I get the car back)
  • Rear taillights - medium smoke tint
  • Rear red lower bumper lights - medium smoke tint
  • Side view mirror blinker lights - medium smoke tint

Hoping to get her back some time next week. I miss her!

Thanks for letting me share.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
**** yeah looking sweet!!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Based on the other vehicles in the background, it appears to be a high end shop. You must be loaded.

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Absolutely awesome and outstanding!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice. You gave me some ideas for my Iridium Blue! Love the gunmetal finish. And that diffuser is very nice. Definitely one of my next mods... Now that I got my car back from the body shop after the accident.

Probably swing by Stillen and pick up the rear stabilizer bar as well.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know how the duraflex bumper turns out for fitment.
This is for sure the most nerve-racking piece I bought. I tested it myself and it was pretty good but had some air gaps near the outside fenders. The hope is that the pros can make it fit right and make it sit 100% flush. They assured me they can. They sent me an update pic a few weeks ago where they had to cut it and expand it a little! They haven't sent pics of the final painted product installed yet. I still don't know how that thing will attach to the OEM bumper cover! I hope they do! :nervous:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, so I guess she's done!! :D Got a phone call and these pics from the shop. They still owe me a carwash, and I talked them into shaving the side and right rear emblems for me since I am paying cash. Also, I have some new wheels at home that will go on when I get her home. Next, I need to do something about that dreaded rear wheel well gap. Then I am done with exterior aesthetics and can get back on go-fast and other mods. :big grin:

Overall, from the pics, I am very happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice...love the spoiler...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice...love the spoiler...

Thanks Jp. If interested, here's the link to the one I bought. I just noticed I paid $127 in June. Now they are asking $139.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264341505396

Quality and fitment seem very nice. The body shop said even after they sanded it, it was still structurally well-built. Very lightweight. Arrived reasonably quick and was packaged pretty well. No hardware/sticky tape, or instructions. You'll have to source your own double sticky tape.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Looks pretty nice ptatohed!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks Jp. If interested, here's the link to the one I bought. I just noticed I paid $127 in June. Now they are asking $139.

Quality and fitment seem very nice. The body shop said even after they sanded it, it was still structurally well-built. Very lightweight. Arrived reasonably quick and was packaged pretty well. No hardware/sticky tape, or instructions. You'll have to source your own double sticky tape.
Thank you,

From the looks it’s still a bargain @ $139.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
268 Posts

Hey spud...take this advice from someone with a lot of experience with carbon fiber add-ons...look into getting it wrapped with quality paint protection film and then keep a nice coat of ceramic on top of it. These accessories tend to yellow over time and the clear coat can begin to delaminate due to the UV and look cloudy. Years ago, I did the same thing on my Audi and started with a rear spoiler. After a year, I had to remove it due to the clear coat starting to delaminate and flake and, luckily, the manufacturer took it back without hesitation (it was $400 on my Audi). The replacement I had wrapped in PPF and ceramic coated it. Never an issue again. This is exactly what I did on my RS too on my rear factory CF spoiler and CF mirror covers and I am getting the new CF grill surround I just installed wrapped next Friday. Then everything gets a coat of ceramic to keep it well protected. I know this thing was only about $130 but taking it off to replace it is a ROYAL PITA as I had to do it and never want to do it again. Just some words of wisdom that I hope you listen to;)

Your car is looking awesome!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Why I don't own an Audi. Parts and dealership maintenance is way to much $
Actually, much better now than in the past. The reliability and maintenance is far cheaper than folks think on the newer models. As far as the $400...the OEM rear spoiler was $900...the aftermarket was $400. Regardless, to get this thread back on track, no matter what you buy that has carbon fiber accessories you need to protect them or you will have issues over time!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts