Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Plastidipped

16K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  2015Holden 
#1 ·
Heres a few pics of the plastidip I said I was going to do long ago, did 4 coats top and bottom, looks great and I really like it. Ill probably have it vinyl wrapped in the future.

oh yeah, debadged her too ;) will take some dslr pics when shes dried and clean.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Sandman
#3 ·
Vancity, looks good. I have the same done to mine, except I dipped the Q50S rather than debadge. I used 4 coats of black and 3 coats of glossifier on mine. I'm looking to do more, but playing with dip tint to get a darker/richer black first. Then I'll do my window trim and front grill area. Only want the Infiniti Mt. Fugi emblems in chrome on the car front and back.

#4 ·
Ive been tempted to try glossifier but im not I like the texture as ive never seen one in person yet. but the idea of it sounds good. ill be doing my grill chrome trim, just trying to figure out the best way to mask off the mesh grill itself without taking off the whole grill.

Reactions: mak091184
#5 ·
The glossifier works well, but I find the more coats you put, the smoother the texture. It can have a tendency to cloud up if humid out when applying. It gets real smooth if you spray a coat or two of Naptha over it as it re-liquefies the top layers and smooths them out more.

#7 ·
It is more involved and expensive to wrap, but you can count on the finish being exactly what you would expect when completed. Pros and Cons to everything. Post up pictures with what you end up doing.

#11 ·
I did feel gloss would be nicer, maybe satin, which is why wrapping is still being considered.

The product is called plasti dip, color is black. its a rubberish spray that sprays on wet and when it drys with enough coats, it peels off completely.
if youre in the states and you wanna get some I think dipyourcar.com has the best prices, or a local hardwear store will have some as well?

#12 ·
Hey Van/Tony, how did you guys remove the Infiniti rear arch? I need to put foam inside due to my subs.

#13 ·
Didnt remove it, just plastidipped it right on, idk how Tony did it though most likely the same way

#14 ·
Dang, ok. Thanks for the fast reply!

#16 ·
TYTY just what I was looking for. I knew I saw it somewhere but forgot where.

#17 ·
I ordered two cans of AutoDip. I've read and learned a lot about their products and looks legit. Better than plastidip for sure.

#19 ·
I am having trouble popping out the top chrome trim on the trunk. I got all he nuts off but cant seem to pop it out. I know there are two hard clips but i tried to squeeze and pop them out but its but giving in. Any suggestions?

#23 ·
Let us know how it come out man! If the guy at the shop says its too difficult to do the trim with the letters. i will Autodip the trunk pieces and save a little money and just have the window trim and grille done.

#24 · (Edited)
Recently stumbled upon Autodip! Not sure why they are so unknown though, only like 12 videos on youtube since their product release in 2014(?)

I think plastidip is definitely more forgiving and does not require as much skill to paint on smooth, but if done correctly the Autodip looks really good! Not as crisp and clean as vinyl, but definitely a really good finish. Love the gloss look compared to the dusty/matte plastidip look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.