Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m really close to buying (private sale) a used 2015 Q50S that has approximately 25,300 miles for 16k USD. The price is decent for its mileage but I had the impression this whole time that the car had the Deluxe Touring or Tech Package based on the sole fact that its rear seats fold down (I heard the rear seats only fold down if you have the Deluxe Touring Package equipped). I am currently second guessing the purchase of this car because I wanted the Tech or Deluxe Touring package but I don’t think this car has it. I've read online that split folding rear seats are standard in the Canadian model (I live in Canada), and because they're standard, I think this car only has the navigation and moonroof packages (because it doesn't have the wood trim which is only in Deluxe Touring models). The deal is pretty good in my opinion, but if I were to go through with it, I think I'd come down with buyers remorse because I could've waited for a 2015 Q50S (I want the 3.7) that has some of those neat features like the 360 camera, memory seats, auto-tilting mirror when reversing, emergency front collision braking, blindspot assist, etc, and I'd also like to try DAS.

I don't really want to let this deal slip away, so can someone please convince me that I don't need all of this tech?

Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Sorry - opposite of what you are asking for. I've always been a big believer in not settling. Get the options/features you want. A car purchase is a big decision. Something you'll live with for years. Get exactly what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Pay a little more, get something nice. You'll never be disappointed.

I've said this several times here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry - opposite of what you are asking for. I've always been a big believer in not settling. Get the options/features you want. A car purchase is a big decision. Something you'll live with for years. Get exactly what you want. Good luck!
Haha no worries, I see where you're coming from. It's just difficult to be picky when you're shopping in the used car market; I'm not sure if I'll find the perfect car with all the packages, low mileage and decent price anytime soon. This car is as close to perfect as I think I'm going to get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tech on an older car is just another source for problems. If you want a techy car get something newer....if you want a performance car on a budget...less "tech" is more in my opinion.
I agree with you on this. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts
If you can post the VIN, we can get the Monroney sticker for the car and tell you exactly what options your prospective car has for sure.

Reactions: 4bliss

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like you need to really determine "must have" from "want to have." Don't buy it, no matter the "deal", if it doesn't meet your "must have" list. Also don't fall in love with a car because it is "close to what I want and a really good deal."

If you want to go down that road, just purchase a cheaper daily driver and save up some more for the "real" car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you need to really determine "must have" from "want to have." Don't buy it, no matter the "deal", if it doesn't meet your "must have" list. Also don't fall in love with a car because it is "close to what I want and a really good deal."

If you want to go down that road, just purchase a cheaper daily driver and save up some more for the "real" car.
You have a good point there. It’s just extremely difficult to find the spec I want in my area. This car doesn’t seem to be popular as I don’t see many on the road and for sale.

It checks off all the “must haves” but it’s just the lack of those bells and whistles that makes me feel some slight disappointment.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts
Here’s the VIN: JN1BV7AR9FM391413.

Appreciated.
The website I get free Monroney stickers from isn't doing so at the moment. Another site that posts unofficial Monroney data shows that VIN has no tech or deluxe touring package. Perhaps we can get @Phagan90 to run that for you.

Reactions: BigHeadClan and 888

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,429 Posts
Haha no worries, I see where you're coming from. It's just difficult to be picky when you're shopping in the used car market; I'm not sure if I'll find the perfect car with all the packages, low mileage and decent price anytime soon. This car is as close to perfect as I think I'm going to get.

Thanks!
Enjoy!

Reactions: 888

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,666 Posts
IThe deal is pretty good in my opinion, but if I were to go through with it, I think I'd come down with buyers remorse because I could've waited for a 2015 Q50S (I want the 3.7) that has some of those neat features like the 360 camera, memory seats, auto-tilting mirror when reversing, emergency front collision braking, blindspot assist, etc, and I'd also like to try DAS.
Having come from my last car which was fairly devoid of options, and my wife's Ford Escape which is the highest trim level, Some of these "nice-to-have" features can prove to be less than they first appear. Obviously this varies from person-to-person and their specific situation.

The 360-degree camera - I find it occasionally useful if I have to park against a curb - I dislike it because it makes the rear view smaller on the display and details are harder to see and changing the "view" always defaults back when you again shift out of reverse. I rarely parallel park and always park at the far extremes of parking lots with no other cars around me.

Memory seats - my wife has yet to drive my car after 3 years so I have never have had to move the seat other than when the car is in for service. Since I drive her car regularly I would miss that feature on the Ford.

Auto-tilting review mirror - again, I have it disabled because I don't regularly park against a curb. Until you mentioned it, I forgot the car even had that feature.

Emergency front braking - I'll give you that one.

Blindspot assist - for me the lights are not bright enough in the daytime to be useful and being on the A-pillars are poorly placed in my opinion when compared to our Ford that has the lights in the mirrors. I still have good range of motion in my neck and have no issues looking over my shoulders.

DAS - you will not be missing anything other than a system that is expensive to fix if and when it develops an issue.

You said it had navigation which while it pales in comparison to what your phone is capable of, from what I have heard it is much better to look at than the clock that appears when you don't have nav. I could live without the sunroof as I have driven exactly zero times with it open and have rarely even had the sunshade open.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and it is only you that can decide what is important and not important to have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The website I get free Monroney stickers from isn't doing so at the moment. Another site that posts unofficial Monroney data shows that VIN has no tech or deluxe touring package. Perhaps we can get @Phagan90 to run that for you.
Yeah, after looking at it today, it most definitely didn't have Tech and Deluxe Touring, but I still really like it.

I appreciate that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having come from my last car which was fairly devoid of options, and my wife's Ford Escape which is the highest trim level, Some of these "nice-to-have" features can prove to be less than they first appear. Obviously this varies from person-to-person and their specific situation.

The 360-degree camera - I find it occasionally useful if I have to park against a curb - I dislike it because it makes the rear view smaller on the display and details are harder to see and changing the "view" always defaults back when you again shift out of reverse. I rarely parallel park and always park at the far extremes of parking lots with no other cars around me.

Memory seats - my wife has yet to drive my car after 3 years so I have never have had to move the seat other than when the car is in for service. Since I drive her car regularly I would miss that feature on the Ford.

Auto-tilting review mirror - again, I have it disabled because I don't regularly park against a curb. Until you mentioned it, I forgot the car even had that feature.

Emergency front braking - I'll give you that one.

Blindspot assist - for me the lights are not bright enough in the daytime to be useful and being on the A-pillars are poorly placed in my opinion when compared to our Ford that has the lights in the mirrors. I still have good range of motion in my neck and have no issues looking over my shoulders.

DAS - you will not be missing anything other than a system that is expensive to fix if and when it develops an issue.

You said it had navigation which while it pales in comparison to what your phone is capable of, from what I have heard it is much better to look at than the clock that appears when you don't have nav. I could live without the sunroof as I have driven exactly zero times with it open and have rarely even had the sunshade open.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and it is only you that can decide what is important and not important to have.
Wow, thank you for your input on every feature I listed. I'm starting to see where you're coming from and I think I can see myself saying the same things you're saying about all of these features.

I rarely park beside curbs and I also rarely parallel park, so maybe those features wouldn't be much use to me either, along with the auto-tilt mirror.

I also agree with your points about the blindspot indicators, it was odd to see them on the A-pillars. Blindspot mirrors would also be sufficient I think if I didn't have good range of motion in my neck haha.

Thanks for that reassurance about the DAS, I'd be worried to run into any DAS problems down the line because I'm pretty sure this car is out of warranty. The repairs don't sound like they'd be cheap.

Yeah, the navigation was lacklustre and I use my phone as a GPS anyways. Without a doubt I'd rather look at the nav instead of a clock haha.

Thank you very much, your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,666 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm on a new account. Didn't wanna be Potato anymore.
Hopefully you don't upset the moderator gods. Maybe they can inactivate your old account. You'd hate to get mistaken for @ptatohed

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
'18 Q50 RWD Sport - Iridium Blue
26 Posts
As Pillboy has already detailed..I also desired these additional features, but with having them...they're ultimately negligible luxuries.
Sure you can increase brightness intensity of blind spot warning lights, but even on the 3..the highest..it's still negligible during daytime.
Lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control does indeed work wonders on long highway drives; however, I've often worried about being rear ended because the car proactively brakes to the slightest of changes to vehicles ahead.
Braking to get into a turn lane...my little girl's punk boyfriend weaving in front of me..grandma taking extra extra long to turn off...and instantly my throttle response is limited and car additionally proactively brakes.
It's felt dangerous at times..and I can't be the only one who's experienced it.
Adaptive cruise is good on highway drives, but not worth it otherwise.

As someone else mentioned...the more tech you have and older it gets..all the more costly to keep functioning...out of warranty, it sucks.

The pre-emptive braking to avoid collisions definitely does help and will save you...but honestly, drive smart/aware as you should and it shouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately...I appreciate my Bose stereo and extendable sport seats more than any of those fancy tech upgrades..
Well okay the illuminated grill emblem and kick plates are cool too...but don't pay a premium for these things that are so easily done yourself later on.

Happy car hunting man!

Reactions: 888
1 - 20 of 35 Posts